Weekend LSAT Course???

Sparkz1920

Weekend LSAT Course???

Postby Sparkz1920 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 am

I was thinking about taking a weekend LSAT Course since i work evenings from 12-9 pm. Anybody have any feedback?

Also doing some studying on my own

MURPH

Re: Weekend LSAT Course???

Postby MURPH » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:04 am

Crash courses are no good. If you can find one that teaches weekends over a period of 2 months that might be helpful. Pithypike's method on the sticky thread above is very good.

shortway

Postby shortway » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:41 am

I know Kaplan has courses on the weekends. The course I took was almost every weekend over 3.5 months, 9:30- 1:30. Good luck finding a course that works with your schedule!

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 am

If you mean a weekend crash course - I agree with Murph - those are not as useful (most are too superficial).

If all you need is a class that meets on weekends, there are plenty out there.

Sparkz1920

Postby Sparkz1920 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks you all

I was thinking the same thing as well. I am only off on Fridays and Sundays. Kaplan does have a Sunday class over the course of three months, so i think i might opt for that. I took the LSAT in 2007 and did not score well at all.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Kaplan sucks, self study instead. If you can meet with a few people from a prelaw club that will form a study group that will be beneficial.
Try this: 4 people get together and buy all the PTs, split the cost and make copies. Each of you buy your own Bibles.
Each week you get together to review assignements. You will all have done the assignments beforehand. Getting together is just to help each other with stuff that you already struggled through alone.
Each student is responsible for teaching one lesson per week. One takes LG, one RC, two take different AR types. You each prepare a 30 minute lesson on how to do one type or one game or one reading passage. The "teacher" should be prepared to answer questions and explain in excruciating detail.
Try to pick good students if you can. Smart kids will be more helpful than dummies. Lazy ones are the worst - smart or not. You might want to start with a few more than 4 students and give the boot to anyone who shows up poorly prepared more than once.
You learn the material best by teaching it and by struggling through it on your own. You also have people depending on you each week. That too can motivate you to keep up with the work.
This is probably cheaper than a course. It will be better than Kraplan and you can meet other applicants and make friends and go out for beer afterwards.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:08 pm

TestMasters (not sure which one as there are two organizations using this name) & PowerScore offer 16 hour weekend LSAT prep seminars. I have been told that the material is covered in less depth that the full length courses & that homework is assigned that will take you up to the LSAT test date. Whether or not this is a good review option probably depends upon one's circumstances such as availability & type of preparation already undertaken.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 pm

MURPH wrote:Kaplan sucks, self study instead. If you can meet with a few people from a prelaw club that will form a study group that will be beneficial.
Try this: 4 people get together and buy all the PTs, split the cost and make copies. Each of you buy your own Bibles.
Each week you get together to review assignements. You will all have done the assignments beforehand. Getting together is just to help each other with stuff that you already struggled through alone.
Each student is responsible for teaching one lesson per week. One takes LG, one RC, two take different AR types. You each prepare a 30 minute lesson on how to do one type or one game or one reading passage. The "teacher" should be prepared to answer questions and explain in excruciating detail.
Try to pick good students if you can. Smart kids will be more helpful than dummies. Lazy ones are the worst - smart or not. You might want to start with a few more than 4 students and give the boot to anyone who shows up poorly prepared more than once.
You learn the material best by teaching it and by struggling through it on your own. You also have people depending on you each week. That too can motivate you to keep up with the work.
This is probably cheaper than a course. It will be better than Kraplan and you can meet other applicants and make friends and go out for beer afterwards.

This is brilliant. Though finding smart and unlazy/motivated kids at my undergrad will be a challenge.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Stratus Prep has classes in NYC and I did a weekend course that was extremely valuable and really helped me. If you want more details just PM.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:14 pm

A one-time weekend seminar by any company is likely to be simply a general overview.

TestMasters.net is the one that offers the one-time weekend seminar option and has methods similar to PowerScore's (the founders of each company used to work together).

The fact that Kaplan offers a course that meets only on the weekends should not be considered sufficient reason to take it.

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:16 pm

I took the Princeton Review weekend course, 10-2 on Sat and 10-6 on Sun for 10 weeks, and it was invaluable. But everyone else on TLS seems to be anti-PR, so I could just be crazy.

nextstep

Postby nextstep » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:28 pm

The trouble with a weekend crash-course is that it's just going to give you basic methodologies you could get out of a book. There's definitely not going to be time to get into advanced logic or section strategy, and you for sure aren't going to have the time to ask questions. I see a weekend class as akin to buying some decent prep books and going through them, but the class will be 10x the price.

John
Next Step Test Preparation

Sparkz1920

Postby Sparkz1920 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Why does Kaplan suck??? I've read mixed reviews and would like to know

the weekend course is from this Sunday until the week before. I also plan on buying powerscore bibles and LSAT questions to more on my own as well

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:14 pm

I know of two students who praise their Princeton Review course instructor & both did well on the LSAT (well enough for multiple T-7-14 offers). My best guess is that the instructor greatly influences the value of the PR LSAT review course.

cihelsley

Postby cihelsley » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm

I disagree with a lot of the posters here. I took a Powerscore weekend class and saw significant improvement on my PTs. I will say this, though. It was more helpful to me because I had done months of studying on my own. I did a weekend course more as a way to confirm the methods I was using to attack the problems(most specifically logic games) and not as a "crash course." If you do go the weekend route, I would highly suggest spending a good amount of time prepping on your own beforehand. I have a full time job 9-5 right now so most of my weekend time was utilized for prep and PTs for several months beforehand. The weekend course worked well for me because I was already so familiar with what the instructor was doing and just needed some extra reinforcement and understanding There were several people in both courses I took who were so overwhelmed because of not ever looking at a PT beforehand that they didn't even come back for the second day.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:38 pm

cihelsley wrote:I disagree with a lot of the posters here. I took a Powerscore weekend class and saw significant improvement on my PTs. I will say this, though. It was more helpful to me because I had done months of studying on my own. I did a weekend course more as a way to confirm the methods I was using to attack the problems(most specifically logic games) and not as a "crash course." If you do go the weekend route, I would highly suggest spending a good amount of time prepping on your own beforehand. I have a full time job 9-5 right now so most of my weekend time was utilized for prep and PTs for several months beforehand. The weekend course worked well for me because I was already so familiar with what the instructor was doing and just needed some extra reinforcement and understanding There were several people in both courses I took who were so overwhelmed because of not ever looking at a PT beforehand that they didn't even come back for the second day.

This.

I took a powerscore weekend class and it helped to reinforce the methods I learned in the Bibles. I would not recommend using it as your only source of preparation.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I know of two students who praise their Princeton Review course instructor & both did well on the LSAT (well enough for multiple T-7-14 offers). My best guess is that the instructor greatly influences the value of the PR any LSAT review course.

This.

We (Princeton Review) do both full Hyperlearning courses that only run on weekends (usually 12 weekends) and Weekender courses that are only one weekend. The 16-hour Weekender is painful to teach and painful to sit through (it's a lot of information all at once) but can be helpful as a launching off point leading into self-study, because you get to see most of the relevant strategies (once) and get a full set of all released tests to practice on when you do more yourself. The 84-hour Hyperlearning course (in its weekends-only variation or not) is much to be preferred if it is feasible to take. I imagine the same is true for the equivalent courses for other companies as well.

A previous poster suggested doing a one-weekend course after self-study, and that's another possible route.

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I found the Princeton Review HyperLearning weekend course to be very helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”