Writing Sample in Cursive?

AmbitiousPanda

Writing Sample in Cursive?

Postby AmbitiousPanda » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 am

My proctor told us that we all had to write in cursive, or "longhand" as she called it, because printing, "shorthand", is not accepted. I know it's just the writing sample and most schools won't even look at it but I'm kind of pissed.

1. It looks like shit-- hardly legible cause I haven't written in cursive since 2nd grade.
2. It makes me look stupid-- people who do look at it are going to ask why the hell this dumbass tried to write in cursive when they don't even know how to.

Should I even bother contacting LSAC or the testing center about this?

justinmcl

Re: Writing Sample in Cursive?

Postby justinmcl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 am

My proctors told us that we could write in print form, but I am 99% it should be cursive, so that is what I did. From what I have heard, alot of schools just scan the writing sample, seeing how neat the handwriting is, and noting any glaring issues in grammar ect. I know it sounds stupid, but I have heard they just want to see if you can write coherently after all that stress/mental exhaustion that you have been through. Correct me if I am wrong

CCoolidge

Postby CCoolidge » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 am

AmbitiousPanda wrote:most schools won't even look at it

wrong

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 am

i wrote in cursive. four schools that rejected me sent me a letter saying it was because i wrote my writing sample in cursive. three that wl-ed me wrote me back saying i would have been accepted otherwise.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:27 am

I have absolutely no idea how to write in cursive. I just faked my way through the 3rd grade and went back to printing/block lettering everything and I've never had someone comment on that (teachers, professors, bosses, etc.). My writing sample isn't in cursive, and I'm not worried. I doubt any law school will care as long as it's legible and well-written.

witty username

Postby witty username » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:35 am

youpiiz wrote:i wrote in cursive. four schools that rejected me sent me a letter saying it was because i wrote my writing sample in cursive. three that wl-ed me wrote me back saying i would have been accepted otherwise.

are you being serious?

My proctors never mentioned anything about writing in cursive for the writing sample, so I didn't write it in cursive........... Is this going to be a big problem????
Last edited by witty username on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:37 am

witty username wrote:are you being serious?

How come I don't remember the proctors mentioning anything about writing in cursing for the writing sample? Is this going to be a big problem????

no!!! i was not being serious!! however, if you wrote in cursing that may be an issue!!!

witty username

Postby witty username » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:39 am

youpiiz wrote:
witty username wrote:are you being serious?

How come I don't remember the proctors mentioning anything about writing in cursing for the writing sample? Is this going to be a big problem????

no!!! i was not being serious!! however, if you wrote in cursing that may be an issue!!!

hahahahaha I JUST edited that!!!! you are too fast :lol:

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 am

witty username wrote:hahahahaha I JUST edited that!!!! you are too fast :lol:

stay that way babe, dont change :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 am

witty username wrote:My proctors never mentioned anything about writing in cursive for the writing sample, so I didn't write it in cursive........... Is this going to be a big problem????

It's not a problem. I checked with LSAC last year when I was being way too neurotic about the LSAT, and they said that either print or cursive was fine.

witty username

Postby witty username » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:49 am

youpiiz wrote:
witty username wrote:hahahahaha I JUST edited that!!!! you are too fast :lol:

stay that way babe, dont change :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hahahahah :lol:

UGH seriously though I'm having a panic attack. I don't remember the proctors telling me to write in cursive for the certifying statement or for the writing sample......so I didn't write in cursive for both. Is this going to cost me? Do I need to cancel my score????

witty username

Postby witty username » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:49 am

forty-two wrote:
witty username wrote:My proctors never mentioned anything about writing in cursive for the writing sample, so I didn't write it in cursive........... Is this going to be a big problem????

It's not a problem. I checked with LSAC last year when I was being way too neurotic about the LSAT, and they said that either print or cursive was fine.

How about the certifying statement?

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:02 am

Last edited by sconnielaw13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:05 am

witty username wrote:

call lsac tomorrow and ask. just to make sure. that will bring you peace of mind.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:05 am

Cursive doesn't even need to be taught anymore, it has been replaced by typing.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:06 am

Tautology wrote:Cursive doesn't even need to be taught anymore, it has been replaced by typing.

a man's handwriting shows a man's character!!!!
learning cursive in third grade is like eating breakfast in the morning!!!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 am

witty username wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be in cursive, but I'm not positive. If you're really worried, you might want to call LSAC to check, but I doubt it's a big deal.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 am

forty-two wrote:
I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be in cursive, but I'm not positive. If you're really worried, you might want to call LSAC to check, but I doubt it's a big deal.

yeah i think vlien's answer up there is tcr.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:17 am

The writing sample does not have to be in cursive. That's not even part of the instructions, you just had dumb proctors. The certifying statement does say cursive but there are plenty of people - myself included - that don't even know how to write in cursive anymore and just printed it. You'll be fine! Relax guys.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 am

youpiiz wrote:
Tautology wrote:Cursive doesn't even need to be taught anymore, it has been replaced by typing.

a man's handwriting shows a man's character!!!!
learning cursive in third grade is like eating breakfast in the morning!!!

Living in the past is neither manly nor filling.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 am

Kilpatrick wrote:The writing sample does not have to be in cursive. That's not even part of the instructions, you just had dumb proctors. The certifying statement does say cursive but there are plenty of people - myself included - that don't even know how to write in cursive anymore and just printed it. You'll be fine! Relax guys.

oh yeah. now that i think about it mine wasnt really in cursive either. the certifying statement. so it should be fine.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 am

youpiiz wrote:
forty-two wrote:

yeah i think vlien's answer up there is tcr.

Oops, I somehow missed that post.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:22 am

Tautology wrote:Living in the past is neither manly nor filling.

that is an excellent answer!!!
closing circles is important!!!

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:28 am

It's the writing sample. It doesn't matter. /thread

Llewellyn

Postby Llewellyn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:29 am

youpiiz wrote:i wrote in cursive. four schools that rejected me sent me a letter saying it was because i wrote my writing sample in cursive. three that wl-ed me wrote me back saying i would have been accepted otherwise.

+1
From talking to admissions counselors at a various t25 schools, they all take the writing sample very seriously. There is a checklist they use to correlate between the writing sample and your personal statement, to compare the two samples and determine the likelihood that the same person authored both pieces. For example, writing in cursive correlates to the number of typos and grammatical errors in your personal statement. If you wrote in cursive, they expect to find many typos and grammatical errors in your personal statement. On the other hand, writing in print suggests very few typos and grammatical errors in your personal statement. There are, of course, other various categories but on the topic of cursive vs. print, this was the most glaringly obvious (and possibly damning) superficial category. Going forward, I would make sure to write your personal statement with as few errors as possible or the admissions counselors will think you hired someone else to either write your personal statement, or take the LSAT in lieu.

Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”