Advice needed, please.

astrosag

Advice needed, please.

Postby astrosag » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey guys. Well I hope most of you had a better experience than I did.

This past LSAT test (June 7th) was my first LSAT test and I took a complete 2 months off of looking for a job and nearly everything else that would stop me from studying. I was averaging well on the PTs - 172 +.

Sat down, thought I was ready, didn't really like how crammed the seating arrangement was (but thats hardly an excuse).

Took a look at the first LG section (LG being my strength!) and boom. Struggled on one LG problem set and I was leveled from then on. I couldn't focus on any other section and although the questions were easy and I'm positive I got most of the LR and RC right, on nearly every section, I finished two to three questions short of the end (= I had to just guess and fill those bubbles in!).

Needless to say, I'll be retaking this thing in October. Now that I know the testing environment and how flustered I just got (i had images of law schools that I couldn't apply to, what I'll do in life considering that I don't want to stick to engineering...ahhh~ lol), I know what to focus on.

My question to all you bright and experienced people is...do I cancel this score knowing that I did not hit 170+ (although I'm almost positive its above 160)? 1 cancellation, from my reading, is the rule of thumb - you don't want to set a trend. No more than that but of course, no cancellations is golden.

My October practice will be more focused on the environment and brush up a bit on the hardest LGs. I've gone through nearly every PT so taking PTs probably won't work.

Suggestions please?

Thank you for all your help by the way. These forums are great.

I too feel like I wasted a ton of time for a mediocre result. I wish wish and wish some more that I could change that. But I can't. Its a fact of life but not the end of life. Now I'm just looking to move on in the best direction I can.

Thank you once again for your help.

GermX

Re: Advice needed, please.

Postby GermX » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Don't cancel unless you're sure you messed up. I took the exam in September last year, thought I didn't do as well and cancelled. Took it in december and got a 169, which I'm pretty sure is what I got in September after reviewing the exam. So seriously, Everyone for the most part feels like shit post-exam. Trust your instinct.

mst

Postby mst » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm

I agree that you don't cancel, unless you are looking to get into schools that average your scores (like the better schools in the t14), in which case you cancel if you didn't get a score that you think will be good enough to get into those.

Sounds like you didn't do that bad though. If you missed 3 + whatever you missed on logic games (not sure if you did bad on real lg or experimental???), and that comes out to less than 10 or so, you might actually be in decent shape.

astrosag

Postby astrosag » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

And mst, you're absolutely right, I did bad on one LG, but good on the other...it was the first section of the test..not sure if that has any bearing of it being experimental or not.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm

astrosag wrote:Thanks to both of you for your advice.

And mst, you're absolutely right, I did bad on one LG, but good on the other...it was the first section of the test..not sure if that has any bearing of it being experimental or not.

mulch/interns was real. I'm pretty sure you messed up on the experimental since I had my LG section 3rd and my experimental RC 1st.

marklg89

Postby marklg89 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 am

Just wanted to assure you: the first LG section (the one you messed up) WAS THE EXPERIMENTAL. So if you crapped it and did well on the rest of the test, you may very well still be in good shape. Also, the above posters are right. Nearly everyone feels like shit when they leave the test center and are likely overestimating how poorly they actually performed, could just be baseless pessimism.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 pm

I'll clarify that statement above: if you had 2 logic games, the one that didnt have mulch and interns was experimental. If you had one logic game, it was real. You'll be fine either way. Keep us updated on the scores.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”