I'm taking prep classes, but I want to study more...

faexylona

I'm taking prep classes, but I want to study more...

Postby faexylona » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:43 pm

I am starting my powerscore prep classes tonight. The question I have is how can I further study/prepare for the LSAT apart from doing the homework assigned by the instructors. I intend to say goodbye to my summer and family. In addition, I have the informal logic book and intend to read it. Any suggestions will help. I am fully committed to the LSAT preparation since my future depends on it. I need to get a 180.

JWicker10

Re: I'm taking prep classes, but I want to study more...

Postby JWicker10 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Honestly, you're going to be shocked at how much homework and supplemental materials your class will give you--at least I was by TestMasters. I never studied anything outside the scope of my class, nor did my roommate, and we both went from mid 150s diags to mid 170s actual scores. I'd say beyond the class, the best thing to do is practice tests, as many as possible. My class provided 13 and about a million supplemental individual sections, which was plenty I thought.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Study smarter than harder.

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:30 pm

3|ink wrote:Study smarter than harder.

+1

mst

Postby mst » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 am

Two tips: Putting absolute pressure on yourself to get a 180 this early on is dumb. Not trying to be mean, but it's not conducive to a good mind set in approaching law school admissions, nor will it be helpful on test day. It's good to have goals, but be realistic, and allow for backup-cases in your mind. A lot of people on here might make you believe that anybody in the world can get a 180, but that's not true.

Second, be careful about giving up your life and family for LSAT studying. I'm talking from personal experience so this might be a bit biased, but a good LSAT study course demonstrates balance. You can't simply pound through questions and preptests, or you will be fatigued, won't notice your mistakes, and won't be in the right state for studying. I didn't stress the importance of the LSAT to my family and it frequently led to arguments over interrupted practice tests, me not spending enough time on other stuff, etc. Enjoy your summer and family. I believe ANY person can achieve their full LSAT potential with a good study plan of 10-15 hours a week tops for 4 months with 1 intensive month of practice tests prior to the exam.

Finally, to answer your questions, wait a bit on starting with practice tests and such that aren't assigned by class yet. You need to learn the methods and principles behind the test before you start wasting the limited amount of useful LSATs available on the market (and trust me, if you want a 180, you need to use all of them to their full potential).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:32 am

I don't think there is much difference between upper 170s and a 180. Why do you feel like you need a 180?

Also, studying smarter is TCR. You gotta put in the time, but quality definitely beats quantity.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”