How much can I reasonably expect to improve my lsat score?

bows_and_toes

How much can I reasonably expect to improve my lsat score?

Postby bows_and_toes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Did a few practice logic problems then decided to take an old practice test to see where I was. I got a little over 75% of the questions right, so thats around a 163. Im going to be a junior this year, and i want to take a few more practice tests and take a class for prep. Realistically, how much can I improve my score by? Id like to get in the high 160's, but I realize that im already pretty good at the logical reasoning and reading comprehension sections so I dont know how much I can really improve on those.

Thoughts?

Bildungsroman

Re: How much can I reasonably expect to improve my lsat score?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:16 pm

It's definitely possible to get from 163 to the high 160s, especially since it sounds like your weakest section is logic games and logic games is much easier to improve on than RC/LR.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Reasonably you can get to the mid 170s if you put enough time into it. However, enough time can be a lot of time for some people.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Depends on how much work you put into it and your willingness to completely revamp your style. I started at a 150 and got up to 167 by test day. (Down a few points from practice) The more work you put into it, the higher your score will be.

bows_and_toes

Postby bows_and_toes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:31 pm

CastleRock wrote:Reasonably you can get to the mid 170s if you put enough time into it. However, enough time can be a lot of time for some people.

How much preparation would this take?

Thanks for the fast replies by the way.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:36 pm

bows_and_toes wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Reasonably you can get to the mid 170s if you put enough time into it. However, enough time can be a lot of time for some people.

To get mid-170s from that diag, I'd say ideally you need to put in over at least 3 months of casual study. With maybe a few weeks or a month of daily study
Last edited by thecilent on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 pm

bows_and_toes wrote:

I can't tell you how much prep this would take, simply because it will be different for everyone. I went from a 163 diag, to practicing in the low to mid 170s in about three weeks of daily practice. But it's different for everyone.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:41 pm

bows_and_toes wrote:

I can't guarantee you how much time it will take, but I can tell you what I did. An hour every week day for four months and wake up every Saturday for the two months prior and take a full length, properly timed practice test. Rest on Sunday. Last week take a complete break.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I went from a 157 diagnostic to a 167 using Princeton Review's LSAT prep book and old practice tests. My gains, like yours, were made in the games section, which I started out REALLY bad on (like 50% right). I studied for 1.5 months prior to the test... I'd recommend more for a 170+ obviously. In a way, I lucked out by taking the LSAT in a month where LG's were really easy, but Reading Comp (my best section) was hard. Don't rely on luck, make sure you're the best you can be at the very hardest of logic games.

People on here will tell you to get power score, I wouldn't know, I never used it... but the word is it gets you that 170+ score if you put the work in. 3-6 months seems like the average amount of prep time for those that did.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:02 pm

Here's a reasonable time estimate to improve 10 points over 4 months:

8-10 hours a week for 3 months.
At least 2-3 hours daily for last month, at least 5 days a week.

You'll be a junior this year. You have plenty of time. I recommend not doing February because it's an undisclosed test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”