Testmasters + Bibles??

amc987

Testmasters + Bibles??

Postby amc987 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enroll in a Testmasters LSAT course starting next week to prep for the October LSAT. However, I've also heard really great things about the Bibles, specifically the Logic Games Bible. Has anyone used both to prepare before? Do they teach entirely different techniques such that I'd be confusing myself by using both sources? Testmasters seems like it has the most thorough program and I think I'd learn best in a classroom setting, but people on here can't stop raving about how helpful the Bibles are so...

Also, the Testmasters class I'm considering is the Early Summer one (it goes from next week until the end of August). I figure I could use the extra time for the material to click in/ study more on my own in the month before the test. My friend thought that it might be better to start the course later so that it finishes about the time of the LSAT. Thoughts? I feel like the extra time might be useful, but I could use some advice from you experienced LSAT takers.

Thanks in advance!

cinefile 17

Re: Testmasters + Bibles??

Postby cinefile 17 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I used the Testmasters course and the Powerscore Bibles. It worked great. Use them. Also DEFINITELY take the early Testmaters course for sure. Do all the homework for the course, then once the course is done use the remainder of the time until the exam doing all the practice tests they give you and as many other practice tests as you can. As you're doing the homework/practice exams, every time you get one wrong, write an explanation next to each answer choice explaining what makes it right/wrong. This will help you to learn what mistakes you are making and to more fully understand problems that you get wrong. Also, use the Testmasters free call in service for problems that you get wrong and get explanations (do this all the time, this is one thing I wish I would have utilized more when I took the course). Finally when you take the practice tests after the course, always simulate testing conditions to the best of your ability (take the test with noise, don't give yourself extra time, don't cheat, don't go to the bathroom or take breaks between the sections). Also use an analog watch to keep track of time when you study (set it for 11:25, so that you know you're done when it hits noon. Re-set it to 11:25 in between sections). Finally, if you can work down to only giving yourself 32 minutes per section (assuming you're doing well enough to get close to finishing on time) instead of 35, this would be extra beneficial when it comes test day.

I used this link during my practice exams to keep the official time. It provides background noise and a five minute warning. You'd be surprised how much even a five minute warning can throw you off/make you nervous on test day if you're not use to hearing it. Here's the link:

http://padawanlaw.com/wp-content/upload ... ophony.mp3

Good choice with Testmasters. I found it very helpful.
Last edited by cinefile 17 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 pm

amc987 wrote:Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enroll in a Testmasters LSAT course starting next week to prep for the October LSAT. However, I've also heard really great things about the Bibles, specifically the Logic Games Bible. Has anyone used both to prepare before? Do they teach entirely different techniques such that I'd be confusing myself by using both sources? Testmasters seems like it has the most thorough program and I think I'd learn best in a classroom setting, but people on here can't stop raving about how helpful the Bibles are so...

Also, the Testmasters class I'm considering is the Early Summer one (it goes from next week until the end of August). I figure I could use the extra time for the material to click in/ study more on my own in the month before the test. My friend thought that it might be better to start the course later so that it finishes about the time of the LSAT. Thoughts? I feel like the extra time might be useful, but I could use some advice from you experienced LSAT takers.

Thanks in advance!

I, too, would be interested in hearing about whether it would be best to finish the course right before LSAT or finish it ahead of time and do some self-prep.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 pm

DGLitcH wrote:I, too, would be interested in hearing about whether it would be best to finish the course right before LSAT or finish it ahead of time and do some self-prep.

Ahead of time FOR SURE. No doubt. See above.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Fuck Testmasters, that creepy fuck Singh, and his whore operations manager.

okthatisallthanksandbye

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:50 am

DGLitcH wrote:
amc987 wrote:Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

I, too, would be interested in hearing about whether it would be best to finish the course right before LSAT or finish it ahead of time and do some self-prep.

I suggest finishing the course earlier rather than later so you can do some self-prep and have more time to apply the techniques you learn in the course. The course can serve as your foundation, and you can use the time after the course ends to do all that supplemental work (and the homework you may not have time to complete during the course itself) and shore up any weak areas.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”