Should I try a prep course?

nonpareilpearl

Should I try a prep course?

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Some background: I have a ~3.17 LSDAS GPA. I really need to be in the 170s, preferably in the 175+ range. Right now I'm PTing on the low-mid 160s. I also know that I have ADD, so focus is a bit of a problem. When I was in school I was able to work around that problem, but I seem to have lost my finesse for that during the two years since I graduated. On the bright side, I feel like I'm missing or struggling with the same types of questions. On the down side I can't seem to consistently fix the problems I am having with those question types.

I think that a prep course, e.g. forced focus, could be helpful. Either that or a one-on-one tutor. Does anyone have any advice? Did anyone use (or is anyone using) a prep course? If so, which were you looking at/which did you choose and what is/was your experience?

Thanks for any advice :D
Last edited by nonpareilpearl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Re: Should I try a prep course?

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:04 pm

I also have ADD. My suggestion to you would be to find the most boring book you can and read it until your eyeballs fall out. I read Smith's 'Wealth of Nations'. It helped.

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Oh, but to answer your real question - prep courses vary by the individual. I have ADD. I don't think my prep course really helped me. It isn't their fault. They simply aren't designed to cater to ADD folks like myself, and I simply didn't have the will power to overcome my own shortcomings.

Your best chance at a good score is definitely with a course. Take TM if you want every answer ever given. Otherwise, take Princeton Review. I hear they're decent.

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Do you know what the stats for TestMasters and Princeton are? e.g. how many students they have in the 160+ and 170+ ranges.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 pm

nonpareilpearl wrote:Do you know what the stats for TestMasters and Princeton are? e.g. how many students they have in the 160+ and 170+ ranges.

I don't think they maintain that data. Many people don't even report their final scores. Thus, it would be difficult to determine the percentage of those who score 170 or higher.

I took TestMasters. It was pretty good. I can't account for Princeton Review, but I hear they're the next best thing before Kaplan. Don't take Kaplan. I've heard nothing but bad reviews about them.

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I've heard people talk about TestMasters, Princeton and PowerScore but I've heard nothing but bad things about Kaplan. Advice heeded :)

panadera

Postby panadera » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm

I did Princeton Review and it really helped me. I need a schedule, and I treated the class like...a class. It helped to have someone tell you what to do, as opposed to going at it aimlessly. (A lot of people did this and it seemed to work for them, I just knew it wouldn't work for me.)
I don't know anything about how a prep class would help someone with ADD (as I don't have ADD), but it was a forced focus for sure.

I really like the Princeton Review. The teacher was really nice, and we could make appointments for one-on-one time often. I improved 14 points from my diagnostic to the actual test, and I think the prep course (and the set schedule/assignments) helped.

wrichcirw

Postby wrichcirw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm

nonpareilpearl wrote:I've heard people talk about TestMasters, Princeton and PowerScore but I've heard nothing but bad things about Kaplan. Advice heeded :)

I took Kaplan. Can't compare, but more than likely I'll be cancelling this test and going solo with the bibles next time around.

Their instruction was all right, can't complain too much other than their formal logic instruction is abysmal. I took a formal logic course too long ago to remember much of it, but what I do remember was that it was much more detailed than what Kaplan taught, and would have been excellent prep for the LSAT.

Their Games were good, focus on RC was good. Going through LR types was good. They have 50 real prep tests and a decent online workshop to gauge your problem areas and prepare mastery assignments aligned to your capability.

About games, I had originally scored 50-60% on them when I walked through their doors (no idea wtf I was doing), to getting 90-100% on the last 5 preps. Then I walk into the Jun 10 LSAT and guess on seven f***ing questions.

Regarding the class, there was a guy who had ADD in my first session. He kept complaining about how bored he was and went into side talk *during* the class. He didn't attend the second session onward. If you can't focus, a 3 1/2 hour class about logic and game deduction will probably not stimulate you enough to keep your attention.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Since you have ADD I think you would be better served by a few hours with a private tutor.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”