LG Speeeeed

rjh456

LG Speeeeed

Postby rjh456 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 am

Does anyone have any effective approaches for picking up speed on LG sections? This is a major weakness of mine and after getting slammed on the SuperPrep A-C games I need a serious strategy for the next couple months. I've read the LG bible, done all the games in ten actual and the next ten actual books... Untimed I can easily go -0 or -1 but I can't seem to complete more than about 3-3.5 (max!) games in 35min on the real thing. Any ideas for how I can finally finish four games on time, or better yet - under time??

etown989

Re: LG Speeeeed

Postby etown989 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 am

inferences and hypos... spending a little more time in the setup can help you breeze through a few questions usually

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 am

Work out an algorithm of what you do for every game. For example, list variables, draw a chart, diagram rules, make inferences, move to quesitons. Also do the quesitons in a specific way. Usually do the first one that presents you with 5 different set ups and asks you which one is correct, then all the hypotheticals, then MUST/CANT be true.

Make sure the process becomes mechanical.

No other advice I can give. Just practice, practice, practice. Than practice to do each section in 33 minutes instead of 35. Also try doing individual games in 9 minutes or so.

apropos

Postby apropos » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 am

Yes, I suggest doing individual games rather than full section at first. It's easier then to go back while the rules are fresh to see what kinds of connections could be made more quickly and naturally. For me it was just a matter of practice, and eventually connections that take time just bounce naturally from your mind... hopefully.
But definitely practice using individual games, and go for 8 minutes each (or 9, as the person above me suggested).

Also, I found (someone later in on my practicing) that doing question 1 (when it's the usual "which one of these is an acceptable ordering/grouping..") before doing a lot of the inferences sped up the inferences because you see them by applying the individual rules, which I find is faster for the first question anyhow..

rjh456

Postby rjh456 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:47 am

thanks for all this advice. apropos and ragged i think you're right about trying to keep each game to 8-9 minutes... I did this in the very beginning, but I think somewhere in the depths of the LR and RC bibles I got rusty on games and timing, so maybe if I start working towards a specific time on individual games i'll finally get it...

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:38 am

+1 on most of the prior advice.

The more inferences (connections) you make initially, the easier the questions in the game will be.

A lot of timed practice is important, of course. However, I do believe that untimed practice on LG is important as well. You need to give yourself a chance to learn how LG work before limiting yourself to timed conditions.

Btw, I would not recommend ever limiting yourself to 8 mins 45 seconds for the harder LG. 8:45 is only an average, some games will (or at least, should) take less than 8:45, and others will take longer than that. The time you save on the easier games can be applied to the harder ones.

When timing yourself, limit yourself to the time for the full section as a whole.

Also, I highly recommend reusing previous valid scenarios. See PT34, G3 for an example of a game where previous work speeds things up a lot.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:53 am

I agree with the above posts. The more practice you do, the more inferences you will learn to make, your diagramming will become more refined, and you will gain speed. The way you find an inference in one game can help you in finding an inference in another game. When I first started out two weeks ago, it took me 30-35 min or so to even finish a single game - and those answers were half wrong anyways. I used the LGB to help me with logic games and that plus tons of practice on that particular game type has helped me go from -8 to -11 a section to go to several perfect game scores and LG sections of -2 and -3. Not to mention that while it took me the entire LG time limit to do a single game, I'm now taking anywhere from 12-15 min per game. So while that is not the 8 min or less I should be spending per game, it's still a major improvement compared to where I previously started out.

Also, how is your studying atmosphere? If you have any distractions when you are trying to do the games within an allotted time limit, distractions can seriously slow you down. This is definitely one of my problems. If you don't do this already, I suggest putting your phone on silent, turning the TV off, and removing all distractions until you are able to complete a game in 8 or 9 minutes - then you should slowly introduce distractions to simulate test day conditions.

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:59 am

I'm still working on this, but I know a technique I'm trying to apply is to do the games out of order (when necessary). If I do the easier/faster games first, it helps me know how much time I can allocate for the harder/longer games. (I call "faster" anything less than the average 8:45.)

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice. Get your own system and do them the same every time you play a game. I would re-do the same game over and over and over again until I could do them in about 8 minutes (although I agree with the above advice not to be too stuck on eight minutes. When you get good at logic games the easier games take much less time than 8:45.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am

Also (and I only say this because I am very, very mean) note that the LG from the 40s are super easy.

I started at -12 on a timed section
-study, study-
Got to -6 on timed section
-study, study-
-6 on timed section
-study, study-
-6 on timed section
-study, study, study, study, study, study,study, study, study,study, study, study-
-study, study, study, study, study, study,study, study, study,study, study, study-

-0 on timed section in 25 MINUTES! AWESOME!!!!! I got it!!

That was in a 40 section, but I still got it perfect in 10 minutes under time. I really thought I hd LG nailed and it really, really, really hurt when I got -9 on LG on my next practice test (from the 50s)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”