The Ortega Family Vacation

Where Should the Ortegas Go?

Country 1
19
48%
Country 2
21
53%
 
Total votes: 40

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Who had Ortegas for their writing sample? Where did you send them?

My family went to Country 2 which I named ClearSkyLandia because young Jose Ortega wants to be a foreign aid worker and his younger sister Suzy dreams of a career in astronomy.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Ragged » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

I wanted to keep the family away from potential civil unrest of country 2 and allow them to enjoy rich cultural heritage of country 1 all while being able to maneuver around the clouds in their own (rental) car.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Country 1... for reasons really not associated with eclipse viewing. :lol:

I used the final paragraph to brush off potential critics of my suggestion.

User avatar
justinmcl
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 am

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby justinmcl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

.
Last edited by justinmcl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June09Sucked
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby June09Sucked » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:25 pm

h
Last edited by June09Sucked on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:26 pm

Can we talk about this? :O

I agreed with Ragged, and said that C1 > C2 because civil unrest is NEVER good, and a guided tour could easily become a target for insurgents that want to make a point of some kind.

There is an inherent lack of possibility of eclipse viewing, anyway ,and the vacation won't a total and complete bust even if they don't see an eclipse in C1, whereas in C2, if that small chance of cloud cover came to pass, they'd be left with... driving around a country fraught with danger? No thanks.

C1 all the way.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Careful, pretty sure we're not supposed to talk details (even on the writing sample).

Edit: Also, pretty sure the writing sample is designed to have two options that are both about equal in terms of being a good answer. So, if you're posting to vindicate the choice you made, just realize that there is no "correct" answer, and it's 100% how you write on behalf of your pick.

User avatar
justinmcl
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 am

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby justinmcl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm

.
Last edited by justinmcl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 pm

I had no idea we're not allowed to discuss details.

:shock:

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:31 pm

This is just for fun. I don't think it could possibly matter. The writing sample isn't even scored.

That being said. The Ortegas should clearly have gone to C2. They have gumption! What could be more worthwhile than civil unrest?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:31 pm

kk19131 wrote:I had no idea we're not allowed to discuss details.

:shock:


I can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I had no idea we're not allowed to discuss details.

:shock:


I can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic.



I'm serious. I wasn't aware of this forum rule.

What's the purpose?

User avatar
justinmcl
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 am

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby justinmcl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 pm

.
Last edited by justinmcl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:34 pm

kk19131 wrote:I'm serious. I wasn't aware of this forum rule.

What's the purpose?


Because it is against LSAC's rules?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36019
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=119285

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=119285

YCrevolution wrote:Please be advised that discussion of any questions from the June 2010 LSAT with anything more than an extremely broad level of specificity will result in a temporary or permanent ban. This may include a ban on your IPs if necessary, which will block you from viewing the TLS forums.


...

Please note that this warning applies to the Reading Comprehension section as well as the writing sample.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Seems pretty convoluted to me.

I can't imagine how or why discussing aspects of questions is a "violation of copyright law", but so be it.

:mrgreen:

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 pm

I thought that civil unrest would enhance their experience. I wanted one of the Ortegas not to make it back.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 pm

kk19131 wrote:Seems pretty convoluted to me.

I can't imagine how or why discussing aspects of questions is a "violation of copyright law", but so be it.

:mrgreen:


Do you not recall your proctor stating that test takers are specifically prohibited from discussing the contents of the test until it is released by LSAC?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 pm

bk1 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Seems pretty convoluted to me.

I can't imagine how or why discussing aspects of questions is a "violation of copyright law", but so be it.

:mrgreen:


Do you not recall your proctor stating that test takers are specifically prohibited from discussing the contents of the test until it is released by LSAC?


Yes I am aware of that, but I'd like to see them sue me. Besides, the proctors work for the LSAC, and just because they tell me not to do something doesn't mean it's illegal if I do.

Again, since it's a forum rule I'll abide by it.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm

kk19131 wrote:Yes I am aware of that, but I'd like to see them sue me. Besides, the proctors work for the LSAC, and just because they tell me not to do something doesn't mean it's illegal if I do.

Again, since it's a forum rule I'll abide by it.


It's not illegal. But you did agree to abide by LSAC's rules and by breaking them they could, hypothetically, put a note in your file that screws over your chances for law school admissions.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:49 pm

kk19131 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Seems pretty convoluted to me.

I can't imagine how or why discussing aspects of questions is a "violation of copyright law", but so be it.

:mrgreen:


Do you not recall your proctor stating that test takers are specifically prohibited from discussing the contents of the test until it is released by LSAC?


Yes I am aware of that, but I'd like to see them sue me. Besides, the proctors work for the LSAC, and just because they tell me not to do something doesn't mean it's illegal if I do.

Again, since it's a forum rule I'll abide by it.


Yes, LSAC probably wouldn't sue you.

However, they completely control the test required by every reputable law school in the country for admissions, and have the power to cancel your score and place a note in your file that all law schools will see. So, I'd wait until at least 1L before you start swinging those brass balls talking about how LSAC can't touch you.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Seems pretty convoluted to me.

I can't imagine how or why discussing aspects of questions is a "violation of copyright law", but so be it.

:mrgreen:


Do you not recall your proctor stating that test takers are specifically prohibited from discussing the contents of the test until it is released by LSAC?


Yes I am aware of that, but I'd like to see them sue me. Besides, the proctors work for the LSAC, and just because they tell me not to do something doesn't mean it's illegal if I do.

Again, since it's a forum rule I'll abide by it.


Yes, LSAC probably wouldn't sue you.


However, they completely control the test required by every reputable law school in the country for admissions, and have the power to cancel your score and place a note in your file that all law schools will see. So, I'd wait until at least 1L before you start swinging those brass balls talking about how LSAC can't touch you.


Again, does LSAC have some subpoena power I'm not aware of?

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby CMDantes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Country 1 was obviously superior.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 pm

kk19131 wrote:Again, does LSAC have some subpoena power I'm not aware of?


The word "again" seems to imply that you are restating a point made earlier. However, your earlier point was about how LSAC can't tell you what to do. Your new point seems to be that you'll just never get caught. These points, while different, are equally stupid. If you're doing something that you only feel comfortable doing because you're sure nobody will ever find out you did it, you're probably doing something wrong, and the risk here definitely outweights the benefits (the only benefit seeming to be the meaningless vindication of your choice, despite the fact that your clear lack of an ability to make a coherent argument will make that writing sample an embarassment for you).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: The Ortega Family Vacation

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm

kk19131 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Seems pretty convoluted to me.

I can't imagine how or why discussing aspects of questions is a "violation of copyright law", but so be it.

:mrgreen:


Do you not recall your proctor stating that test takers are specifically prohibited from discussing the contents of the test until it is released by LSAC?


Yes I am aware of that, but I'd like to see them sue me. Besides, the proctors work for the LSAC, and just because they tell me not to do something doesn't mean it's illegal if I do.

Again, since it's a forum rule I'll abide by it.


Talking about test questions is a bad idea. Although you'll likely never get caught, it is possible.

It does seem like the mods are cracking down extra hard this year though.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse. and 3 guests