LSAT Proctor App for iPhones and iPod Touches Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PadawanLaw

New

LSAT Proctor App for iPhones and iPod Touches

Post by PadawanLaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 am

A month or so ago, I told a few people on here that I was working on an app for iPhones and iPod Touches that would work as a virtual proctor for LSAT prep testing purposes. Well, I have finally finished it. Introducing the LSAT Proctor App for iOS 4.0.

I know some of you have been using my LSAT Cacophony at PadawanLaw.com and there have been a few updates to the Cacophony in the process of translating it over to the iPhone.

The app features completely randomized noise files for distraction purposes, proctor vocal prompts and the ability to turn on/off the noise distractions.

The app is free and all I ask is that if you enjoy it, you spread the word. I'll be making updates in the future, so feel free to use this thread to post features you would like to see changed. There are a few quirks about the way that it operates that I might change with updates as well but as of now, it can take you through a complete Prep Test.

Direct Link to Download: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lsat-pro ... 71487?mt=8
Post on PadawanLaw about the App: http://padawanlaw.com/2010/06/lsat-proc ... pod-touch/

Canarsie

Bronze

Re: LSAT Proctor App for iPhones and iPod Touches

Post by Canarsie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 am

aw it's too bad i can't use this-- my ipod touch does not have a functioning speaker and i'm not going to use earbuds when i study. very cool idea though-- i'm sure it helps out a lot of people. if i could i would definitely try this out.

budafied

New

Post by budafied » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for this! I'll download it when I get home to see how it is.

Also, thumbs up for it being free.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 am

You rock. I'm especially impressed that you got this done so quickly.

I will do a post on this a bit closer to the October LSAT.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Just downloaded this, going to try using it with my new LSAT watch.

Although I have my doubts about testing with earbuds/earplugs, as I may become too used to them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

New

Post by 1991 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Oh God! I was looking for something like this. I don't have an iTouch but both my brother and my sister have it and I would have made such good use of this. Wish I had this when I was studying! :S

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:04 pm

way to go, finally a decent app for the LSAT, all the others are pretty much crap. I'll tell my students about this.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:12 pm

1991 wrote:Wish I had this when I was studying!

380yarddrives

New

Post by 380yarddrives » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Great job, just wish there was one for Android OS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DGLitcH

New

Post by DGLitcH » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Great app!

I think it would be a good idea to display a countdown timer, this way you know how much time you have left when you doing the test.

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:24 am

Just downloaded this, going to try using it with my new LSAT watch.

Although I have my doubts about testing with earbuds/earplugs, as I may become too used to them.
If you mean accustomed to the noises, I wouldn't worry about that. The biggest boon to this app is that all the sounds are randomized -- it was a giant pain in my side to accomplish correctly. If you mean accustomed to having earbuds in... that could become a problem. I personally like to just set the phone down and let the app run with it playing through the speakers. Seems to work best for me.

I actually put my phone in Airplane mode while it is playing to make sure that I don't get any calls that will interrupt.
way to go, finally a decent app for the LSAT, all the others are pretty much crap. I'll tell my students about this.
Thanks! I appreciate it. Please do spread the word.
Great job, just wish there was one for Android OS.
If I can get my hands on an Android based phone for testing and find the time, I have considered porting it over to Android OS. I will admit that it most likely will not be anytime soon that you'll see any apps from me in the Droid store. I know there is a guy on here that makes Android applications, maybe he could make one?
Great app!

I think it would be a good idea to display a countdown timer, this way you know how much time you have left when you doing the test.
I considered a countdown timer and I'm not opposed to it, but I wanted to limit the amount of things that I added that you would not have come test day. The last thing I want is for someone to become accustomed to a giant digital countdown telling them how much time they have left and then freak out on the real test when there is no countdown.

I might update later with an analog clock built-in, but I'm not sure I would add much more in terms of a timer.
You rock. I'm especially impressed that you got this done so quickly.

I will do a post on this a bit closer to the October LSAT.
Thanks, Steve! I actually get a ton of traffic to my blog directed from your site on a daily basis; I appreciate the support.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Congratulations man, the first release of LSAT cacophony was instrumental for me in my studying (from this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=94717) and it made test day distractions seem like a joke.

TLS is much benefited by your hard work. Speaking of which, did you write in June, and how do you think you did?

Again, many thanks. +1E1000000

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:39 pm

I am very glad to hear it helped; that's awesome that it went well.

School and work picked up for me, so I decided to take the October exam -- bummed to have put it off, but I didn't like the amount of studying that I was getting done and decided to wait.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:35 pm

I downloaded this app but it's only for the new OS and I have the first generation iPod Touch... oh well. I have your recording on my iTunes though and plan on using that. Thank you for making both of these resources available.

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 am

Yeah that's why i put iOS4 in the first post -- it is indeed only available for the newest OS. The new operating system allows you to do far more as a developer; I think you'll find the majority of new apps require the OS, unfortunately. It's too bad they didn't make it available for some of the older generations. The amount of available processing power and RAM are the only things stopping them from allowing it. I guess if someone wanted to gamble, they should be allowed to do so, but Apple thinks they know best... always.

Glad you at least have the MP3s.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 am

I just tried to use this on a practice test, i got an error message saying that the audio files didn't exist.

Redownloading, trying again....

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm

DonnyMost wrote:I just tried to use this on a practice test, i got an error message saying that the audio files didn't exist.

If you are indeed getting the error, I would be very interested to know more about your profile (i.e. what version of the OS you are running, iPhone or iPod generation, size) etc.

If it fails on you again, mind PMing me to let me know?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:24 pm

PadawanLaw wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:I just tried to use this on a practice test, i got an error message saying that the audio files didn't exist.

If you are indeed getting the error, I would be very interested to know more about your profile (i.e. what version of the OS you are running, iPhone or iPod generation, size) etc.

If it fails on you again, mind PMing me to let me know?
iOS4, 3G.

I'm guessing since it is such a large app that my network connection might have crapped out on me during the d/l.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:34 pm

I think this is great but a word of caution...when I took the LSAT back in the day I found it useful to practice with the same device as I would use on test day (an analog watch) and I'm sure you all know this but in between the time I took the LSAT in 06 and started proctoring in 09, they have gotten a lot more strict about what you can/can't have in the LSAT room and forced the proctors to be pretty hardcore in some places (like I was told--edit: and I by told I don't mean just the party line, this is the policy, but that people were checking in with me after the first couple of sections to specifically ask me about it as a proctor which was def more strict than when I took it--if I saw someone with an electronic device I had to cancel their score no questions asked)

People still tried to bring them in to the testing center...so if you want to try to recreate testing conditions when you practice (like maybe when taking a full testy) I'd go with something you will actually be using and not bank on having your phone/ipod...
Last edited by animalcrkrs on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 pm

i don't think anyone's using it as a timer, it doesn't even have a visible countdown, the recording just says "stop" or whatever after 35 minutes. I think the idea is turn it on, use whatever time you want to keep track of your progress. It's just to get used to the 5 minute warning and random noises.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:40 pm

suspicious android wrote:i don't think anyone's using it as a timer, it doesn't even have a visible countdown, the recording just says "stop" or whatever after 35 minutes. I think the idea is turn it on, use whatever time you want to keep track of your progress. It's just to get used to the 5 minute warning and random noises.
got it, okay, makes more sense now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:40 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:I think this is great but a word of caution...when I took the LSAT back in the day I found it useful to practice with the same device as I would use on test day (an analog watch)
Agreed, I'd recommend using PadawanLaw's stuff in addition to an analog watch, not as a substitute.

People are probably more likely to play the mp3 out of speakers, which is a bit closer to Test Day conditions, but the app is a great substitute for those on the go.

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm

This app isn't necessarily to be used as a timer. It's a proctor simulator -- audio proctor prompts and noise distractions. The app writer also has an mp3 file. It's especially useful when used along with an analog watch.

For those without an iphone, here's a link to the free download of the mp3 file:
http://padawanlaw.com/2010/04/lsat-proc ... ft-to-you/

This is one of the best *free* lsat prep tools out there ever. Huge props to the app writer for sharing!!

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Everyone has already said it, but these are the same reasons I didn't put a timer on it. I thought about building one in, but I decided not to even give people the option. I almost didn't even give anyone the option to pause, but I decided that people use their iPhones for enough things that I wasn't going to penalize anyone for taking an emergency call by making them start all over again.

Use an analog watch, please. Do not rely on your iPhone/iPod and/or my app for any timing purposes.

You can't even skip sections -- could I have made it possible? Yes. Will I put in the option? Probably not. Also, the app has the ability to post to Twitter and Facebook that you have completed a test prep (bragging rights). You have to make it all the way through an entire test first, though, ha.

Like everyone has said before... there a lot of different ways to use it: it's available on my site, there is an mp3 for download and now there is an app. I am running out of ways to make it more portable.

Edit: I almost included an "extreme" mode that was going to have cannons and bombs dropping with gunfire in the background. You know... for our brothers and sisters who are taking the LSAT in war-torn countries; I decided to save that for an anniversary update or something, ha.

PadawanLaw

New

Post by PadawanLaw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Oh and if you like the app... please rate it -- there are some horrible LSAT apps in the App Store and I'd rather not get lost in that pile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”