December LSAT Study Diary (formerly October)

Norlan

Re: December LSAT Study Diary (formerly October)

Postby Norlan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:37 pm

3 weeks of hiatus? personally, I don't think I can afford that...depends on what you're gonna be doing in the next 3 weeks I suppose...I think I would lose the touch of that if I take a break between now and the test day

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Norlan wrote:3 weeks of hiatus? personally, I don't think I can afford that...depends on what you're gonna be doing in the next 3 weeks I suppose...I think I would lose the touch of that if I take a break between now and the test day

I'm taking the December LSAT, so I'd still have like 10 weeks left to study - the only thing that would change is I won't be taking PT's - I'm still gonna be doing LG, RC, and LR questions during the week.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:21 pm

So I've done 26 'difficult' LR questions (from Cambridge LSAT) untimed over the past two days. I admittedly recognized a fair number of questions, but was lucky enough to at least forget the reasoning behind the right answer or be able to work through it correctly (probably did the questions I saw already 2-2.5 months ago and maybe 400-500 LR questions later).

I got 19/26 (doing them all in 4-5 question batches over the span of 2 days), which isn't bad and the funny thing is I went 1/6 on one page of LR questions, and made a silly mistake reading another answer choice, so other than that I did very well. Feel towards the end especially answers seemed to be popping up, although I was taking my sweet time.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 pm

I dedicated today to LSAT work.

Did 16 difficult LR questions (untimed) from PTs 3-5 and got 12/16 correct. Made a few silly mistakes on some of the questions I got wrong, but the good thing is I recognized the minor nuances in some of the question stem and answer choice wording. I fell for a lot of shell answer questions because of the change in a single word - have to be more careful. Also missed one formal logic questions because the wording in the stimulus described the same condition differently which threw me off (that's probably why it was categorized as a tough question).

Also, some of the questions literally took me over 5 to get, which isn't good but I was taking my sweet time to read and understand the stimulus.

Did the last 2 RC passages from PT 21. Did passage #3 in 8 minutes and got 4/5. The one I missed was a stupid mistake - I thought I read "agree" when the answer was "disagree" - no wonder I had trouble deciphering between the best out the 4 correct answer choices! I did passage #4 in a subpar 10 mins 30 seconds, but got 6/6 correct and did a darn good job catching subtle wording in the answer choices.
I did a good job reading for comprehension, I felt like I had a good grasp on tackling the questions, with no "WTF?" moments when approached with a slightly difficult question. I really need to concentrate on timing though - 10 min 30 sec for a 6 question passage (which wasn't very hard) isn't acceptable.

Norlan

Postby Norlan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:00 am

Anaconda wrote:
Norlan wrote:3 weeks of hiatus? personally, I don't think I can afford that...depends on what you're gonna be doing in the next 3 weeks I suppose...I think I would lose the touch of that if I take a break between now and the test day

I'm taking the December LSAT, so I'd still have like 10 weeks left to study - the only thing that would change is I won't be taking PT's - I'm still gonna be doing LG, RC, and LR questions during the week.

don't you think by taking PTs will give you more of an official test taking environment? or do you have trouble with specific sections that you have to invest more time in?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Today I did only 8 LR questions. Yeah, that doesn't seem like much, but I got 2 wrong and taking my sweet time to review them is really allowing me to catch the finer points and really start to solidify my knowledge of how stimuli and answer choices are constructed. Even though I got 2 wrong (one of which I shouldn't have), at least 40-50% of these 4 star questions actually seem pretty darn easy to me - I think focusing in depth on a few hard questions is WAY more beneficial than doing 50 LR questions (i.e. taking a PT) at a time and reviewing them. It gives me way more leverage to be patient and take the time to understand the questions I get wrong.

I think I'm going to keep on doing 8-16 LR questions a day for at least until mid October.

I'm going to take my next PT on October 1st - no need to waste PTs this far from the December LSAT, and at least it's giving me a solid vacation from the horrors of PTs. I have a feeling that this very relaxed yet possibly very efficient way of handling LR is going to result in very strong untimed LR scores when I redo the PTs that will eventually translate on the timed PTs.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Does anyone think doing only 6-12 "difficult" LR questions per day is enough for me at this point? School work is now bogging me down, so studying for more than an hour a day at this point is almost impossible.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:51 am

I'm still alive!

LSAT studying has been...well...meager.

I have done over 100 of the 'difficult' (4 star) LR problems in the past 2 weeks though, so that's not TOO bad. I've been studying for tests, but after this week, I can devote a solid 2 weeks to pretty much all LSAT. I feel so bad not studying right now. I'm only doing an average of like 8 LR questions a day and reviewing them...

I'm going to try to do 10-12 LR questions and 1-2 LGs a day this week, and then increase intensity next week, and start doing PTs starting next Friday.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:03 pm

I tried doing Superprep B today.

I only got throughout the first two sections. I got a -8 on the first LR section, and TOTALLY bombed the LG section - I didn't even grade it, probably got a -15 or -16. Decided to stop since I knew the LG destroyed me.

Very disappointed about the -8 LR. I think timing really messed me up. I made twice as many mistakes as I should have, and I think timing had a lot to do with.

I redid the LGs and of course I got a -0 on the retry. Sure the games were tough but I froze during the PT.

Sigh...so much more work to do to be ready for December. Timing is still my biggest issue.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”