LR section with the most absurd answer pattern ever?

Hey-O

Re: LR section with the most absurd answer pattern ever?

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:55 pm

sundance95 wrote:
This means that either the LSAC has changed its policy OR you have the answer wrong.

You are making an unwarranted assumption, namely, that LSAC has any policy at all regarding repetitious answer choices. It very well could be that there is none and now, randomly, five in a row are correct.

4 test a year, 5 sections each, ~25 answers per section, 19 years of administering tests ~= 9,500 questions administered thus far in the history of the modern LSAT. The fact that a statistically improbable sequence occurred in your test means nothing, given 9,500 repetitions it would be statistically unlikely for five in a row not to occasionally occur.

Moral of the story: study hard enough to be confident enough in your answer and not worry about 'patterns.'

It is more unwarranted to assume that a series of highly bizarre stastical anomalies are due to random chance rather than that the LSAC is manipulating the answers.

rachel123

Postby rachel123 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:52 pm

I also remember a cascade at one point in LR and only 3 A's in one of the LR sections as well!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Am I the only one who thinks it's crazy to bother looking at the bubble pattern? If you were confident with an answer, would you really second guess yourself just because 'this would make the fifth straight C'?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:01 am

kesexton wrote:
alicrimson wrote:After I turned in my test, I felt like I was going to cry because I looked at the answer sheet and saw I had like two of a letter and tons of two. So I know how you felt lol.

Thank god. I felt like half of the test was AAEECCBBDDAAEEBBDDEEAABBEEDD. Something along the lines of that<<<.

Bunch of 2 in a rows? Sorry man I don't think so. Didn't have a pattern even close to that. More along the lines of what other posters are saying about the second LR having a lot of C's and D's.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:03 am

kkklick wrote:
kesexton wrote:
alicrimson wrote:After I turned in my test, I felt like I was going to cry because I looked at the answer sheet and saw I had like two of a letter and tons of two. So I know how you felt lol.

Thank god. I felt like half of the test was AAEECCBBDDAAEEBBDDEEAABBEEDD. Something along the lines of that<<<.

Bunch of 2 in a rows? Sorry man I don't think so. Didn't have a pattern even close to that. More along the lines of what other posters are saying about the second LR having a lot of C's and D's.

That's what i meant when I said I had "tons of two". C and D all day, everyday.

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 am

sundance95 wrote:
nireca wrote:
sundance95 wrote:How can otherwise intelligent and logical people be so convinced that scantron answer patterns offer some insight into whether one did well or not?

I don't think it offers much insight regarding whether I did well or not. However, due to its irregularity, it is cause for concern, especially if no one else experienced it on the test (which, fortunately, doesn't seem to be the case). Imagine if every answer was D for a section. Granted, unless I saw a mistake that I made somewhere in the section I am not going to change a single answer, but it is extremely unlikely that this would ever happen, and so, I don't think it would be unreasonable to think that perhaps you had made a mistake, especially if you didn't have time to go back and review your work.

Sure, if *every* answer was D, you'd naturally be perturbed because the statistical odds of rolling a 5 sided die 26 times in a row and getting a 5 every time are astronomical. However, getting four or five in a row...much less so, especially when you realize that its almost a certainty that this will happen occasionally given a data set of all LSAT sections ever produced, rather than focusing on one particular test.

5-sided die? Sounds like we've got a veteran AD&D player on our hands! :roll:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”