December LSAT Study Diary (formerly October)

gdane

Re: October LSAT Study Diary

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:41 pm

I havent read all your entries, but it seems that the for the last 4 or 5 days your results havent been as good as I've seen from you in the past. Are you sure youre not burned out a little? You've done so much work to this point, maybe taking 1 or 2 days off is ok.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 pm

gdane5 wrote:I havent read all your entries, but it seems that the for the last 4 or 5 days your results havent been as good as I've seen from you in the past. Are you sure youre not burned out a little? You've done so much work to this point, maybe taking 1 or 2 days off is ok.

Yeah, I agree. Taking a break did wonders for me back in June.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm

I think I might just do a quick review of the LG and RC section tomorrow, and briefly go over the LR questions I missed again and call it a day. I'm not sure that I'm burned out, but the LR performance was so whacky and out of sync on how I did on the other two sections. I did a bunch of difficult LR problems yesterday and did alright, but it seemed that I wasn't processing them correctly today. Really pisses me off that a mightily sloppy performance on LR ruined what could have been a really good PT score. I really have no idea if the LR bomb was an uncharacteristic outlier or if it is a signal my pacing and thought processing speed need to be revamped. But I got a lot of easy questions I spent time with wrong too (including when I redid them untimed). I seemed to be "getting" LR in the past two weeks too. Sigh*

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Don't get discouraged! I'm going to start a wordpress blog too and I'll post questions I have problems with and short cuts (if I can figure them out). My close friend got a 180 and he said he just did all the PrepTests.

Anaconda wrote:I think I might just do a quick review of the LG and RC section tomorrow, and briefly go over the LR questions I missed again and call it a day. I'm not sure that I'm burned out, but the LR performance was so whacky and out of sync on how I did on the other two sections. I did a bunch of difficult LR problems yesterday and did alright, but it seemed that I wasn't processing them correctly today. Really pisses me off that a mightily sloppy performance on LR ruined what could have been a really good PT score. I really have no idea if the LR bomb was an uncharacteristic outlier or if it is a signal my pacing and thought processing speed need to be revamped. But I got a lot of easy questions I spent time with wrong too (including when I redid them untimed). I seemed to be "getting" LR in the past two weeks too. Sigh*

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Wed, August 11th

Take another PT tomorrow? That's the question of the night (if I do it will be either PT 27 or PT 24).

Didn't do much today besides briefly review one LR section from SP A and reread the LRB chapter on Justify questions (they're f'ing tricky!)

Really not sure if I should take another PT tomorrow, leaning towards doing so since I pretty motivated to beat my highest score of 162 and felt that my last PT was a fluke since I botched my timing on LR.

edisongrl

Postby edisongrl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Anaconda wrote:Wed, August 11th

Take another PT tomorrow? That's the question of the night (if I do it will be either PT 27 or PT 24).

Didn't do much today besides briefly review one LR section from SP A and reread the LRB chapter on Justify questions (they're f'ing tricky!)

Really not sure if I should take another PT tomorrow, leaning towards doing so since I pretty motivated to beat my highest score of 162 and felt that my last PT was a fluke since I botched my timing on LR.

Keep up the good work! You are really devoted. I am anxious to see what your score will be on game day.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:10 am

Thread of my day: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126700

At least after doing the last section I would have come out of the test with a ~160 thanks to the monster curve on PT 27.

I reviewed all the LR questions tonight - I felt that I have never examined LR questions as thoroughly as I did today. I went over every single question - in order, and basically redid them informally. For once I actually understood every single question by the end of the night - usually I give up understanding a few.

The -4 on the last LR was definitely redeeming, but it was a lot easier than the 1st LR. Regardless I'm going to go back and review the first LR section tomorrow.

I also casually went over some tough LR problems on PT 25 - got some wrong and some right. The answers were obvious with review though, to the point of almost slapping my forehead, which I think is a good sign.

I ordered the Atlas LG and LR books - I need some major help with improving speed on sequencing games, and I think I could benefit from a fresh perspective. I should be getting them by early next week.

I'm planning on taking a full break on Saturday and Sunday and then take PT 24 on Monday. After PT 24 I go all the way to PT 37-39, and then finally the homestretch of 40-60 (also have Superprep B, C, and June 07 left). I don't plan on doing all these PTs - I want to save at least 6-8 in case I need to retake in December. I guess I could always retake old PTs if really desperate at the end.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Friday, August 13th

Today I only reviewed one of the LR sections from PT 27, and also tried out some "hard" LR problems on PT 30. I did pretty well on the questions on PT 30, although I have tried them all before, but I clearly understood almost every one. The good thing is that the answer popped out fairly often, I was able to quickly eliminate the wrong answer a majority of the time. Some questions still are hard for me - they usually involve the complex stimulus and abstract wording. I think method and parallel questions are my weakest at this point - I think I'm slowly progressing on flaw questions - treating them like weaken questions is pretty effective.

I also went over the Snakes and Lizards game of PT 27. Not as daunting as I thought. I got 5/6 untimed - there's no doubt this games takes a LONG time, but even though the setup is extremely challenging, the questions are not nearly as bad and most of them add conditions so you have a clear idea of how to set them up. Intimidation aside, snakes and lizards is not as hard as I thought it was, the only tough factor is understanding how to approach the setup.

Tomorrow I'm going to do very minimal work. Might do 1-2 logic games and do a few more hard LR questions (no more than a dozen). I'll repeat this on Sunday - these are my "break" days.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:44 am

Saturday, August 16th

Today I recieved the Atlas LR Strategy Book. Read the first 4 chapters. It is interesting how Atlas categorizes games in comparison to Powerscore. When I'm done with the Atlas LR and LG book, I'll post a comprehensive comparison review with the PS Bibles.

Some good news is that in the few LR questions I looked at in the Atlas book, the answers seemed to pop at at me, although they really weren't very difficult. Tomorrow I'm going to continue reading the Atlas LR book and that's about it.

I'll take PT 24 on either Monday or Tuesday (most likely Tuesday).

I'm REALLY concerned that I only have ~24 PT's left if I need to retake in December. I'd like to get at least 16 more in between now and October. I seriously regret wasting large parts of PTs 29-35 on unnecessary question trials and practice testing in my very pre-study period in May.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Dont worry about running out of material. I'm doing SuperPrep's A,B, C and PT's 40-60 from Sept 4th to October 7th. Ive done SuperPrep before, I've done PT's 40-58 (58 being the Sept. 2009 LSAT), but I still feel confident that I'll have no problem essentially "reusing" material. Granted the time frame is a year apart, whereas yours would be a few months, but you'll be ok. Also, I'm so freaking excited to start doing PT's. My LR has really improved, RC is coming along nicely and LG is LG haha.

Just relax. You've been doing well. There'll be no need for you to retake. Unless you get a 179 in Oct and decide you want to retake in Dec to get a perfect 180. :mrgreen:

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 pm

gdane5 wrote:Dont worry about running out of material. I'm doing SuperPrep's A,B, C and PT's 40-60 from Sept 4th to October 7th. Ive done SuperPrep before, I've done PT's 40-58 (58 being the Sept. 2009 LSAT), but I still feel confident that I'll have no problem essentially "reusing" material. Granted the time frame is a year apart, whereas yours would be a few months, but you'll be ok. Also, I'm so freaking excited to start doing PT's. My LR has really improved, RC is coming along nicely and LG is LG haha.

Just relax. You've been doing well. There'll be no need for you to retake. Unless you get a 179 in Oct and decide you want to retake in Dec to get a perfect 180. :mrgreen:

Haha thanks. Can't say I'm as excited to start taking PTs, but I have a strong feeling I can only go up from here.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Sunday, August 15th

Another light day. Re-read the LRB chapters on causal relationships and strengthen questions. Once again, although I re-did the example problems in the LRB, the answers popped out and I easily eliminated the wrong answers.

Tomorrow I'm going to probably do some more re-reading of the LRB and maybe do a few LGs. I might also take PT 24 tomorrow (if the ink for my printer arrives before noon). If not, I'll take PT 24 on Tuesday.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey just curious, how much paper/ink do you use printing a PT. I have the 2007 LSAT saved on my computer. Do you print on both sides of the page?

Thanks!

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:20 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hey just curious, how much paper/ink do you use printing a PT. I have the 2007 LSAT saved on my computer. Do you print on both sides of the page?

Thanks!

Don't think my printer can print double sided - but ink is way more expensive than paper, so it doesn't make a huge difference economics wise. I usually reuse the old PTs as scrap paper for LR questions and LGs and what not.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:45 am

Anaconda wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Hey just curious, how much paper/ink do you use printing a PT. I have the 2007 LSAT saved on my computer. Do you print on both sides of the page?

Thanks!

Don't think my printer can print double sided - but ink is way more expensive than paper, so it doesn't make a huge difference economics wise. I usually reuse the old PTs as scrap paper for LR questions and LGs and what not.

All printers can print double sided. The trick is just figuring out which side is up when you put it in the printer - then you just print the odd numbered pages, flip them over so that the blank side is up in the printer, and print even numbered pages.

But yeah, re-using scrap paper and doing it on the other side is economical/environmental, so that's not really a big deal.

Good luck with 24!

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Monday, August 16th

Light day for the 4th straight day. Read the LRB chapter on Parallel questions, and read the first few pages of Superprep's LR section.

I'm taking PT 24 tomorrow at my house, with a virtual proctor mp3 playing in the background - aiming to get higher than my recent string of low 160's.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Just took PT 24 timed. I did fine with timing on LR1 and RC. LR2 was hard and I struggled with time at the end. LG was tricky - I fucked up two games by not writing down a rule correctly. The 4th game was pretty darn hard (grouping game about illnesses). I'm also a little uneasy about RC -there were some tough questions.

I still think the time constraint for LR is really messing me up, I feel so rushed and I don't think I'm doing the same concrete process of elimination I do untimed.

I also had trouble concentrating at the end of the second LR, felt my brain was turning to mush.

If I had to guess how I did, I'd probably say ~74 raw score, which not surprisingly would put me at a 161.

Going to have lunch and then re-take the test untimed. I'm SO tempted to grade, but I'm going to resist.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Quick question, are you exercising on a regular basis? Running, lifing weights, etc? If not, you need to do so. Get your blood pumping. Eat right and exercise at least 3 times a week for at least an hour a workout and you'll feel much better.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:04 pm

gdane5 wrote:Quick question, are you exercising on a regular basis? Running, lifing weights, etc? If not, you need to do so. Get your blood pumping. Eat right and exercise at least 3 times a week for at least an hour a workout and you'll feel much better.

Really? It's funny you mention that, because my score was pretty high a few weeks ago when I was still working out. Since that time, I've noticed a slump. Does it really make a difference, or am I assuming causation from correlation.

Sigh... Did I really just ask that?

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 pm

3|ink wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Quick question, are you exercising on a regular basis? Running, lifing weights, etc? If not, you need to do so. Get your blood pumping. Eat right and exercise at least 3 times a week for at least an hour a workout and you'll feel much better.

Really? It's funny you mention that, because my score was pretty high a few weeks ago when I was still working out. Since that time, I've noticed a slump. Does it really make a difference, or am I assuming causation from correlation.

Sigh... Did I really just ask that?

Of course it makes a difference. So many good things happen when we work out including, but not limited to, increased blood flow, release of "feel good" endophins, excretion of wastes and harmful by-products through sweat and pissing, etc. Work out. Hard. It helps.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:08 pm

The results for PT24 are in - and they're not very good.

RC: -12 (WTF??!? - I got 1/7 on the last passage!)
LR1: -6
LG: -5 (-4 on on the game I misread a rule for, and a -0 on game #4 which was very difficult)
LR2: -6

Overall I did a bit better on LR than what I've been normally doing recently, and LG would have probably been a -1 or -2 overall had I written down the rule correctly!

Overall my raw score of 72 nets me my third straight 160... sigh...

I already redid the first 2 sections of the test:
-7 RC
-5 LR1

I'm going to redo the last 2 sections later today, and then review either late tonight or tomorrow.

No real improvement on LR, which might indicate I performed up to my potential (~80% accuracy), on RC I missed subtle things on the first two passages (they were really easy in retrospect), but I still got a -5 on the last passage!

That passage is about "fake" and "authentic" art - apparently I missed some big ideas during both read throughs. UGHHH.

I'm not going to let this discourage me. My LR is good enough to get me a mid 160 score at this point, I just need to do a lot better on RC and minimize my mistakes on LG. Even if I still fucked up that one RC passage, had I just gotten a -9 instead of a -12, and not messed up the rule on that LG, I would have had a 164, which would have been nice.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 pm

My untimed retake of PT 24 was a 168

RC -12 to -7
LR1 -6 to -5
LR2 -6 to -3
LG -5 to -1

Raw Score: 72 to 85 (160 to 168)

The last two LGs were bitches, as was the last RC passage.

Going to review some of the LR tonight and maybe do RC tomorrow.

I might just be up for another PT tomorrow, but I've only got about ~20 left, so don't want to get ahead of myself. It might be wiser just to do a few RC passages after my -12 today.

I think it's safe to say my fundamentals are fairly strong - on LR only hard questions continue to trip me up untimed, I can solve any LG untimed. I just need to improve timing and apply strategies learned to LR and LG and RC more consistently.

EDIT: Tomorrow - Review LG, RC from PT 24 - type out LR explanations
Thursday - Take PT 37

I'm kind of concerned that I'll probably have seen a few of the LR questions from PT 37 since I might have forgotten to cross them off when I was doing LR drills from the Cambridge question types. Hope it won't inflate my score.

Also, I've got 27 PTs left. I'm going to save these PTs for a possible retake:

Superprep C, PT 41, 46, 47, 49, 50, 56, 57, June 2007

18 in the next 56 days is probably realistic with school starting soon. Worst case scenario is if I need to retake I could always re-do a few of the old PTs from a while back. Hope it won't come down to that. :)

Also, I was thinking about how RC gets HARDER in the 40's and 50's, and I literally burst out laughing when I figured if I got a -12 on PT 24, that would correspond to a -20 on PT 60. 7/27 would be an epic LOL moment, and I think even the people PTing in the 140's would never approach.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 pm

Wednesday, August 18th

Did the first 3 RC passages today from PT 19:

It was pretty much a disaster:

Passage 1: 6/8 in 10 minutes
Passage 2: 1/6 in 10 minutes (FML)
Passage 3: 6/6 in 12 minutes (12 minutes is wayyy too long)

I really fucked up the second passage (on burial laws of Native Americans). I can't comprehend how I can go 1/6 on a question set.

I also did 2 LGs:

PT 7 Game 1 - Grouping game, got 6/6 in 6 min 30 sec. NICE. This one was tough too.
PT 3 Game 3 - basic linear game, got 6/7 in 6 min 30 sec. Stupid mistake was on a "max spaces between" question, silly me didn't bother to start from the highest number and move down.

I don't know what the Hell is going on with RC. Regardless, I'm taking PT 37 tomorrow, and then following Stanley Otto Swift's method of redoing it untimed right afterward. Wish me luck!

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Anaconda wrote:Wednesday, August 18th

Did the first 3 RC passages today from PT 19:

It was pretty much a disaster:

Passage 1: 6/8 in 10 minutes
Passage 2: 1/6 in 10 minutes (FML)
Passage 3: 6/6 in 12 minutes (12 minutes is wayyy too long)

I really fucked up the second passage (on burial laws of Native Americans). I can't comprehend how I can go 1/6 on a question set.

I also did 2 LGs:

PT 7 Game 1 - Grouping game, got 6/6 in 6 min 30 sec. NICE. This one was tough too.
PT 3 Game 3 - basic linear game, got 6/7 in 6 min 30 sec. Stupid mistake was on a "max spaces between" question, silly me didn't bother to start from the highest number and move down.

I don't know what the Hell is going on with RC. Regardless, I'm taking PT 37 tomorrow, and then following Stanley Otto Swift's method of redoing it untimed right afterward. Wish me luck!

Good luck :)

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 pm

I completely know how you feel on those RC sections. I took PT 55 for my testmasters about 3 weeks ago and on the 1st section I was 5/7 I think, then 5/6, then 1/6!!!! This 1/6 came on the horrible "talk story" passage". Then I ultimately had to guess on the last passage because I ran out of time due to the third passage. Talk about tragedy...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”