am i purchasing the proper book?

iheartkennypowers

am i purchasing the proper book?

Postby iheartkennypowers » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 am

hey,

so i want to purchase a kaplan mastery book, however, i am buying it used off of amazon (as there are only used versions available as i can see- i guess because people sell the book copies after taking a kaplan course). because of this i was hoping that i can ensure that i am buying the proper one- i think i am but i just wanna make sure.

so the one that i am looking at, which is the best price considering it is brand new, is titled "LSAT Mastery Practice" and it is the 2008 edition (the cover is like a tan-like brown with a few chess pieces on it).

is this the right one (probably right)?

anonymousquestion

Re: am i purchasing the proper book?

Postby anonymousquestion » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 am

iheartkennypowers wrote:hey,

so i want to purchase a kaplan mastery book, however, i am buying it used off of amazon (as there are only used versions available as i can see- i guess because people sell the book copies after taking a kaplan course). because of this i was hoping that i can ensure that i am buying the proper one- i think i am but i just wanna make sure.

so the one that i am looking at, which is the best price considering it is brand new, is titled "LSAT Mastery Practice" and it is the 2008 edition (the cover is like a tan-like brown with a few chess pieces on it).

is this the right one (probably right)?

2009 is more recent. it should be light blue, not dark blue.

mst

Re: am i purchasing the proper book?

Postby mst » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:54 am

08 will feature basically very little of the last 3 years. But it should suffice. Just make sure its clean and not covered in that persons notes, as this kind of destroys the point.

Finally, let me point this out: Kaplan Mastery is made up of quizzes, games, and passages from the actual LSATs. People tend to recommend it for studying because it splits questions up by type and difficulty. However, I can't understand how this makes sense in any context outside the Kaplan Course regiment. Kaplan specifically assigns certain tests to be part of their endurance book (preptests that are full) and certain tests to make up questions in their mastery, lesson, and pacing book.

When people are at home doing these preptests on their own study system and then they do mastery, they are basically going to be doing questions twice. This doesn't make much sense to me. But I guess it's the closest thing you can get to actually replicating the Kaplan course advantages...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”