Has the LSAC finally out done the Prep Courses on LG? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jarofsoup

Gold

Has the LSAC finally out done the Prep Courses on LG?

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 pm

I found the LG to be a bit different and there is quite the up roar on TLS...

I have to say that it seems like compared to 58,59 even 57 it was a bit tricky overall.

I would have to say that it had the holistic feel to it. Meaning you have to get the big picture and not just focus on the limited options.

What do you all think?

I think I could have bombed it or done well. Every set is a bit of a blur except for the mulch game which I got very confused on, but may have had the main idea.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Re: Has the LSAC finally out done the Prep Courses on LG?

Post by OklahomasOK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:30 pm

No, not really.

I think that prep companies give you the tool necessary to solve LG's... but there is also an intuitive aspect to games that one should grasp. The third and fourth games are prime examples. The third game was something very 90's LSAT esque, which the LGB does talk about; the forth game is similar to one's I've seen before. It's just a matter of knowing when to stop using brute textbook knowledge and when to use hypos and intuition.

Philipsssssss

Bronze

Post by Philipsssssss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Lately i noticed their pure sequencing games have very interesting twists in them. You have to set up the sequencing twice, have 2 different diagram with many possibilities, which is interesting.

But yes, the new games do have to some extent a different feel.

The Mulch game, although new, had a feel from the 1990...

Philipsssssss

Bronze

Post by Philipsssssss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:34 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:No, not really.

I think that prep companies give you the tool necessary to solve LG's... but there is also an intuitive aspect to games that one should grasp. The third and fourth games are prime examples. The third game was something very 90's LSAT esque, which the LGB does talk about; the forth game is similar to one's I've seen before. It's just a matter of knowing when to stop using brute textbook knowledge and when to use hypos and intuition.
Agreed.

Too bad it didn't work out for me this time. I got my basics from the books, but after doing 30+ tests, i had a feel of how to set up games nicely. Even games with a twist weren't much of a challenge...until i f^$#@ up yesterday.

Mulch had a 90's feel for sure.

4th game, although i treated it as a simple grouping game, match to places, i made a wrong set up and it ate my time.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm

I agree. I think that what this LG had that killed me was that it wasn't about plugging situations into get an answer. They wanted you to have a conceptual understanding of the problem. This is how I used to solve logic problems until I started prepping for the LSAT, but it just takes too long.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”