USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT

emoney8907

Re: USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT

Postby emoney8907 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:49 am

REPOSTING since i got no reply

PT Average: mid-160s, range 160-170
Previous LSATs (including cancels): none
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: mid-160s
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): time issues, ran out of time on almost every section, though it probably only affected one question for each of the LR and LG sections. RC was an issue because i had to guess on almost all the questions for the last passage.

Targeting any T-14 law school.
Undergrad GPA of 3.9 at a non-ivy top-25 national university.

cancel or not? input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

cmutone

Postby cmutone » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 am

pt average this time around - mid 160s
sept 09 - 157 (not prepared enough)

where i shit the bed - panicked 100 percent on the games, was lost in the woods on the last two. -10 on this section easily, poss more

feel very strongly about the rest of the test tho, I dont think i dropped more than a few per

I'm thinking worst case I gained a pt or two over my first test (~160), and best case some of the guesses in the games hit, the curve is generous due to the games, and i'm in the mid 160s.

URM, on w/l to BC, I would've liked to go to a t14 so i'll prob take for a 3rd time in oct/dec.

I'm thinking theres no pt in canceling if i'm going to take it again, anyone else agree?

IBThatGuy

Re: USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAThttp://www

Postby IBThatGuy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:52 am

PT avg: 164.5 in last few weeks, leaning 165.
Prev. LSAT: No-show last December
Prediction: 157-161
Target schools: Most schools I'm interested in are ranked 20-40
Reason: I don't think I normally blind-guess on more than 8-10 per whole test. This time, I no longer remember exactly how many I guessed, but I'm 95% sure it was between 16 and 22.

Now, if I performed fairly well, but not great, on the ones I attempted (say, -8 of the 84 attempted), I've got 76 right. If I miss 80% of the guesses, that's 3 right and 13 wrong. That gives me a -21, which I would expect to translate to a 163, making that the very highest score I could possibly expect, based on the statistical likelihood of getting guesses.

However, a) I felt pretty bad about one of the LR sections, the AR, and the scored RC, and b) I probably guessed on 18-20. If I missed at least one more on each of those three sections and guessed on 19 questions, I'm down to 70/81 of attempted questions. Getting 20% of the guesses gives me 4 more right if I'm on the slightly lucky side. A raw score of 74 with a -11 curve gives me 160. I also realized, after they called time for the writing sample, that I had at least three goofs (two typos and an omitted word, making a technically incorrect sentence).

I know a lot of schools claim to take high scores, but, even among those that claim that, quite a few explicitly encourage adenda for explaining a low score or giving them reason to take the high score. That translates to, "We report the highest, but we really look at all scores." I'm a few years detached from undergrad, but that GPA will be ~3.3.

I definitely think I can perform better in October. If I can pick up a little speed on the RC and AR, I should be able to guess on 5-8 for the whole test.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am

emoney8907 wrote:REPOSTING since i got no reply

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): time issues, ran out of time on almost every section, though it probably only affected one question for each of the LR and LG sections. RC was an issue because i had to guess on almost all the questions for the last passage.

thanks.

That sounds like in your PT average sweet spot. You'd be nutz to cancel.

If you mean mid 150's, cancel.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 pm

cmutone wrote:pt average this time around - mid 160s
sept 09 - 157 (not prepared enough)

where i shit the bed - panicked 100 percent on the games, was lost in the woods on the last two. -10 on this section easily, poss more

feel very strongly about the rest of the test tho, I dont think i dropped more than a few per

I'm thinking worst case I gained a pt or two over my first test (~160), and best case some of the guesses in the games hit, the curve is generous due to the games, and i'm in the mid 160s.

URM, on w/l to BC, I would've liked to go to a t14 so i'll prob take for a 3rd time in oct/dec.

I'm thinking theres no pt in canceling if i'm going to take it again, anyone else agree?

Espec if you think you did better than Sept. Because canceling a 160, would be horrible if you choke next test as well.

curly fries

Postby curly fries » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:27 pm

PT Average: 169-174, entirely dependent on RC
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 160
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc: I ran out of time on nearly all sections. RC: blind guessed on 4, educated guessed on 2. LG: typically finish with time to review and get 0-2 wrong, and I ran out of time for the last game and guessed on 4 questions. LR: typically get 3-4 wrong, but I think I might have missed some more on the real thing.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T3, T6, T13, T1, T2, TTT, TTTT: T13

Just waiting for confirmation that I should cancel. Thanks!

And we will tell you to cancel or not.
Last edited by curly fries on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 pm

PT Average: 166
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 163
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: LGs, kinda rushed through LR.

Top 25-30.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm

emoney8907 wrote:REPOSTING since i got no reply

thanks.

Don't cancel. Your prediction is in line with your practice scores.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 pm

PT Average: 175ish
Previous LSATs (including cancels): Dec 09 164
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Not sure, but I completely guessed on 1 LR (which I have never done in any of the practice exams) and had to make educated guess on 3 more (which I usually dont have to do either). But also I did get through the games and thought RC (usually my worst section) was okay. If I had to guess, I would say h igh 160s, low 170s

And also which level of schools you are targeting: The higher the better, but with the 164 already on my record, Ive talked myself out of HYS. Hoping for T10 or T15 (maybe GULC, UCLA, USC, Michigan, Berkeley)

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Condensed version of previous:
PT avg: 164.5 in last few weeks, leaning 165.
Prev. LSAT: No-show last December
Prediction: 157-161
Target schools: Most schools I'm interested in are ranked 20-40
Reason: I don't think I normally blind-guess on more than 8-10 per whole test. This time, I no longer remember exactly how many I guessed, but it was between 16 and 22. Undergraduate GPA ~3.3.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 pm

trudat15 wrote:PT Average: 175ish
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Not sure, but I completely guessed on 1 LR (which I have never done in any of the practice exams) and had to make educated guess on 3 more (which I usually dont have to do either). But also I did get through the games and thought RC (usually my worst section) was okay. If I had to guess, I would say h igh 160s, low 170s

And also which level of schools you are targeting: The higher the better, but with the 164 already on my record, Ive talked myself out of HYS. Hoping for T10 or T15 (maybe GULC, UCLA, USC, Michigan, Berkeley)

High 160s low 170s is definitely in reach. I wouldn't cancel. Depending on your GPA, you would have a good shot at lower T14 plus Texas, Vandy, UCLA, etc.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to cancel, but I'll see what you say anyway.

Shooting for T10-T30. GPA: 3.4

PT Average = 168-172
Previous LSATs (including cancels) = 161 (didn't take it seriously first time around)
What you think you'll get on this LSAT = 165-168 maybe? Dunno.
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT =

LG #4 had me guessing on roughly 3-4 of the questions. I had enough time when I got to it, but I couldn't crack it and couldn't make a good setup. I managed to eliminate a few answers on each of my "guesses." So they were slightly educated guesses. Other LG was good.

RC #4 murdered me. I finished it and think I probably did ok on it, but I couldn't tell you what I actually read. I read it once quickly, realized I wouldn't get it, then went on the the questions and researched each one. Thankfully there was no MP one. I might have done ok or I might have missed something major.

LR - All 3 sections I thought I did well on. Then again, I always think I do well on LR. There is no correlation between how well I think I do and how well I actually do.

My opinion: It's not possibly for it to be below a 161. I don't think it is possible for it to be below a 165. But I'm quite doubtful it will be a 170+, which is what I was really shooting for. I did about 30 PT's to study this time around. I literally don't have much left to do if I retake other than to roll the dice and hope my LG section doesn't blow.

Thanks!
Last edited by shock259 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:PT Average: 166
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 163
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: LGs, kinda rushed through LR.

Top 25-30.

No way should you cancel. You are having doubts, not nearly enough.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:50 pm

curly fries wrote:PT Average: 169-174, entirely dependent on RC
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 160
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc: I ran out of time on nearly all sections. RC: blind guessed on 4, educated guessed on 2. LG: typically finish with time to review and get 0-2 wrong, and I ran out of time for the last game and guessed on 4 questions. LR: typically get 3-4 wrong, but I think I might have missed some more on the real thing.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T3, T6, T13, T1, T2, TTT, TTTT: T13

Just waiting for confirmation that I should cancel. Thanks!

And we will tell you to cancel or not.

Cancel.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 pm

You gotta keep it. You don't have any real reason to believe you tanked, and since you already have a 164, you need to get your score up. Who know what happens on your next retake. And you still might bet 170s.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 pm

shock259 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm not going to cancel, but I'll see what you say anyway.

Shooting for T10-T30. GPA: 3.4

PT Average = 168-172
Previous LSATs (including cancels) = 161 (didn't take it seriously first time around)
What you think you'll get on this LSAT = 165-168 maybe? Dunno.
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT =

LG #4 had me guessing on roughly 3-4 of the questions. I had enough time when I got to it, but I couldn't crack it and couldn't make a good setup. I managed to eliminate a few answers on each of my "guesses." So they were slightly educated guesses. Other LG was good.

RC #4 murdered me. I finished it and think I probably did ok on it, but I couldn't tell you what I actually read. I read it once quickly, realized I wouldn't get it, then went on the the questions and researched each one. Thankfully there was no MP one. I might have done ok or I might have missed something major.

LR - All 3 sections I thought I did well on. Then again, I always think I do well on LR. There is no correlation between how well I think I do and how well I actually do.

My opinion: It's not possibly for it to be below a 161. I don't think it is possible for it to be below a 165. But I'm quite doubtful it will be a 170+, which is what I was really shooting for. I did about 30 PT's to study this time around. I literally don't have much left to do if I retake other than to roll the dice and hope my LG section doesn't blow.

Thanks!

T10-30 is a wide swathe of schools. Where particularly do you want to go.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Ideally, UVA. I'd go to GTown, Cornell, the Bostons, GW, Fordham, or U Wash too, though.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

You gotta keep it. You don't have any real reason to believe you tanked, and since you already have a 164, you need to get your score up. Who know what happens on your next retake. And you still might bet 170s.

Fwiw, trudat, I considered cancelling because of 1 LR and 1 RC that really bugged me, when normally questions don't stand out to me like that. They ended up being 2 out of the 3 that I missed total, so it's not necessarily a bad sign if you can think of specific problematic questions.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm

shock259 wrote:Ideally, UVA. I'd go to GTown, Cornell, the Bostons, GW, Fordham, or U Wash too, though.

170 would give you an ED shot at UVA and GULC. The Bostons, GW, Fordham, and Woostle are in reach with a high 160s score. I wouldn't cancel and put all the pressure on a third retake.

TexasWave

Postby TexasWave » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
TexasWave wrote:Registered just to post here for this thread

PT Average: 175
Previous LSATs: 169
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 167-174
Undergraduate GPA: 3.833
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc):

I score very consistently mid-170s on all PTs since many months, including in timed prep course exams, and including before the february one. Both in February and in June 2010 I had the exact same issue: experimental logic games section is first thing I see, real logic games is section #3, and my training goes out the window and doing all the LGs before the reading and arguments kills me and I fail to get to/through the 4th game on the real LG section, and am forced to bubble.

I bubbled D on all the 6 Interns questions (last LG section), and felt like I did very strongly on the other 3 games and the LR and Arguments sections (though I might have missed 1-2 on the Aussie Law or the Beaver Oil Sprill and such). I am guessing between -0 and -3 per section. On a good PT I am at like -2 or -1 for everything other than the LG, on a bad test I am at like -5 or -6 on everything but the LG.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T14, with special eye on a good scholarship to the University of Texas

I am also about to leave to go do a 2-year master's degree, which I might get a full ride or half ride for on a fellowship. I have strong softs on my resume already.

If I ever get an LSAT with LGs like I'm used to, or at least one I can finish and make educated guesses on all the LG sections, I can get a 175 or so for sure...I don't care how hard they make the LR or Arguments. I am considering canceling this score and going for try #3 in October...which would mean in the middle of my first semester of my master's program.

I am ALSO considering not cancelling this and just going for try #3 in October anyway. To prepare for this June LSAT I did a bunch of games and PTs and LG sections, and went through the Powerscore LG Bible....didn't seem to help my ability to spot inferences or my speed on a test with 2 non-standard games in the LG section!

I am going insane trying to figure out if I should cancel. Any advice would be appreciated. Help!

Did you complete any of the 4th LG?

No- I got to the 4th with 5-6 minutes left, and in between the weird rules, tough questions, and me maybe mis-diagramming one rule and then fixing how I represented it slightly, I basically guessed D on all of the last 6; I think I guessed C on one of them for some reason so I guess I made a quasi-educated guess on one of them.

SouthernMagnolia

Postby SouthernMagnolia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

PT Average: 158
Previous LSATs (including cancels): none (first time taking it)
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: I was always horrible at guessing my scores for the practice tests, but I'll say somewhere around a 153-156
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Didn't have time to finish LG or RC (guessed blindly for the 3rd game and the 3rd RC). Don't feel very confident about my RC section in general.
Level of schools you are targeting: Not shooting for the stars here. LSU is my top choice (gotta love that bi-jural degree), hopefully with a decent scholarship. Also applying to University of Houston, maybe University of Georgia and/or Tulane. Was planning for Loyola-New Orleans to be my safety.

My performance Monday was far from my best. Even though I'm not applying anywhere major, I'm still debating whether I should cancel my score. Thoughts?

SouthernMagnolia

Postby SouthernMagnolia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Forgot to mention that my GPA is a 3.92. Majoring in Public Relations with minors in Business Administration and German.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 pm

TexasWave wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Did you complete any of the 4th LG?

No- I got to the 4th with 5-6 minutes left, and in between the weird rules, tough questions, and me maybe mis-diagramming one rule and then fixing how I represented it slightly, I basically guessed D on all of the last 6; I think I guessed C on one of them for some reason so I guess I made a quasi-educated guess on one of them.

How do you normally score on LG in your PTs?

June09Sucked

Postby June09Sucked » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Last edited by June09Sucked on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmorel02

Postby mmorel02 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:47 pm

PT avg: Mid 160's (164-167)
Prev. LSAT: None
Prediction: Hard to say, could be anywhere from mid 150's to my prep test average
Target schools: Mostly top 30
Reason: I totally messed up the games section, which is unusual because on my prep tests Im usually missing no more than 3. On this section I just froze on the first game, and that carried over to the others. I think I got the second and third ones, but had to guess on a lot of the first and fourth games. I think I did fine on all the other sections, but reading comp is always a wild card for me, so not sure. I'm leaning towards keeping it, but just wanted to see if others thought that was the right decision. I have a 3.9 GPA with a double major.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”