LSAT Advice

cardinals03

LSAT Advice

Postby cardinals03 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Need advice--On pt's (about 20 of them), scores ranged from 162-166. I froze on the June LSAT. I am thinking of cancelling, but I am just so damn curious about my score. I am applying to Memphis Law School because of family obligations. I know this is not one of the top schools by no means, but I was wondering what everyone thought about the chances of a low score completely ruining me here. I am going to retake in October and I have signed up for the Powerscore virtual class. I feel like I did not perform to my standards by any means, but I would like to see what the worst test score of my life will look like. Say I get a 150-153 and then come back and nail the October with a 162-165, do they really place a great emphasis on the lower score? I feel 100% confident it was due to nerves.
Would you cancel?
BTW--3.96 GPA

Barbie

Re: LSAT Advice

Postby Barbie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Memphis isn't extremely difficult to get into. With your GPA, even a 150 would most likely get you accepted. I wouldn't worry too much.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:07 pm

dude, if you know its going to be 10 points lower than your average then cancel. you know you're going to take it in October so why have the bad score sitting there for no reason. It's different if you're just getting the post-test jitters, but you legitimately sound like you know you bombed it. get a 165+ and go to vandy with that GPA if it's an option. no offense, I don't know much about your situation or memphis law, but that's what I would do.

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:07 pm

It's hard to make a prediction without an actual LSAT score. Also, is that your LSDAS GPA or just your undergrad?

Go on Law School Numbers or Law School Predictor and thumb through that. Should give you a really good idea.

My feelings are that your GPA should get you in, however you should see if Memphis averages or only takes your top score. Because if you're re-taking anyways and they average, I might recommend canceling if you're sure you really bombed it THAT bad.

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 pm

let it rip. You can retest if need be. I am with you, I am waiting for the "worst test score" to pop. I would be psyched if I saw a 147 vs. a 155. If I am not killing the test, I would prefer to have something totally laughable. Something to look back on later in life. If I were a betting man I would bet that memphis is all about highest score.

You will get in and get things sorted out.

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm

I look on their site, they take your top score but encourage an explanation for score variances.

I think you're totally safe on them taking only your top score and other lower scores being almost a non-factor.

The only thing to consider is whether or not you're positive you want to go to Memphis, because an exceptionally low score may hurt you elsewhere.

http://www.memphis.edu/lawadmissions/LS ... ration.php

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:15 pm

http://www.memphis.edu/lawadmissions/LA ... ts2009.pdf

Class Profile.

I think even a low 150s with your GPA would give you a somewhat decent chance. Their 75th percentile is only a 158.

cardinals03

Postby cardinals03 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm

JWicker10 wrote:The only thing to consider is whether or not you're positive you want to go to Memphis, because an exceptionally low score may hurt you elsewhere.

I am absolutely sure---I have 2 sons and I am finishing putting my wife through nursing school. I live about an hour away from the campus. I just feel really irritated about freezing on the exam. I guessed on more than I would have liked. I was debating whether keeping the score regardless would hurt me because I am interested in seeing what the score will be.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't know the role that financial aid plays in your decision, but a good number of schools grant financial aid to those who have numbers above their 75th percentile. No idea if this applies in your case, but if that's something to consider, you might want to drop this score...For example, if you get a 165 or such on your next exam, and Memphis is offering merit based aid, you stand a good chance of receiving some simply because you would bring their numbers up, or they risk losing you to another school, etc.

That all said, there seems to be a whole lot of people who freak out in their first exam, and then retake and freak out in their second exam. And there seems to be a lot of people who don't. You should seriously consider which type you are, so you can truly evaluate the chances of improvement. Take some time tonight to look into the financial aid information of the school. Evaluate (honestly) your chances of scoring highly, consider your options, and make your decision. However, don't make this decision based off pure curiosity. That's an easy way to set yourself up for major financial losses in some cases, and in the case you get a 145 or something terrible, possibly set yourself up for rejection.

Good luck making the decision, but be careful because time is running short...

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:33 am

cardinals03 wrote:
JWicker10 wrote:The only thing to consider is whether or not you're positive you want to go to Memphis, because an exceptionally low score may hurt you elsewhere.

I am absolutely sure---I have 2 sons and I am finishing putting my wife through nursing school. I live about an hour away from the campus. I just feel really irritated about freezing on the exam. I guessed on more than I would have liked. I was debating whether keeping the score regardless would hurt me because I am interested in seeing what the score will be.

I am in a similar situation. My wife is a nurse and I am bringing my two kids to school with me. Hospitals often like tohire nurses with 2 years of experience. Nursing homes will take almost any warm body that walks through the door. They usually have 100% or higher turnover rates because the job is pure misery. Doctors offices and clinics usually want nurses with one year of hospital experience too but they will wave that if you know someone. There are nursing jobs a plenty in every city in America and in most small college towns too. If you want specific advice about a nursing career or for finding work for your wife PM me. I've been a nurse and nursing school instructor for 12 years.
there is almost no good reason to cancel. And it is probably too late now anyway. You have at least three shots to take the LSAT. Four if you can get a school to "sponsor" you. It is easy. The schools only report the highest to USNWR. that is the number they care most about. If you are not happy then begin studying. Take all 60 PTs and use the Powerscore Bibles.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 pm

darby girl wrote:Memphis isn't extremely difficult to get into. With your GPA, even a 150 would most likely get you accepted. I wouldn't worry too much.

That is complete BS. It may have been true a few years ago, but not now. A 150 will get you a ding from Memphis in a heartbeat, any day of the week, unless you are a URM. If you're a URM, there is a remedial summer program called TIP. If you do well in TIP, you'll be offered admission then.

The trend this admissions cycle is that sub-153 gets you dinged regardless of GPA, 158 or higher gets an acceptance, and anything between those two numbers gets you WL'ed. These are almost without exception. Just look and see: http://memphis.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

To the OP: the good news is that Memphis admissions seems to be very LSAT heavy, so if you can improve, go for it. They really do only consider the highest score, so I would not feel bad about a retake.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm

LoriBelle wrote:
darby girl wrote:Memphis isn't extremely difficult to get into. With your GPA, even a 150 would most likely get you accepted. I wouldn't worry too much.

That is complete BS. It may have been true a few years ago, but not now. A 150 will get you a ding from Memphis in a heartbeat, any day of the week, unless you are a URM. If you're a URM, there is a remedial summer program called TIP. If you do well in TIP, you'll be offered admission then.

The trend this admissions cycle is that sub-153 gets you dinged regardless of GPA, 158 or higher gets an acceptance, and anything between those two numbers gets you WL'ed. These are almost without exception. Just look and see: http://memphis.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

To the OP: the good news is that Memphis admissions seems to be very LSAT heavy, so if you can improve, go for it. They really do only consider the highest score, so I would not feel bad about a retake.

Actually, this cycle, phamby got in with a 153/3.6. Obviously her GPA gave her the ability to get in with a 153. Anyways, theres only like 15, if even, dots on that chart. I wouldn't base my judgements off of it.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 am

True, but it's not an automatic in, and "150 will most likely get you in" is patently false. It's pretty UNlikely that a 150 will get you in, though not impossible.

There are only 23 dots on the chart, but I'm actually AT Memphis. Talking to the students in the summer TIP program, a 150 usually doesn't get you in, even with a decent GPA. It's not impossible, but to say it's likely is incorrect information.

I suspect, with the new facilities, the admissions office at Memphis is working on raising the school's ranking. One way to do so is to raise admissions standards. I don't think a 150 usually cuts it. 153 was the 25th percentile LSAT last year. 3.66 was the 75th percentile GPA. Historically, high-LSAT splitters have done better than high-GPA splitters. Like I said, it's possible that a 150 could get someone in, but it's not particularly likely.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:40 pm

LoriBelle wrote:True, but it's not an automatic in, and "150 will most likely get you in" is patently false. It's pretty UNlikely that a 150 will get you in, though not impossible.

There are only 23 dots on the chart, but I'm actually AT Memphis. Talking to the students in the summer TIP program, a 150 usually doesn't get you in, even with a decent GPA. It's not impossible, but to say it's likely is incorrect information.

I suspect, with the new facilities, the admissions office at Memphis is working on raising the school's ranking. One way to do so is to raise admissions standards. I don't think a 150 usually cuts it. 153 was the 25th percentile LSAT last year. 3.66 was the 75th percentile GPA. Historically, high-LSAT splitters have done better than high-GPA splitters. Like I said, it's possible that a 150 could get someone in, but it's not particularly likely.

I'm actually on my law-school-tour across the South East right now, sitting at my hotel in Gainesville after touring UF. I kinda wish Memphis was closer to Tenn because I have plans to see UT. I am big on facilities, and have heard UT is a "concrete jungle", which doesn't necesarily excite me. Memphis is just like all the other nice, private schools for each state. GA has Mercer, which has similar standards, FL has Stetson, and so on. They continue to try to raise their standards, and they do, but so does every other school each year as the competition rises.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm just saying that we had a recent and quite significant upgrade in facilities. The new building is GORGEOUS, very functional, with an awesome view of the Mississippi. For a public school with limited funding, Memphis is not doing too badly for itself. I really would look for a rankings push in the next couple of years, but who knows?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”