iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sabbath observers test

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:13 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Being a sabbath observer, I am going to take the October 2010 sabbath observers test. Can anyone tell me how, if at all, sabbath observers tests differ from the regular ones. Is it the same 4 scored sections? Why isn't the sabbath observers LSAT disclosed?

It's a real LSAT, it just won't be the same as the 2010 Oct LSAT everyone else takes. They don't disclose because they may reuse parts of it for other undisclosed tests.

Do you really strictly observe it? Seems pretty extreme for 2010.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Being a sabbath observer, I am going to take the October 2010 sabbath observers test. Can anyone tell me how, if at all, sabbath observers tests differ from the regular ones. Is it the same 4 scored sections? Why isn't the sabbath observers LSAT disclosed?

It's a real LSAT, it just won't be the same as the 2010 Oct LSAT everyone else takes. They don't disclose because they may reuse parts of it for other undisclosed tests.

what the hell does this mean?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:21 pm

miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Not doing work on a day of the week for religious reasons is out dated.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm

That's what I thought.

Um...you do realize there are many people that maintain the sabbath and live out reasonable, successful lives, yes? Something like 5% of Columbia students are devout Jews. I'd guess that a similar percentage of New Yorkers are observant. (for purposes of illustration, Sascha Baron Cohen is devoutly religious.)

More generally: You do realize that many people observe slightly less intrusive but infinitely more crazy religious practices than the sabbath, right? I'm not religious, not by a mile, but I don't think that OP's taking a Sabbath observer LSAT is any good proxy for his ability to succeed in law school or, ultimately, as a practitioner.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:30 pm

miamiman wrote:That's what I thought.

Um...you do realize there are many people that maintain the sabbath and live out reasonable, successful lives, yes? Something like 5% of Columbia students are devout Jews. I'd guess that a similar percentage of New Yorkers are observant. (for purposes of illustration, Sascha Baron Cohen is devoutly religious.)

More generally: You do realize that many people observe slightly less intrusive but infinitely more crazy religious practices than the sabbath, right? I'm not religious, not by a mile, but I don't think that OP's taking a Sabbath observer LSAT is any good proxy for his ability to succeed in law school or, ultimately, as a practitioner.

I didn't say it was a proxy for ability to succeed, I'm really just surprised people still follow it. I grew up in an area with a large population of jews. Probably half my town, and I never met one who observed. I think they were all reformed Jews though.

I'm also outraged Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays. That's BULLSHIT.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:That's what I thought.

I didn't say it was a proxy for ability to succeed, I'm really just surprised people still follow it. I grew up in an area with a large population of jews. Probably half my town, and I never met one who observed. I think they were all reformed Jews though.

I'm also outraged Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays. That's BULLSHIT.

Where did you grow up that half the town was Jewish and no one was observant?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:32 pm

dominkay wrote:
Where did you grow up that half the town was Jewish and no one was observant?

Suburbs of Chicago. It's probably more like 1/3 now that I think of it.

SAE

Postby SAE » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:35 pm

--ImageRemoved--

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:38 pm

I took the Sabbath observers test too. (More out of respect for my family then anything else.) There were hundreds of people in the room, and they were most definitely not all Jewish.

It's often the same one given in Asia/ Middle East, and uses experimental sections from past years as real sections, though I know eventually all tests are comprised of this. I managed to research enough to figure this out.

I don't like taking an undisclosed test, you never know the curve, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we get the crappy questions.

Alternately, many people believe that Sabbath observers get the easier tests, which is total BS.

Test is not disclosed because they reuse the questions for 'regular' LSATs too.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:39 pm

I grew up in South Florida. Everyone here is Jewish, Cuban, or both. A sizable percentage of the Jews are very observant. Many lead extremely normal lives. I don't know what to say beyond that.

Re: the notion of it being "outdated". Many thinigs are outdated; fax machines, combustion engines, the top-law-schools.com interface, law school, the legal profession, I could continue this tired string of examples. I dont know if something's being outdated makes it a candidate for being ridiculed.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

HazelEyes wrote:

I took the Sabbath observers test too. (More out of respect for my family then anything else.) There were hundreds of people in the room, and they were most definitely not all Jewish.

It's often the same one given in Asia/ Middle East, and uses experimental sections from past years as real sections, though I know eventually all tests are comprised of this. I managed to research enough to figure this out.

I don't like taking an undisclosed test, you never know the curve, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we get the crappy questions.

Alternately, many people believe that Sabbath observers get the easier tests, which is total BS.

It won't be easier or harder, and you won't get crappy questions. After every LSAT there is a shitshow on TLS about how questions were flawed and unfair, then the test is released and everyone shuts up.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:

It won't be easier or harder, and you won't get crappy questions. After every LSAT there is a shitshow on TLS about how questions were flawed and unfair, then the test is released and everyone shuts up.

RC fail. Test is never released. Scores are released, that's it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:44 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:

I meant disclosed tests are argued about, then they are released and every shuts. My point was that the reason these myths exist is because there is never final proof that the questions were fine. I just didn't think I had to explicitly point out my point.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:

I meant disclosed tests are argued about, then they are released and every shuts. My point was that the reason these myths exist is because there is never final proof that the questions were fine. I just didn't think I had to explicitly point out my point.

You did.

Here's my reasoning: why would the LSAC spent the same effort preparing a test that thousands of people will take, versus a test a few hundred of people would take. It's a simple equation. But obviously it's a futile argument.

More importantly, why are you so interested in this topic?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 pm

HazelEyes wrote:You did.

Here's my reasoning: why would the LSAC spent the same effort preparing a test that thousands of people will take, versus a test a few hundred of people would take. It's a simple equation. But obviously it's a futile argument.

More importantly, why are you so interested in this topic?

They reuse the sections in the undisclosed tests several times, and maybe even use it for the Feb undisclosed test which would be used for tens of thousands.

However the real reason is because their mission is to create a very standardized test. They go to extreme lengths to make sure that every LSAT is equal in difficulty.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:I'm also outraged Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays. That's BULLSHIT.

The owner's are Christian and you have to be a Christian to own a franchise.

SAE

Postby SAE » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:10 pm

nillumin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:I'm also outraged Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays. That's BULLSHIT.

public companies ftw

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:14 pm

nillumin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Like I said BULLSHIT.

wizger

Postby wizger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

ridiculous statement. in regards to religion age is not a negative but rather an indication of truth. the debate is not whether or not jews still must keep jewish law but whether it was given to begin with. as far as i know there hasn't been a second mount sinai gathering in which G-d said 'you know what guys let's scrap the original plan and you can do whatever you want on sabath'. and until that happens i don't see how age is a reason to say it's not necessary to observe it anymore, and i don't see how the lack of observation by some, even most, has any baring on the relevance of the laws of sabath today.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:31 pm

wizger wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

ridiculous statement. in regards to religion age is not a negative but rather an indication of truth. the debate is not whether or not jews still must keep jewish law but whether it was given to begin with. as far as i know there hasn't been a second mount sinai gathering in which G-d said 'you know what guys let's scrap the original plan and you can do whatever you want on sabath'. and until that happens i don't see how age is a reason to say it's not necessary to observe it anymore, and i don't see how the lack of observation by some, even most, has any baring on the relevance of the laws of sabath today.

TBF the first one didn't happen either.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Most Seventh Day Adventist communities are still extremely observant as well. You actually get your mail from the post office on Sunday instead of Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loma_Linda ... e_features

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Agree......this coming from someone who was raised jewish and had a bar mitzvah, although never religious at all (even a little). And then when I got old enough to think for myself, I realized what was up :lol: .

wizger

Postby wizger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
wizger wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

TBF the first one didn't happen either.

you know that because you were alive then? :D

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:45 pm

wizger wrote:
you know that because you were alive then? :D

Yes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”