Confidence after finishing the LSAT vs. PTs

czelede

Confidence after finishing the LSAT vs. PTs

Postby czelede » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:11 pm

How did you all feel walking out of that room? How did it compare to what you feel (on average) after taking practice tests?

The reasons I ask are this (and yes, there is YET another "should I cancel" embedded in this): I am feeling a little uncertain about my performance on this test and it's starting to really wig me out, the morning after (can you tell that I am a first time LSAT-er?). My diagnostic was a 174; and over the past 20 PTs that I've done (all 5 sections, all timed and back to back), I have always scored between a 175 and a 180 with an average smack dab in the middle. In general on times I scored the 180 I knew I had hit a high score, though of course there were occasional times I surprised myself pleasantly when I thought I did poorly and vice versa. I have never felt as unsure about any test as I do about this one, and I am feeling that this may not bode well as I am not generally a pessimistic test taker - at least, not in college. The fact that I think I could have gotten anywhere within a 10 point range really worries me, and I'm just wondering if this feeling is normal for the rest of you test takers.

For the record, what is primarily stressing me at the moment is that my timing was tight on the RC (which came right on the heels of what turned out to be an experimental section that left my morale feeling a little shakier than it should've been); though I was used to pacing myself evenly during the PTs the pressure of having time called threw me off a little, especially with the Chicano/Australia sections. In practice I eliminate every possible answer from the question whereas for the last two sections I was afraid to linger, and for some chose the one that stood out to me most. In that respect I am entirely uncertain as to how my score turned out, although I did not make any blind guesses. What worries me a little more is that when I had about a minute or two before the time called I went to check my answers and realized one was wrong - I fixed it, but now I keep thinking I could have missed a lot more without realizing it. I think this section could cost me anywhere from 1 to 8 points.

quishiclocus

Re: Confidence after finishing the LSAT vs. PTs

Postby quishiclocus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:13 pm

From past experience on other types of major tests: You are going to feel less confident after the real thing. It's okay. The up side of the GMAT was that I walked out with my score... but until I got the printout I was absolutely convinced I had done horribly. Less confidence does not mean that you did not do well.

justinmcl

Postby justinmcl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:20 pm

I feel the same way, I averaged 166 through all my PT's, and on most PT's had a good idea whether I was above or below my average, right now I am feeling like I got a 145. I am finding it really hard to gauge how I did yesterday.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 pm

These forums say a lot that you can expect your test-day performance to be at least mildly worse than your PT average. I never took that seriously until yesterday.

My diagnostic was a 168, I hit 180 twice in PTs, and I averaged around a 175. Though I don't really know what I got yesterday, I was rushed through sections, felt shaky throughout the entire thing, and wasn't nearly as confident as I was during any of the PTs, even the diagnostic. I'm just hoping that I break 170, but I'm almost certainly retaking.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I felt exactly as if it was just another PT so I anticipate scoring at or near my PT average. I didn't feel overly good about it, but didn't feel awful either.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”