LSAT Proctor App for iPhones and iPod Touches

hotdog123

Re: LSAT Proctor App for iPhones and iPod Touches

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:20 pm

OK tried the app again and it worked.

I did kinda LOL at the fact that the moment the proctor got done giving the instructions a lawnmower cranked up in the background.

Talk about shit luck for a test taker :lol:

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:31 pm

PadawanLaw wrote:Edit: I almost included an "extreme" mode that was going to have cannons and bombs dropping with gunfire in the background. You know... for our brothers and sisters who are taking the LSAT in war-torn countries; I decided to save that for an anniversary update or something, ha.

Amazing idea, haha. It could help those in North America, too, though.

Some test-takers (perhaps a disproportionate number of TLSers?) are just THAT committed, they'll disregard the start of WW3 to finish the LSAT.

DonnyMost wrote:I did kinda LOL at the fact that the moment the proctor got done giving the instructions a lawnmower cranked up in the background.

Talk about shit luck for a test taker :lol:

Happens more often than it should....

How about a winter edition with creaky heating pipes?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Yeah, the lawnmower is a bit over the top.

I'd say the noises that should be included more often should be people coughing/sneezing... maybe an electronic device going off (lol)... shuffling papers... knocking on desk sounds.

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 am

DonnyMost wrote:Yeah, the lawnmower is a bit over the top.

I'd say the noises that should be included more often should be people coughing/sneezing... maybe an electronic device going off (lol)... shuffling papers... knocking on desk sounds.

Coughing, Sneezing, Papers, Pencils and Desk noises are by far the most prevalent sound files in there. If you aren't hearing them often, then you aren't studying often enough :D

Also, that's not a lawnmower. It's the sound of a really annoying air conditioner, which you will run into and that's what it will sound like. There is no lawnmower sound effect in the entire set.

[Edit] At this point, not one sound effect in the entire set even begins to startle me. I can sleep through the entire five sections. I'm not sure that it is a good thing. The bird calls are the only things that come close to startling me. [/Edit]

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
PadawanLaw wrote:Edit: I almost included an "extreme" mode that was going to have cannons and bombs dropping with gunfire in the background. You know... for our brothers and sisters who are taking the LSAT in war-torn countries; I decided to save that for an anniversary update or something, ha.

Amazing idea, haha. It could help those in North America, too, though.

Some test-takers (perhaps a disproportionate number of TLSers?) are just THAT committed, they'll disregard the start of WW3 to finish the LSAT.

How about a winter edition with creaky heating pipes?

I have about 30GB worth of more sound effects to choose from. If there are ones that people seem to consistently want added, I'll add them in somewhere down the line. Maybe an August or September update.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:51 am

To clarify, when I said "Happens more often than it should...." I was referring to lawnmower noises on Test Day itself, not in the app/mp3. (Same is true of air conditioner noises, I suppose).

+1 on electronic device noises. This happens WAY more often that it should, and proctors are often the culprits.

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 am

That's good to know on the electronic devices... I wasn't sure whether to include them or not. I guess we'll have some cellphone vibrates, chirps, beeps, and rings in the next version along with some digital watch beeps/clicks. Maybe I'll thrown in some old school pager noises as well just in case.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:44 am

PadawanLaw wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:Yeah, the lawnmower is a bit over the top.

Coughing, Sneezing, Papers, Pencils and Desk noises are by far the most prevalent sound files in there. If you aren't hearing them often, then you aren't studying often enough :D

Also, that's not a lawnmower. It's the sound of a really annoying air conditioner, which you will run into and that's what it will sound like. There is no lawnmower sound effect in the entire set.

Your air conditioner is louder than my lawnmower then :lol:

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 am

It is indeed a loud air conditioner.

I have seen a little over 200 downloads in the past week or so, so at least someone out there is using this... whoever you may be, I hope it is helping!

lmi

Postby lmi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:11 am

wow, yeah, this would have been really great when studying. i found the 5 minute warning (announced via speaker to our huge room) the most distracting thing on test day, and really made me anxious at the end of each section. It would have been helpful to know exactly where I should have been around that point instead of just feeling way behind. Anyway, great idea, and thanks for sharing for all those yet to take!

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 am

It is silly how such a little thing can be so jarring but with the amount of stress inherent to this test, it makes sense. I have found that the app is helping me a lot with distractions and structuring my time better.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”