Only 2% get a 170+ on the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Diamond

Re: Only 2% get a 170+ on the LSAT

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:38 am

Tautology wrote:
That's not necessarily true though of URMs taking the LSAT. It may be, but that's not clear.
No that actually is clear. Pg 429 - --LinkRemoved--

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Tautology wrote:
That's not necessarily true though of URMs taking the LSAT. It may be, but that's not clear.
Sorry, I'm not seeing where it shows that URMs who take the LSAT are disproportionately economically disadvantaged.
acrossthelake wrote:Well, the research shows that most people don't really do much prep at all, so as it currently is, the advantage of time and resources for LSAT prep isn't really playing out for most of the LSAT-taking population.
Also an important point that an advantage can exist whether it is taken advantage of or not.

goawaybee

Bronze

Post by goawaybee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Tautology wrote:
thanks for this link...i am getting hoovered in via all the discussion and then got sucked into the notes on the bottom of 429. damn this at 3am.

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote: --LinkRemoved--
2 points for the most intense reference I've encountered on TLS thus far. Did you read that whole thing at some point?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: --LinkRemoved--
2 points for the most intense reference I've encountered on TLS thus far. Did you read that whole thing at some point?
No, it just came up in an affirmative action debate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:35 pm

I see. In that case I will refrain from questioning your sanity. Carry on, then. ::hand waving::

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tautology wrote:
you don't get it, DF. we have to protect the underprivileged from themselves. put away your "data" and "facts" and get on the excuse-making bandwagon.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tautology wrote:
you don't get it, DF. we have to protect the underprivileged from themselves. put away your "data" and "facts" and get on the excuse-making bandwagon.
Could you help me with how the reference is related to what I said though? I'm still not seeing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Tautology wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tautology wrote:
Could you help me with how the reference is related to what I said though? I'm still not seeing that.
They way I read your post was that you didn't think it's been show the LSAT predicts urm performance just as well as it does non-urm. Instead you meant you want it shown that urm students are in a lower economic status.

I'm not going to go find data to disprove your claims about the lsat. There is very simple data that could prove your argument. Go find it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Tautology wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tautology wrote:
that the LSAT is as good an indicator of LS performance for the wealthy and rich, which is its purpose, so there isn't a skewing bias in favor of the wealthy

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 pm

IAFG wrote: that the LSAT is as good an indicator of LS performance for the wealthy and rich, which is its purpose, so there isn't a skewing bias in favor of the wealthy
I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I didn't see it say that on the page or pages surrounding that I was directed to (and I haven't read the whole thing).

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Tautology wrote:
IAFG wrote: that the LSAT is as good an indicator of LS performance for the wealthy and rich, which is its purpose, so there isn't a skewing bias in favor of the wealthy
I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I didn't see it say that on the page or pages surrounding that I was directed to (and I haven't read the whole thing).
minorities are poor. minorities are forgiven their weak LSATs. they then go on to perform poorly in LS. that is what i took DF's point to be anyway. if i am wrong, he'll cobble together some barely intelligible correction.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
Tautology wrote:
minorities are poor. minorities are forgiven their weak LSATs. they then go on to perform poorly in LS. that is what i took DF's point to be anyway. if i am wrong, he'll cobble together some barely intelligible correction.
Right, but my point was that although minorities in general are poor, the subset of minorities who also take the LSAT will not necessarily look exactly like minorities as a whole. I didn't see that addressed.

BarnabeSpooge

New

Post by BarnabeSpooge » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I always took that paper to mean that Law School Performance > Quality of Law School, in terms of career arcs, and that people who leap to go into the "best school that takes them" (who are often URM) are doing themselves a disservice.

Correlating this with the LSAT as a predictor of Law School Performance, it would mean that it might be wiser for a (an?) URM to go to a lower-ranked school that matches their academic profile (and excel) as opposed to taking a diversity bump into a school where they are statistically likely to underperform.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:50 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:I always took that paper to mean that Law School Performance > Quality of Law School, in terms of career arcs, and that people who leap to go into the "best school that takes them" (who are often URM) are doing themselves a disservice.

Correlating this with the LSAT as a predictor of Law School Performance, it would mean that it might be wiser for a (an?) URM to go to a lower-ranked school that matches their academic profile (and excel) as opposed to taking a diversity bump into a school where they are statistically likely to underperform.
doesn't affirmative action in hiring correct that though?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:I always took that paper to mean that Law School Performance > Quality of Law School, in terms of career arcs, and that people who leap to go into the "best school that takes them" (who are often URM) are doing themselves a disservice.

This is exactly the kind of statement that troubles me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarnabeSpooge

New

Post by BarnabeSpooge » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm

IAFG wrote:

I have absolutely no idea, but it might.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:54 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:
IAFG wrote:

It does. A URM dead last at a t14 will get big law.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BarnabeSpooge wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Surely that's hyperbolic.

... even sounds a little jaded if you ask me.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by 094320 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Taut, the problem with your argument is that you're asking law school to perform a service that should be performed by UG --> Namely, to provide disadvantage students with greater educational opportunities. I think that law school should do this to a certain extent but in the end law school is a professional school. It should mostly be concerned with the applicants' ability in law school.

Also, I disagree that unlearnability would advantage the poor. IQ tests strongly correlate with wealth as well.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:58 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BarnabeSpooge wrote:
IAFG wrote: doesn't affirmative action in hiring correct that though?
Surely that's hyperbolic.

... even sounds a little jaded if you ask me.
It's not hyperbolic. And what do I care, I'm not getting hired for a diversity initiative, me and URMs aren't even competing for the same jobs.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey-O wrote:Taut, the problem with your argument is that you're asking law school to perform a service that should be performed by UG --> Namely, to provide disadvantage students with greater educational opportunities. I think that law school should do this to a certain extent but in the end law school is a professional school. It should mostly be concerned with the applicants' ability in law school.

Also, I disagree that unlearnability would advantage the poor. IQ tests strongly correlate with wealth as well.

Are you saying that "professional" schools have little responsibility for providing advantages to disadvantaged populations?

What makes UG so different from law school...?

BarnabeSpooge

New

Post by BarnabeSpooge » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote: It does. A URM dead last at a t14 will get big law.
Page 467 of the paper you cited seems to disagree, and it was written in a better market.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”