USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT

June09Sucked

Re: USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT

Postby June09Sucked » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:21 pm

nevermind, dumb to even ask
Last edited by June09Sucked on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
cmos wrote:PT Average: 171 (with -0/1 LG)
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 164 to 169 (depend on how well I did on RC, which I usually have no feeling after the test)
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT:
a. misinterpreted 1 LG rule, realized it very late, and had to guess the last four.
b. Guessed 1 LR, 4LR not sure.
c. RC usually -3 to 5 in PT.
d. feel panic/jittery overall

Targeting T14+UCLA+USC w/ merit aid.
(Background: 4.0 BSEE + MSEE + 4yr WE, interested in IP)

4.0 UG GPA in EE?? Cancel and shoot for HYS MIT, Stanford, UIUC PhD

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:30 pm

PT Average - 174 average for 28 PTs

Previous LSATs (including cancels) - June 2010 is first actual lsat

What you think you'll get on this LSAT - below 170

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc) - thought 2nd LG was experimental, didn't have time to fully check so it was half guess on some questions. Felt time pressure on last RC

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T14

And we will tell you to cancel or not.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 164 to 169 (depend on how well I did on RC, which I usually have no feeling after the test)
a. misinterpreted 1 LG rule, realized it very late, and had to guess the last four.

Graduate programs don't care about your GPA all that much.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:53 pm

czelede wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Graduate programs don't care about your GPA all that much.

EE PhD programs do.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Ship87 wrote:PT Average - 174 average for 28 PTs

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc) - thought 2nd LG was experimental, didn't have time to fully check so it was half guess on some questions. Felt time pressure on last RC

I'm not from BP don't cancel I think you can pull off a 170+ which should be enough for T14 unless you are a splitter.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Ragged wrote:
Ship87 wrote:PT Average - 174 average for 28 PTs

I'm not from BP don't cancel I think you can pull off a 170+ which should be enough for T14 unless you are a splitter.

Agreed. Feeling pressure and not having time to check are normal. Keep

cmos

Postby cmos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

um, another 5 years for PhD sounds a kind of long :) DF, I will be interested in your thought on this cancel/not cancel thing.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 pm

paratactical wrote:For the consideration of the board, a cautionary tale

My first diagnostic: 153
PT Average for all of study: 169
PT Average for the two months before the test (~8 tests): 172

Actual June 09 LSAT Score: 161

I thought I'd done really well and felt pretty confident. I was pretty sure I'd land in the high 160s. Even though I got a -1 on LG, something went wrong and I bombed and I didn't realize.

Just hope the same does not happen to you.

ftfm

Wow para we're similar. Maybe you'll kill LS ;)

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm

PT Average: 163
High: 169
Lowest in preceding month and a half: 159
Previous LSATs: None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: I have no idea but the number 156 is taunting me. Granted, cold diagnostic was 151 so I hope I improved more than five points.
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): I just did not feel confident. At all. I felt very pressed and barely finished all sections in time. I'm just very nervous. I'm dreading the worst. my answers were pretty much not predicted. They were predominantly looking at answer choices and eliminating/looking for the best. Makes me nervous.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: While I would love some better schools, realistically [and even maybe not if I hit a 156] I'm thinking Florida, Florida State, Alabama, UGA, Miami. Those guys. Would love any of them.

3.75 gpa, 3.98 from degree granting. softs are numerous and diverse with my big one being a D1 All-American Rower.
Last edited by alicrimson on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

cmos wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

um, another 5 years for PhD sounds a kind of long :) DF, I will be interested in your thought on this cancel/not cancel thing.

I'd keep. You could hit a 170 if you are lucky. Maybe hit two of your guesses, and a good RC, with a generous curve and you could be 172. I doubt schools will think 168, 171 is worse that cancel 171. Schools know what a cancel means.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:47 pm

PT Average: 175 (I took 13 practice tests, including my cold diagnostic which was a 165. I had a couple of 180's, a couple 179's, a 177, a 169, and the rest were 175)

Previous LSATs (including cancels): None.

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: No clue (I would guess below 170 and probably below 165).

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Panicked in the first half and didn't get to the last two questions in my first two logical reasoning sections (one of which was experimental). Usually finish logical reasoning with more than 5 minutes to spare. Had way more toss-up questions than I usually do; felt very unsure and had to read each question several times. Caught myself misbubbling twice and am afraid I failed to catch another misbubble. Guessed blindly on the now-infamous interns game (but games have always been my weakness). The second half of the test was better, but I felt shaky on a couple of reading comprehension questions (reading comp is normally my jam).

My abusive father was harassing me during the weekend leading up to the exam, so I was in a pretty bad headspace. Add exam nerves to that...

On the other hand, I have low self-esteem and always feel shitty about how I did on exams. I felt confident after exactly one of my PTs, and it was not my best score. But I KNEW I had done badly when I got my 169, and this feels more like that.

Another extenuating factor is that I get migraines and stress is one of my triggers, so a cancel now might put extra pressure on me for October, which might mean a migraine on test day, which would mean two cancels and a late application (or not applying this year at all). And then I would be going into my THIRD LSAT without knowing how I actually perform on game day.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: I have a crush on a T6 school, but I'm not super attached to it. T14 would also be sweet. That said, I would be happy with a T-20ish, especially with money.
Last edited by dominkay on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PetitBonaparte

Postby PetitBonaparte » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm

PT Average: high 160s - low 170s

Previous LSATs (including cancels): 156 (Feb 2008), cancel (Sept 2009), 159 (Dec 2009)

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: low-mid 160s

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: I bombed the last two games by misinterpreting the rules on the third and fourth games and running out of time. I think I guessed on at least 8 of the 11 remaining questions. I feel pretty confident about LR and RC though, but I'm not so confident that I would say I missed absolutely none.

Target: T14 or Top 30

This is my fourth time taking, and I don't even think I'll be able to take another one (2-year rule) unless a law school excuses me. I was really hoping for a 169+ and hoping for Michigan, Cornell or GULC. I have a 3.5 GPA.

UGH. Please advise.
Last edited by PetitBonaparte on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:59 pm

dominkay wrote:PT Average: 175 (I took 13 practice tests, including my cold diagnostic which was a 165. I had a couple of 180's, a couple 179's, a 177, a 169, and the rest were 175)

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: No clue (I would guess below 170 and probably below 165).

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Panicked in the first half and didn't get to the last two questions in my first two logical reasoning sections (one of which was experimental). Usually finish logical reasoning with more than 5 minutes to spare. Had way more toss-up questions than I usually do; felt very unsure and had to read each question several times. Caught myself misbubbling twice and am afraid I failed to catch another misbubble. Guessed blindly on the now-infamous interns game. The second half of the test was better, but I felt shaky on a couple of reading comprehension questions (reading comp is normally my jam).

My abusive father was harassing me during the weekend leading up to the exam, so I was in a pretty bad headspace. Add exam nerves to that...

On the other hand, I have low self-esteem and always feel shitty about how I did on exams. I felt confident after exactly one of my PTs, and it was not my best score. But I KNEW I had done badly when I got my 169, and this feels more like that.

Another extenuating factor is that I get migraines and stress is one of my triggers, so a cancel now might put extra pressure on me for October, which might mean a migraine on test day, which would mean two cancels and a late application (or not applying this year at all). And then I would be going into my THIRD LSAT without knowing how I actually perform on game day.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: I have a crush on a T6 school, but I'm not super attached to it. T14 would also be sweet. That said, I would be happy with a T-20ish, especially with money.

Hate to derail and be a dick but with all that crap plaguing you, how do you plan to succeed on law school exams?

For what my lowly opinion is worth, I say don't cancel. It seems like the moment you left the test room you started doubting yourself and thinking of excuses. I say keep this score. If you don't like it you'll at least know that you definitely have to cancel if you feel this way next time.

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

SarahBeth

Postby SarahBeth » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:16 pm

PT Average - 170

Previous LSATs (including cancels) - None

What you think you'll get on this LSAT - Below 170. My issue is, I've felt cocky about some 167's and poor about some 174's so I have no idea!

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc) - misbubbled at one point, but I caught it. I'm fairly good with not misbubbling but I skip around in the RC and LG sections because I'm bad at timing. I'd rather guess on 5 than on 7. I had to guess on the mulch game (5). I spent too much time on the RC so I had to make an educated guess on 2 and a blind guess on 3. Problem is, I've managed to get high 160's with missing half of my LGs.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: Top 30

Also, have a 3.87 LSDAS GPA for Philosophy Politics and Economics.
I'm planning on retaking, but I'm not sure if I should cancel too.

RonandRand2012

Postby RonandRand2012 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 pm

PT Average: 172.5

Previous LSATs: None

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 165-170 -- PT average is dependent on -0 LG

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Got destroyed by the fourth game in LG (guessed on three), then let it hurt my confidence on the second LR section. My brain was off after the break, I barely remember the fourth and fifth sections.

GPA: 3.99

Aiming for: T10

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 pm

CMDantes wrote:
dominkay wrote:PT Average: 175 (I took 13 practice tests, including my cold diagnostic which was a 165. I had a couple of 180's, a couple 179's, a 177, a 169, and the rest were 175)

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Panicked in the first half and didn't get to the last two questions in my first two logical reasoning sections (one of which was experimental). Usually finish logical reasoning with more than 5 minutes to spare. Had way more toss-up questions than I usually do; felt very unsure and had to read each question several times. Caught myself misbubbling twice and am afraid I failed to catch another misbubble. Guessed blindly on the now-infamous interns game. The second half of the test was better, but I felt shaky on a couple of reading comprehension questions (reading comp is normally my jam).

Hate to derail and be a dick but with all that crap plaguing you, how do you plan to succeed on law school exams?

For what my lowly opinion is worth, I say don't cancel. It seems like the moment you left the test room you started doubting yourself and thinking of excuses. I say keep this score. If you don't like it you'll at least know that you definitely have to cancel if you feel this way next time.

It's cool. I knew that posting my whole life story on TLS might inspire some dickish responses. ;)

To answer your question:

My boyfriend is normally the one who deals with my father, but he was out of town (visiting family). I hope to go to law school in a different state than the one in which I currently reside, and my father won't get the forwarding address.

My migraines are unpredictable but rare (I only get a couple per year), and my meds work well enough that I can function (just not well enough to sit through a four hour exam which will determine the outcome of the rest of my life).

I'm pretty successful, just really neurotic. I probably won't cancel. I just wanted the internet to validate my decision.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 pm

PT Average: 163-173 (I generally scored 164-166 most frequently)
Previous LSATs (including cancels): 152 (September 2009 - was NOT prepared and I should have canceled but did not)
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 159-161 (if lucky)
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): I think I did bad because LG (normally my best section) threw me off. I did game four first thinking it would be easier than game 3, but then quickly realized I missed a rule and did game 3 instead. But it took me too much time to get a key deduction for game 3. So by the time I figured out the third game I had very limited time for game 4 and I guessed on 3 questions at the end.

Also RC - I had to guess on a few as I was running out of time, and I didn't pace myself well on this section (I forgot to start my analog watch). LR, I thought, went better than usual - odd because that section normally gives me the most trouble.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: Anywhere in the T30s. I have a 3.843 GPA (but I think it will be more like 3.9 on LSAC scale due to the high number of A+'s I received). Tons of work experience.

Dream schools: Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Harvard, NYU. Would be okay with: Notre Dame, Hastings, Boston University.

Should I cancel? I've been thinking that I should.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm

paratactical wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
paratactical wrote:For the consideration of the board, a cautionary tale

My first diagnostic: 153
PT Average for all of study: 169
PT Average for the two months before the test (~8 tests): 172

Actual June 09 LSAT Score: 161

I thought I'd done really well and felt pretty confident. I was pretty sure I'd land in the high 160s. Even though I got a -1 on LG, something went wrong and I bombed and I didn't realize.

Just hope the same does not happen to you.

ftfm

Wow para we're similar. Maybe you'll kill LS ;)

Ha ha. It looks like I might skip LS. I'm killing the biglaw paralegal gig and I don't have to go into debt or be personally responsible for everything.

Damn you :evil:

Just kidding, so happee for you :mrgreen:

PetitBonaparte

Postby PetitBonaparte » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 pm

PetitBonaparte wrote:PT Average: high 160s - low 170s

Previous LSATs (including cancels): 156 (Feb 2008), cancel (Sept 2009), 159 (Dec 2009)

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: low-mid 160s

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: I bombed the last two games by misinterpreting the rules on the third and fourth games and running out of time. I think I guessed on at least 8 of the 11 remaining questions. I feel pretty confident about LR and RC though, but I'm not so confident that I would say I missed absolutely none.

Target: T14 or Top 30

This is my fourth time taking, and I don't even think I'll be able to take another one (2-year rule) unless a law school excuses me. I was really hoping for a 169+ and hoping for Michigan, Cornell or GULC. I have a 3.5 GPA.

UGH. Please advise.

Please help!

witty username

Postby witty username » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 pm

witty username wrote:PT Average -----high 160s'-low 170s
Previous LSATs (including cancels) -----one cancel from dec 2009
What you think you'll get on this LSAT----- 150s....
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc -----Had LG for section 2 and was completely screwed by the last two games. This basically ruined my concentration/hope/confidence for the rest of the test.

My gpa is 3.7 and my dream law schools are USC or UCLA. I'm retaking in October, but I'm wondering which looks better:

-two cancels and high score

-one cancel, low score, and high score

any takers? please?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Wow, this is actually a great thread. Beats the hell out of seeing half the front page littered with separate cancellation threads. BP given back to the community! Y'all rock.

Another LSAT tale to counter some of the cautionary ones (for my 3rd take):

-PT average was ~170
-Did alright in games, ended up guessing on 2 and rushing through 1 other question (which was about right since I was averaging around -2 in LG).
-Thought RC destroyed me (and discovered a newly found hatred of Willa Cather)
-Predicted between a 167-169
-Drank for the next two days straight since I took this for waitlist purposes and the possibility of holding off a year. I came to terms with ending up at a T30 instead of having a shot at a T14 (and Texas).
-Ended up with a 174

Lesson I learned? Even though I actually had been decently accurate in the past in predicting my scores on practice tests and previously taken LSATs, there really is no way of knowing. I ended up missing no questions on the passage I thought I had bombed since all my uncertain answers turned out to be right. Being a pessimist can be good when it comes to lowered expectations, but being a pessimist can be disastrous if it leads to an unwise cancellation. Base decisions on canceling on whether you screwed up a rule on a game or encountered atypical pacing issues, not on gut feelings.

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 pm

163-165 average in PTs
was my first LSAT

i think i got anywhere from 155 to 160 on this one....First two sections went very well, 3rd section LG was pretty killer. don't think i got a single one on that last game and guessed a lot on the 3rd...not sure bout 4th section LR, and felt decently well about 5th section RC.

My goals are to get in to a top 20-50 school....

cancel? no cancel? taking october either way...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”