PT 11 Section 1 # 11

jwalsh16

PT 11 Section 1 # 11

Postby jwalsh16 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 pm

I do not know how to get the correct answer for this one..which is frustrating since I would have gotten a perfect section otherwise...please explain why the answer is D

Thanks

jeremydc

Re: PT 11 Section 1 # 11

Postby jeremydc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 pm

LMK if this helps

11. (D)
If G doesn’t work during the week, then H can’t work, says Rule 5. That leaves F, I, and J to
fill in the schedule. Since there are a number of ways to schedule these three firefighters,
there’s not much more work we can do before seeing what the choices have to offer.

(A) Must F work exactly one day during the week? No, F can work twice — F I F J I.

(B) F can also work only once, killing this choice: I F J I J. Incidentally, this acceptable
schedule allows us to cross off (E) as well.

(C) From both of the preceding examples, we see that this choice need not be true — Iman
certainly can work twice during the week.

(D) And that leaves (D): No matter how you try, there’s no way to disprove the validity of
this choice. Trying to place I only once in the schedule invariably leads to violating either
Rule 3 or Rule 4. Since we can’t come up with a contrary example (not to mention the fact
that we’ve crossed off everything else), choice (D) must be right.

When you have very little to go on in a question, quickly scan the answer choices to see
what the question is getting at. Here, the answer choices tell you that we’re dealing with
a numbers issue, not necessarily a placement issue. Knowing this should align your
thinking and therefore help you proceed toward the answer.

• When you’re faced with a “must be true” question and have little concrete information
to back you up, one viable method is to eliminate choices by producing examples that
contradict them. For example, for choice (A), we tried to create a schedule where
Fuentes doesn’t work exactly one day during the week, and since we saw that he can
work two days, we knew that this choice need not be true. Kaplan calls this method of
eliminating choices “proving the exception.” When you come to a choice where no
exception is possible, you’ve found the correct answer. (Ideally, you hope to follow a
chain of deductions directly to the correct choice. However, when that’s simply not an
option, as in this case, the “proving the exception” method is your next best bet.)

jwalsh16

Re: PT 11 Section 1 # 11

Postby jwalsh16 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 pm

thanks....i got tripped up thinkin that with the 4th rule meant that it could go F J F J I

at which point I would only be once

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”