New LSAT Diagnostic Software

Evan LSAT

New LSAT Diagnostic Software

Postby Evan LSAT » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey everyone, I’m a Columbia Law School graduate who’s working with a couple of programmers from U Penn to create novel LSAT-specific software and diagnostics. The software currently allows you to take one of the latest LSATs online, and gives you detailed diagnostic information such as whether your time allocation is optimal, the question types you need the most help on, and other useful stats.

I want to extend an open invitation to anyone who wants to beta-test this diagnostic software. This is completely free, and if anyone who’s beta testing needs any help understanding the test I’d be glad to chat with them for a few minutes. I have been an LSAT tutor for over 5 years in NYC and I wanted to create something that would be helpful to students of this test.

We’ll be coming out with other cool features in the future that would be completely free for our beta testers. We’re really interested in your feedback too. If you’re interested and want to try it out, send me a PM and I’ll set you up with a link to the site.

Thank you,
Evan

WestOfTheRest

Re: New LSAT Diagnostic Software

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:56 pm

How is this software going to be helpful to test takers? Since the test is not a computer test, and quite frankly would be much more difficult on the computer, how is it going to help people?

mst

Postby mst » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:45 am

I have the same concern as the above poster. Second, is there a business plan behind this to get the rights to the tests from LSAC? Because if you plan to just offer June 07, a lot of people would have probably taken it prior to coming to your software... just some concerns, I'm interested to see how you address them.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:48 am

CastleRock wrote:How is this software going to be helpful to test takers? Since the test is not a computer test, and quite frankly would be much more difficult on the computer, how is it going to help people?

This is the fundamental reason why nobody has created viable LSAT software to date.

Evan LSAT

Postby Evan LSAT » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:39 am

@mst: Yes, we have acquired the rights to distribute every LSAT released through LSAC. We will only be using official tests in the software.

@3|ink and Castlerock: You both raise valid concerns.

Even though we tried to make it as realistic as possible, I realize that there's somewhat of a difference taking the LSAT online and on paper; for some reason it seems much more difficult when you can't draw on the page! That said, there are some advantages to having the tests distributed online:
- You can buy the tests instantly, instead of waiting for delivery of printed publications.
- If you like, you can print out the tests and upload the answers to get the diagnostic reports.
- You can view your performance compared to an average of users. We'll be able to tell you accurately what the difficulty of a question is, how long it takes others on average to solve it, and how you stack up.
- You can get all sorts of interesting data on how you answer questions and why you likely get them incorrect.
- We have a whole set of features planned to help you target the areas you want to work on after the diagnostic.

Plus, even if its more difficult online it should still give you a good read on where you have the most trouble, since in theory most of the questions should be equally more difficult (except perhaps questions where you must diagram a lot). Personally, as a tutor, I don't think a program could ever fully-replace the value provided by an in-person instructor or class. On my website I'd like to provide free listings of great independent tutors in your area so you can link up to additional help as you need it. However, I think this tool can help a lot of people increase their performance on the test as well, and could even be used in conjunction with a personal tutor to help focus your study.

If you'd like to share any thoughts or ideas you have about what would be useful for you in prepping for the test, I'd be happy to listen.

-Evan

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:40 am

If I don't get off these waitlists in the near future I will try the beta out for the October test.

...I took Testmasters and the June '09 test so I could help you compare the two (from my perspective)

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Just a thought. The only way I would consider taking a test online is if there was a way I could physically cross off/ knock out answers. This might be an easily addable feature, if you're not already going down that route.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I'll beta test...why not right?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:50 pm

I'll be happy to beta test.

polyester

Postby polyester » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I will also beta test. Another preptest is another preptest whether it's on paper or on the computer.

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Count me in.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:30 pm

I think it would be most beneficial for arguments because you don't need to diagram and underline as much as you do with RC and Games. You should make some highlighting tools for RC. I would also like to Beta though!

ecrew

Postby ecrew » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 pm

hey, I'll try anything once, I think?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:32 am

I'll beta test.

Wustlmike19

Postby Wustlmike19 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:22 pm

I'll beta test

Evan LSAT

Postby Evan LSAT » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Just a thought. The only way I would consider taking a test online is if there was a way I could physically cross off/ knock out answers. This might be an easily addable feature, if you're not already going down that route.

We have added the ability to cross off wrong answers. Even better, we record the order in which you cross off wrong answers. This allows us to compare your responses to other users of our software, and to analyze your level of understanding in more fine detail.
Last edited by Evan LSAT on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stalls

Postby stalls » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 pm

i'll beta test.

please get in touch with details

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”