If you felt really prepared for the June '10 test rave about

JetsMets

If you felt really prepared for the June '10 test rave about

Postby JetsMets » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 pm

your tutor or prep test company here.

These boards have a lot of negative posts, but if you have something positive to say I thought I should give those comments a place to call home.

You don't have to mention a tutor by name, but even something such as 'Mary in Northern Indiana' could be enough for someone who is looking into finding a course instructor or tutor.

Also, that is the one huge piece of advice I give to anyone who has signed up or is considering signing up for a prep class, ask around about the instructor (if they won't tell you who the instructor is that is a bad sign).

Good Luck to all getting ready for October and beyond.

youpiiz

Re: If you felt really prepared for the June '10 test rave about

Postby youpiiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 pm

J-E-T-S-JETS-JETS-JETS

carboy67

Postby carboy67 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 pm

powerscore in austin was really great.... helped me move from a 159 originally to a couple of practice test scores in the 178-179 range

JetsMets

Postby JetsMets » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Thinking about going to mini-camp Monday, we shall see...

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm

carboy67 wrote:powerscore in austin was really great.... helped me move from a 159 originally to a couple of practice test scores in the 178-179 range

Meh, it really wasn't that good. The materials were great, but the instructor I had sucked imho. Lot of having people read questions out loud like a class full of kindergarten children and about 90% of the time it ended 30 minutes early.

If I could do it again I'd just force myself to self-study. I felt like a lot of time spent in that class would have been better spent studying by myself at the library.

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14 pm

carboy67 wrote:powerscore in austin was really great.... helped me move from a 159 originally to a couple of practice test scores in the 178-179 range

HEY! Who are you?

I also agree--loved loved loved PowerScore here in Austin.

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 pm

CMDantes wrote:

Meh, it really wasn't that good. The materials were great, but the instructor I had sucked imho. Lot of having people read questions out loud like a class full of kindergarten children and about 90% of the time it ended 30 minutes early.

If I could do it again I'd just force myself to self-study. I felt like a lot of time spent in that class would have been better spent studying by myself at the library.

I think that you had to really take the time and show up early or stay late if you wanted some more advanced instruction from Jason... it wasn't his fault that the class was completely non-responsive, blank stares, or a lot of questions. I think it was what you made of it. I came to class very clear on where my weaknesses were, and was able to get to Jason before or after to address them. He did not at all suck.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 pm

I used Kaplan (I know, make jokes here) in Gainesville. But honestly, I could not have picked better. Here's why:

*Cheaper than the others (with the coupons... just sign up when the coupons come out)
*Biggest benefit, regardless of teachers and hours in class, will be the resources a class provides, such as practice tests, online support systems, etc. Kaplan's SmartReports really was tremendously helpful. For a person who made his biggest improvements in the month after the class/before the test, this REALLY helped me identify trends, and select questions and areas easily to work on.
*Teacher was great. Ben in Gainesville was fantastic. However, Kaplans standards (Top 10%) as opposed to other Gainesville tutor services was relatively lax, so that's definitely a concern. If you are going to use Kaplan, make sure it's a teacher that has taught classes before or that you would be comfortable with...

Honestly, I went into the class awesome with LG and consistent -6 on RC and LR sections. By the week before the test, LR was usually -2 to -3 and RC had improved at least a little, with some administrations doing very well. I started around 160 and my final PT's right before June10 were in the 166-171 range (avg. around 169).

When it comes down to it, self study is always going to be the best "bang for your buck." But we don't all have time to track down every test, rate questions, find explanations easily, and study in a way that forces us to work over a semester rather than cramming. For 250, you can get all the materials and just take tests... but it's going to be more complicated and if you are not super disciplined, quit a hassle.

For 1200, you can take a Kaplan course, get 4 awesome books, have a steady-paced learning class, and most importantly, get awesome resources in terms of support and organization. Because really, when it comes down to improving, nothings as important as self study between the class and the test, and Kaplan definitely makes it easier to do that... if that extra 1000 dollars is worth it.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Sammi wrote:
CMDantes wrote:

I think that you had to really take the time and show up early or stay late if you wanted some more advanced instruction from Jason... it wasn't his fault that the class was completely non-responsive, blank stares, or a lot of questions. I think it was what you made of it. I came to class very clear on where my weaknesses were, and was able to get to Jason before or after to address them. He did not at all suck.

Didn't have Jason, and at the beginning of the course I did show up early to go over stuff with Josh but his generally want-to-get-done-with-you attitude did indeed suck so I stopped coming early. He seemed to treat people who wanted to get their 1500.00 bucks worth and were super into prepping for this test like annoying law school gunners.

I heard Nikki was fantastic though and sat in on a couple of her classes and liked it, so hopefully if you take scoreperfect in Austin you will get her.

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 pm

CMDantes wrote:Didn't have Jason, and at the beginning of the course I did show up early to go over stuff with Josh but his generally want-to-get-done-with-you attitude did indeed suck so I stopped coming early. He seemed to treat people who wanted to get their 1500.00 bucks worth and were super into prepping for this test like annoying law school gunners.

I heard Nikki was fantastic though and sat in on a couple of her classes and liked it, so hopefully if you take scoreperfect in Austin you will get her.

There was more than one powerscore class in Austin during the summer? That seems weird. But then again, my class was full at the beginning (although we ended with only 10 folks or so).

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Oh no I'm talking about scoreperfect, the testmasters of Texas, not powerscore.

My apologies! These LSAT prep companies all sound the same to me.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 pm

BP in SD was great, had a really chill instructor.
I don't see what the big deal with the games was, 2 linear, one weird, one grouping. Really liked one of the LRs and RC, although the other LR didn't feel THAT bad.

burtonrideclub

Postby burtonrideclub » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:48 am

Pithypike's study method. I had done test companies in the past, and they can be great depending on what your goals are. However, for those trying to break 170+ on test day, I feel it can be kind of waste of your time to be surrounded by students trying to get to 160. That's no knock against them, or the company, but you will spend alot of time focusing on things you already naturally "get", when you could be shoring up on your weaknesses.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 am

Is the powerscore building close to UT?

tartugas

Postby tartugas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:33 am

BP Online here. I thought it was great. I'm going to miss my daily Matt and Trey fixes. The materials were outstanding and the email feedback and support I received from bpcolin (who posts on here) really helped fill in any gaps for me. I moved from 161 to high 160's, and if I'd given myself a few more weeks (I started the course in March), I feel pretty confident I'd be even higher.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat, but I'm glad I don't have to.

kelsey89

Postby kelsey89 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 am

Ben at Kaplan in Gainesville was great!!!!
He is the reason I aced those logic games...

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 am

These are the first two overly positive reviews I've heard about Kaplan in Gainesville. Glad you both had good experiences.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 am

I will rave about studying yourself to save money if your diagnostic is fairly high! I seriously considered a tutor/prepcourse but ended up maxing out my potential without one. Probably saved atleast $500, which is awesome for me because I'm a chronic broke ass.

carboy67

Postby carboy67 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 am

TMT90 wrote:

Is the powerscore building close to UT?

Embassy Suites on south congrees passed town lake

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”