Law School at 42 - is it Practical?

IT_GUY

Law School at 42 - is it Practical?

Postby IT_GUY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:57 pm

I am an IT consultant with IT technical and management background. I have a master’s degree in Biotechnology from Tennessee. I am good at what I do. I am 41 years old now. Being an immigrant worker, I have had my shares of sitting at home without pay. Even though I can earn well, the money has not stayed because there are always some phases where I have to wait for the next contract and during this waiting period there is no salary. A lot of my savings were gone in 2009 because of being without pay waiting for the next contract. Just to give an idea, I qualify for 90 K – 115 K jobs in Wisconsin area. Of Course, the companies that made such offers were not doing so well and they have had a lot of downsizing. I had interviewed for them in 2009.

No matter how good you are, for the best jobs that are available, only green card or US citizenship holders qualify. After going through all these hardships for procuring a green card, which is going on well now, I have this developed a strong urge to be an immigration attorney. I am driven by my personal experience to help other very qualified immigrants as an immigration attorney. But, I have to face reality as well. Realistically, if I start preparing for LSAT now, I will very likely be in law school on a part time basis at 42 and graduate when I am 45 years.

What are the prospects for lawyers starting their law career at 45?

To be practical, I need to know what kind of salaries I can expect. Is it good idea to practice law in 2 or more areas like immigration, corporate and real estate law? I just need to make money while I am helping as an immigration attorney.

What are the pros and cons of starting a law career at 45?

What are some of the good practice areas for someone in my situation?

Do my masters in Biotechnology and my 14 years IT experience help in any way in my law career?

Ahh! Too many questions :). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated?

Thanks...

dbt

Re: Law School at 42 - is it Practical?

Postby dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:07 pm

I think the oldest student at NYU was mid 40s. So you're not too old.

I bet it'd be tough to crack biglaw though (they're looking for slaves without families), but government/academia sounds realistic.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Dude in his mid-40s at Cornell has a Biglaw gig this summer.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:48 pm

The question isn't so much your age as it is your immigration status. You won't qualify for loans and you'll be right back at square one after you graduate with your visa status. At the moment, there isn't actually a huge need for attorneys.

Is it possible a US degree would be portable back in your home country to help with US immigration??

IT_GUY

Postby IT_GUY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm

dbt wrote:I think the oldest student at NYU was mid 40s. So you're not too old.

I bet it'd be tough to crack biglaw though (they're looking for slaves without families), but government/academia sounds realistic.

Appreciate the encouragement and also the honesty about biglaw - makes sense to me...

Thanks

IT_GUY

Postby IT_GUY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:54 pm

KMaine wrote:Dude in his mid-40s at Cornell has a Biglaw gig this summer.

Thanks. very encouraging...

Would you know what areas of practice is he planning to pursue?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 pm

From the little I know about him, good chance it has something to do with IP.

IT_GUY

Postby IT_GUY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:01 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:The question isn't so much your age as it is your immigration status. You won't qualify for loans and you'll be right back at square one after you graduate with your visa status. At the moment, there isn't actually a huge need for attorneys.

Is it possible a US degree would be portable back in your home country to help with US immigration??

I can arrange for funds for college. By the time I graduate, I should have my green card. Helping in home country (India) will require law degree from there itself. I am looking to pursue something in US.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”