Misconduct Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Marino13

New

Misconduct

Post by Marino13 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:17 am

I accidentally bubbled in after time was called on one section of the June LSAT. I recently received a notice of a misconduct in my e-mail. Has anyone else gotten the same thing?

miamiman

Silver

Re: Misconduct

Post by miamiman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 am

Marino13 wrote:I accidentally bubbled in after time was called on one section of the June LSAT. I recently received a notice of a misconduct in my e-mail. Has anyone else gotten the same thing?
Other people have received misconducts for bubbling after time. You aren't alone.

My advice is to take ownership -- and quickly -- for it even if it was (somehow?) accidental. The reason? Because as much as admissions committees may loathe cheaters/plagiarists, they have absolutely no pity for excuses from them. You're going to need to explain the event in a succinct and mature way, and, even still, you may have to sit out a cycle. Timing on these matters can be crucial.

I'm sorry if I'm the first person to inform you of this; it's rough. Best of luck to you.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Marino13 wrote:I accidentally bubbled in after time was called on one section of the June LSAT. I recently received a notice of a misconduct in my e-mail. Has anyone else gotten the same thing?
How do you do this accidentially?

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:20 am

I know someone that claims to have accidentally bubbled a few questions into section 2 while working on section 3. The answers being placed in 2 were his answers from 3. He said he could it after one bubble, but was worried about getting kicked out.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:41 am

pu_golf88 wrote:I know someone that claims to have accidentally bubbled a few questions into section 2 while working on section 3. The answers being placed in 2 were his answers from 3. He said he could it after one bubble, but was worried about getting kicked out.
I can see that happening, but I can't see somebody accidentially bubbling in immediately after time is called.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:32 am

Just to repeat one of the guys above me, this is for-serious business. You're chances at getting accepted into a good law school this year have been significantly decreased. You might have a shot in the future (heck, maybe even this year), but realistically law school admission committees have way too many qualified applicants to have to resort to picking applicants who were caught cheating. And yes, cheating is what you were doing, regardless of what you claim your intent to be.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 am

search came up with this thread. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=98409 might help you a little.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:46 am

3|ink wrote:
How do you do this accidentially?

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:02 pm

It's kind of unusual that they decided to wait and contact you by email. Did they even say anything to you at your test center?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:05 pm

honestabe84 wrote:It's kind of unusual that they decided to wait and contact you by email. Did they even say anything to you at your test center?
They don't have to tell you at the test center. Plenty of people find out via email.

matt6850

New

Post by matt6850 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:18 pm

I think you will be fine.
Last edited by matt6850 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:24 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:I know someone that claims to have accidentally bubbled a few questions into section 2 while working on section 3. The answers being placed in 2 were his answers from 3. He said he could it after one bubble, but was worried about getting kicked out.
This is exactly why you can cancel your score.

New

Post by 1991 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:26 pm

mst wrote:Just to repeat one of the guys above me, this is for-serious business. You're chances at getting accepted into a good law school this year have been significantly decreased. You might have a shot in the future (heck, maybe even this year), but realistically law school admission committees have way too many qualified applicants to have to resort to picking applicants who were caught cheating. And yes, cheating is what you were doing, regardless of what you claim your intent to be.
This is how I think about it too. Between a 171 that got a misconduct notice and a 170 that didn't get one, I think they'd prefer the latter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BumpRnB

New

Post by BumpRnB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 pm

How do you get a misconduct penalty? Is it only for filling in after time or if you go back to finish answers for section 1 while in section 2?

And your proctor didn't tell you on the test day that he or she saw you putting in answers after the time? Like you did not know of this until now?

Harsh rule, but I guess it does the job of making sure people stay within the time rules.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:14 am

BumpRnB wrote:
How do you get a misconduct penalty? Is it only for filling in after time or if you go back to finish answers for section 1 while in section 2?

And your proctor didn't tell you on the test day that he or she saw you putting in answers after the time? Like you did not know of this until now?

Harsh rule, but I guess it does the job of making sure people stay within the time rules.
You can get a misconduct for anything that is against the rules. A while back, someone on TLS got one for drinking water during a section.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:33 am

So you still get a score, but basically get a big asterisk by your score in the form of a misconduct? I find it surprising they don't let you know when the incident occurs.
miamiman wrote: My advice is to take ownership -- and quickly -- for it even if it was (somehow?) accidental. The reason? Because as much as admissions committees may loathe cheaters/plagiarists, they have absolutely no pity for excuses from them. You're going to need to explain the event in a succinct and mature way, and, even still, you may have to sit out a cycle. Timing on these matters can be crucial.
I don't quite understand this post. Who is he supposed to explain this to? I assume he hasn't applied to any schools yet.

Sparkz1920

New

Post by Sparkz1920 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:32 am

So if im coughing, i guess i should keep on coughing because i cant take a sip of my water for fear that ill get a misconduct letter :roll:

How do you let someone get that close to you to notice whether you are bubbling in another section anyway

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dubsky

New

Post by dubsky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:36 am

The individual written up for a misconduct usually gets a copy of the misconduct report that the proctor files with LSAC. They tell you to hang around and give it to you at the end of the test. I believe that the incidence of "surprise" misconduct proceedings after the test have concluded is extremely low and entirely due to irresponsible proctors.

Ips52

New

Post by Ips52 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:42 am

How soon after the test did you receive this email?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:44 am

Ips52 wrote:
How soon after the test did you receive this email?
6 years.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:16 pm

This thread is making me paranoid as hell haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”