USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jarofsoup

Gold

Re: USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

PT Average 166 (best score 171)
Previous LSAT scores: 145, 154 cancel ( I was having medical issues which resulted in surgery...fun...but its all better now)
I have no idea what I will get.

Didnt sleep well the night before(about 4 hours) but I have scored well on practice tests on zero sleep.

I messed up the mulch game. Kinda panicked a little bit on the first section of LR. It was super easy and I was at like number 17 in under 20 minutes so I started to doubt whether or not my clock was working accurately. May have missed a couple Qs because of this.

I think I aced the reading comp, and last LR. Games, Games usually my strength but mulch game messed me up and I am unsure about the last game.... I guessed on at least 1.

I dont think I am going to cancel. I wouldnt be able to retake until Dec 2010. Just wanted to get your opinion.

I am interested in UC Hastings...UC Davis...GWU...Fordham and all T2(especially Santa Clara). Pretty much anything outside the top 14 but inside the top 100 in which I could get a Job in the bay area.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Ragged wrote:PT Average: mid 170s. Got a 177 on the only new test I had available - Dec 2009. Did the whole test 33 minutes per section. Obviously felt great and confident coming into the test.

Previous LSATs (including cancels) 170

What you think you'll get on this LSAT 168-172 depending on how lucky I was on guesses and curve.

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc) Blanked out on one LG - forced to guess on all the questions (6), also had to guess on one more in the second game. Everything else seems to have gone really well. Finished LR with time to spare, finished RC on time but head to guess on one. So total guesses - 8. and still a chance that I missed more questions somewhere else.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T3, T6, T13, T1, T2, TTT, TTTT - T3
Keep it. The benefit of getting a 172 far outweighs the negatives of getting 168.

Wooderson

New

Post by Wooderson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

PT Average: 162-165

Previous LSAT: none

What to expect: 155-156

Why do you think you did bad: only had 4 hours of sleep (ran on adrenaline mostly)... messed up on the first LG but didn't struggle too bad with 2,3 and 4... Finished LR sections uncharacteristically fast but "felt" accurate... 5 minutes was called right as I was finishing up the 4th passage so I freaked out, couldn't retain the intricacies of contingency fees, and made somewhat educated guesses.

Schools you are targeting lower T1's... upper T2's (w/ some $)

I have a history of underestimating myself... so I could come out of this perfectly fine.

3.8 From Degree granting... roughly 3.6 cumulatively

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

jarofsoup wrote:PT Average 166 (best score 171)
Previous LSAT scores: 145, 154 cancel ( I was having medical issues which resulted in surgery...fun...but its all better now)
I have no idea what I will get.

Didnt sleep well the night before(about 4 hours) but I have scored well on practice tests on zero sleep.

I messed up the mulch game. Kinda panicked a little bit on the first section of LR. It was super easy and I was at like number 17 in under 20 minutes so I started to doubt whether or not my clock was working accurately. May have missed a couple Qs because of this.

I think I aced the reading comp, and last LR. Games, Games usually my strength but mulch game messed me up and I am unsure about the last game.... I guessed on at least 1.

I dont think I am going to cancel. I wouldnt be able to retake until Dec 2010. Just wanted to get your opinion.

I am interested in UC Hastings...UC Davis...GWU...Fordham and all T2(especially Santa Clara). Pretty much anything outside the top 14 but inside the top 100 in which I could get a Job in the bay area.
With a 145 on your record there is no possible reason to cancel.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Wooderson wrote:PT Average: 162-165

Why do you think you did bad: only had 4 hours of sleep (ran on adrenaline mostly)... messed up LG 1 but didn't struggle too bad with the rest... Finished LR sections uncharacteristically fast but "felt" accurate... 5 minutes was called right as I was finishing up the 4th passage so I freaked out, couldn't retain the intricacies of contingency fees, and made somewhat educated guesses.

I have a history of underestimating myself... so I could come out of this perfectly fine.

Don't Cancel, your target schools won't penalize you for a mid 150's score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Wooderson wrote:PT Average: 162-165

Why do you think you did bad: only had 4 hours of sleep (ran on adrenaline mostly)... messed up on the first LG but didn't struggle too bad with 2,3 and 4... Finished LR sections uncharacteristically fast but "felt" accurate... 5 minutes was called right as I was finishing up the 4th passage so I freaked out, couldn't retain the intricacies of contingency fees, and made somewhat educated guesses.

Are you kidding me? Keep it.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Curious what people have to say about me:

PT Average: 171
Diagnostic: I never took one cold. If I had to guess, it was in the 140's.
Previous LSAT's (including cancels): None
Prediction of June 2010 LSAT: 160-162
Why it went badly: panicked on the LG section. Filled in a row of E's for, I think, seven problems on LG. I'm not at all confident for the LG problems I did answer, because I couldn't focus. I feel good about LR and RC.
Target schools: Range of T-14 schools. Have a 3.85 GPA (top 10% of class) from a top 10 undergraduate program.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vicuna wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
vicuna wrote:PT Average: 172
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None.
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 165-169
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Had to blindly guess on five questions.
Which level of schools you are targeting: T6, preferably.
Do you ever blind guess on PTs?
No.
If I were you I'd cancel.
But 2 cancels is going to look pretty bad. A low score > 2nd cancel in two tries??

cmos

New

Post by cmos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

PT Average: 171 (with -0/1 LG)
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 164 to 169 (depend on how well I did on RC, which I usually have no feeling after the test)
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT:
a. misinterpreted 1 LG rule, realized it very late, and had to guess the last four.
b. Guessed 1 LR, 4LR not sure.
c. RC usually -3 to 5 in PT.
d. feel panic/jittery overall

Targeting T14+UCLA+USC w/ merit aid.
(Background: 4.0 BSEE + MSEE + 4yr WE, interested in IP)
Last edited by cmos on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Moxie wrote:But 2 cancels is going to look pretty bad. A low score > 2nd cancel in two tries??
I hadn't taken the test before yesterday.

Marino13

New

Post by Marino13 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

PT Average: Low 160s
Previous LSATs: NONE
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: No clue.. anywhere from 158 to 163, depending if the games I completed I got them 100% right.
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Bombed the games section -- Guessed on 5 questions and know I missed 2 more, so you figure 7 wrong there. My problem is that, my best practice score was a 163 a few times, done always w/ -1, -2, -3 on LG. So, I dont have that score to hold me up this time. However, I thought the LR and RC (I'm usually around 20 on both) were very easy, so I could have done better on those; but no way of knowing.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: Top 30 schools.

Thanks!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:18 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Curious what people have to say about me:

PT Average: 171
Diagnostic: I never took one cold. If I had to guess, it was in the 140's.
Previous LSAT's (including cancels): None
Prediction of June 2010 LSAT: 160-162
Why it went badly: panicked on the LG section. Filled in a row of E's for, I think, seven problems on LG. I'm not at all confident for the LG problems I did answer, because I couldn't focus. I feel good about LR and RC.
Target schools: Range of T-14 schools. Have a 3.85 GPA (top 10% of class) from a top 10 undergraduate program.

Cancel

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Marino13 wrote:PT Average: Low 160s
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: No clue.. anywhere from 158 to 163, depending if the games I completed I got them 100% right.
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Bombed the games section -- Guessed on 5 questions and know I missed 2 more, so you figure 7 wrong there. My problem is that, my best practice score was a 163 a few times, done always w/ -1, -2, -3 on LG. So, I dont have that score to hold me up this time. However, I thought the LR and RC (I'm usually around 20 on both) were very easy, so I could have done better on those; but no way of knowing.

Thanks!
No reason to cancel, but you aren't get T30 unless you have an very good UG GPA or are URM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vicuna wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
vicuna wrote:PT Average: 172
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None.
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 165-169
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Had to blindly guess on five questions.
Which level of schools you are targeting: T6, preferably.
Do you ever blind guess on PTs?
No.
If I were you I'd cancel.
What if I was satisfied with going to, say, Georgetown?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:21 pm

cmos wrote:PT Average: 171 (with -0/1 LG)
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 164 to 169 (depend on how well I did on RC, which I usually have no feeling after the test)
a. misinterpreted 1 LG rule, realized it very late, and had to guess the last four.

4.0 UG GPA in EE?? Cancel and shoot for HYS

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:23 pm

vicuna wrote:
What if I was satisfied with going to, say, Georgetown?

Retakes don't hurt you at Georgetown, but you aren't getting in if you're under 170 unless your URM or over 3.8 GPA.

Marino13

New

Post by Marino13 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:23 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Marino13 wrote:PT Average: Low 160s

Thanks!
No reason to cancel, but you aren't get T30 unless you have an very good UG GPA or are URM.

My GPA was 3.4 and I'm a white male, so definitely no minority.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cmos

New

Post by cmos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:25 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, H2Oman.
Well, I am kind of the debt-averse person, and I don't think HYS will give need-base money to a working engineer.

emoney8907

New

Post by emoney8907 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 pm

PT Average: mid-160s, range 160-170
Previous LSATs (including cancels): none
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: mid-160s
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): time issues, ran out of time on almost every section, though it probably only affected one question for each of the LR and LG sections. RC was an issue because i had to guess on almost all the questions for the last passage.

Targeting any T-14 law school.
Undergrad GPA of 3.9 at a non-ivy top-25 national university.

cancel or not? input would be greatly appreciated.

randomperson

New

Post by randomperson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

PT Average: 169-173
No previous LSATs
I think could get anywhere from a 160-168, but probably a 164-166
I'm targeting top 14/15-30 schools (BC, Vandy, Emory, Cornell, etc), with Michigan and Vanderbilt being my 1 and 2 choices

I think I did poorly because my nerves got to me on the LG.

I should also note I have above average softs (founded a student organization that works with the homeless, president of the debate team and nationally ranked, finalist for a truman/rhodes/marshall type scholarship). My GPA is around 3.8

Thanks!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Practice Test Avg. - 169
Previous LSAT - 162
What I think I got: Probably low 160's. Think I aced everything (-0's, -1's), but completely panicked on the LG section and probably guessed for 10 questions, and wasn't certain on those I didn't guess. It's possible I did well if I guessed luckily. What should I do Desert Fox ?

I am targeting top30 - GW, Fordham, BU, BC, Cornell, GTTTown, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Nightrunner wrote:For the record: I had to guess on five game questions (misinterpreted a rule in LG #3) and still ended up with a 173. You might not need to freak out too much.
There's for one upping my bad LG story.

cmos

New

Post by cmos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
cmos wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, H2Oman.
Well, I am kind of the debt-averse person, and I don't think HYS will give need-base money to a working engineer.
Kill LSAT, take the Darrow.
Meaning cancel? I think Umich's policy is to take the higher LSAT, right? From the deep down in my heart, I don't want to cancel it because on the surface I only bombed 4 points (Though I guessed on LR and RC, they are never my perfect sections). I am already determined to spend another four months on retake. I am just hoping if I had some good guess and, in case with a -12+ curve, end up with some low 170 for this test. That could be a good buffer. The biggest reservation I have for cancellation is that I would HAVE to kill the test in Oct (I assume Dec is kinda late for the cycle). If you guys think it is a rational thing to cancel the test, I will seriously consider it.

chelsea9305

New

Post by chelsea9305 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 pm

PT Average: 165
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 157
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: RC and LG were always my strongest sections on PTs. I felt I struggled on most of the LGs, specifically the Tuscany game. 5 mins was called as I was about half way through the last RC passage and I had to really rush the questions and guess on the last three.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: Wake/UNC/W&L

witty username

New

Post by witty username » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 pm

PT Average -----high 160s'-low 170s
Previous LSATs (including cancels) -----one cancel from dec 2009
What you think you'll get on this LSAT----- 150s....
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc -----Had LG for section 2 and was completely screwed by the last two games. This basically ruined my concentration/hope/confidence for the rest of the test.

My gpa is 3.7 and my dream law schools are USC or UCLA. I'm retaking in October, but I'm wondering which looks better:

-two cancels and high score

-one cancel, low score, and high score

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”