Seeking advice...

TKAM89

Seeking advice...

Postby TKAM89 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:51 am

Hi everyone,

I am planning on taking the LSAT in December, and will be doing Testmasters courses (they offer them right next to my college campus), which start in October.

On their website, they said not to do preparation from other courses, etc. before taking the class, because they teach certain methods.

I have all 3 of the Power Score Bibles, and I am wondering if I should go through them (especially Logic Games and Logical Reasoning) before I start taking the courses in the fall, or if this would end up confusing me in some way. I want to get as much information as I can, but am fearful of conflicting strategies/methods/etc

Any advice? Is it possible to study too soon?

Thanks for reading this!

Also, any prep tips off the top of your head is appreciated :) (though I have a whole forum and a search button at my disposal!)

jdstl

Re: Seeking advice...

Postby jdstl » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:59 am

My advice would be to skip the course all together, unless you need the motivation. I can't think of a better and more flexible method than PT's combined with Bibles (and it's a lot cheaper).

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:05 am

If you end up taking a course, take Blueprint instead of Testmasters. Have taken both and always encourage my friends to take the former. To use a nerdy tech analogy, Testmasters is like a Windows ME Dell laptop, while Blueprint is like a Leopard OS Macbook. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, PM me. :)

mst

Postby mst » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:10 am

I think you're putting WAY too much hope into the fact that you're friends would like MAC over Windows when giving recommendations.

And OP: I don't know how much the two methods would counter-act each other. I will say that you if you start reading now, you will probably get bored in your testmasters class a lot faster.

That said, there is the option of dropping the class if you're willing to do a little extra work with those books and buying practice lsats, while saving money (this was previously stated). However, most classes offer opportunities like preptest answers, proctored exams, and oh yeah: old exams that you don't have to track down individually. So they do have their advantages.
Last edited by mst on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:14 am

mst wrote:I think you're putting WAY too much hope into the fact that you're friends would like MAC over Windows when giving recommendations.

Hahaha, you're right; but I never claimed to be objective! Plus, I'm too lazy to go over every single disadvantage of Testmasters.

Love the mauve dino avatar btw (would take 4 of those games over this June's B.S. anyday!)

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:18 am

Powerscore developed their material off of testmasters material. They are very similar except that testmasters is a bit more comprehensive. If you are going to read the PS stuff, there's really no point in doing the course or vice versa. Courses are only good as a starting point and after that they have little, if any value. You'd be better reading PS bibles and then getting a tutor with the 1000 bucks you'd save.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”