Last minute cancellation advice

christinalsat

Last minute cancellation advice

Postby christinalsat » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I know. I put it off for too long and I have only a few hours to decide.

Before June's test I was averaging around 170-175. Lowest score was a 167, highest a 180 (not the norm though!). On Monday, I had two experimental LG sections. Nailed the first one and when I got to the second I just kept thinking, "there's no way this is the scored section." Well, it was. I never got the major inference in the third game. I diagrammed a few possibilities which seemed like they worked, but I don't think I got it because I simply couldn't figure out what WOULDN'T work given the placement constraint on one variable. It seemed like almost any succession of variables would work as long as that rule wasn't broken. I spent about 12 mins on this game (which I never really cracked), misdiagramed a rule on the fourth game, and guessed all Ds for the last 6.

Since I still was convinced that the scored LG was the experimental, I think I did fine on the rest of the test. Finished all the sections without any blind guessing. Only other problem was that I had to read the last RC passage really quick and didn't have time to read through all the answer choices on that one -- when I found what looked like the right answer I just bubbled it in and moved on. So if there were any traps on that, I surely fell in them. It seemed pretty straightforward though. Was it?

LG is almost always my weakest section, but usually not by more than -5. I think I am probably looking at -11 this time around, unless the lsat gods blessed us with a lot of Ds and/or I understood the mulch game more than I think I did. I keep hopefully thinking that maybe I bombed the LG, but aced the other sections. I've been averaging around -0 to -2 on LR, but RC can be a toss-up. I've gotten -0, but I've also gotten -5. Usually average around -2 to -3. Everything but the LG section is SUCH a blur though.

My GPA is a 3.89 from an ivy and I have about four years of relevant work experience at this point. Am looking at T14 schools, particularly NYU, Berkeley, UCLA, and Georgetown. Should I cancel?

MURPH

Re: Last minute cancellation advice

Postby MURPH » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Isn't it too late now?

bestusernameever

Postby bestusernameever » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Yea man. I would Cancel. If you are at-11 on lg game alone, you prob could have gotten -20 on the exam. If you are lucky with a -14 curve, you are still looking at a 165. Prob very little shot at those schools

However, if you keep your score and don't get too discouraged and take it again, you can always write an addendum.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:14 pm

No. The schools you are looking at don't really average, except for Berkley and from what you said I don't think you did worse than a 167 or so. If you don't get 170+ just retake in October.

There were plenty of times in my PTs when I bombed a section (usually LG or RC) and still pulled off a 170+, so it seems plausible that you did too.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Ragged wrote:No. The schools you are looking at don't really average, except for Berkley and from what you said I don't think you did worse than a 167 or so. If you don't get 170+ just retake in October.

There were plenty of times in my PTs when I bombed a section (usually LG or RC) and still pulled off a 170+, so it seems plausible that you did too.

This, especially if this was your first time taking the test.

If you don't get the score you know you can achieve then use that to fuel your determination to crush the test and retake in October. You could be throwing away a 170 or higher. Even if schools did average, if you retake a reasonably high score and do well your average is going to be strong. (I retook a 169, ended up with a 176 and I am so glad I didn't cancel the first time)

mst

Postby mst » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm

I say no, don't cancel. NYU and Berkeley average, so that might put you in a rough spot come admission time. You have a high GPA though, so even a 171 or 172 average might be doable with that to get you in.

Realistically if you normally are in the 170-175 range with 5 LG's off, you are probably smart enough to figure out you'll miss 0 to 5 in the others. Sounds like you missed 10 LG's with another 5 so you'll probably be in the 166 range or 167. Not the end of the world scores. Holding onto those could mean a lot less stress and pressure come October, as even a 167 with your GPA can get you into UCLA on a good day, and definitely others in the T20. And just FYI...UCLA isn't t14. It's 15. T14 schools have all, at one time or another, been in the top 14 (none others have). That's what distinguishes them, other than slightly higher scores.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks guys. Do you really think a 165+ is realistic though? I really just don't remember the rest of the test well enough. -20 is probably worst case scenario, -11 is best case scenario. I guess the bigger question is will worst case scenario (low 160s) hurt me to the point where I shouldn't risk it and just cancel?

Thanks for the T14 info. I haven't really looked into all the rankings since I've been so focused on the test. I'd be fine with UCLA though. Also, I just read a recent interview with the Berkeley dean who says they don't average anymore. So I guess NYU is the only school on my list that does.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Well I would be careful with interviews like that. Some schools say that, but there's never a way to be sure. Who know's for sure the effect certain low scores will have when reviewing an applicant, regardless of averaging? That said, worst case scenario for this test is a -10 curve. This would mean a -20 would probably net you a 163. Best case scenario for this test is a -14 curve which will probably net you a 166/167 with a -20.

I'd be learning more towards the -10, but there's a whole thread dedicated towards guessing the curve.

I don't want the blood of your future on my hands either way, so take what I've told you and make a decision. A score below 165 WILL hamper your chance at getting into schools that average. A score above 165 will be easier to average. A score that exists will help you in the fall with nerves and getting into other schools. A score that doesn't exist in the fall will make October nerve-biting. You have all the info you need to make a decision? Any other questions, shoot.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks, you're right. My friend (who took the lsat twice) asked me what would make me feel worse in Oct -- no score at all or a low score. For some reason I find the thought of going into Oct with no score at all a lot more daunting. She was really surprised by that and I still can't explain why I feel that way.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:43 pm

christinalsat wrote:Thanks, you're right. My friend (who took the lsat twice) asked me what would make me feel worse in Oct -- no score at all or a low score. For some reason I find the thought of going into Oct with no score at all a lot more daunting. She was really surprised by that and I still can't explain why I feel that way.

I think this absolutely makes sense. If you cancel then you really have no idea how your feelings about the test after the fact actually related to your score. I was sooo much more relaxed going into my retake, even though I was in no way happy with the score I already had.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”