Would a 4 guess on LG justify a cancel? -- Please help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Cancel or wait for the score

Cancel (a low score may ruin the chance for T6)
28%
Not cancel
73%

Total votes: 40

cmos

New

Would a 4 guess on LG justify a cancel? -- Please help!

Post by cmos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi:

I usually get -0 on LG for all my PTs, but yesterday's LG section was kinda bitter for me: it started very well, and I finished the first three games with 15 min left. Then I misinterpreted the 4th game rule, struggled for almost 10min on one problem because four choices seem to be justified. Finally I realized that the setup was wrong and started over with 3 min left, which forced me to randomly guess the last four questions. I wouldn't say I bombed the other three sections but I definitely remained jittery throughout the exam (At least 7 questions combined from LR+RC that I can only eliminated three choices and guessed from the remaining two). I could see myself get a 165 in the worst case.

I tried to cool down myself by not thinking about it yesterday and don't cancel it out of impulse. Unfortunately today I still cannot set my mind straight -- Should I cancel it or wait for the score? FWIW, I am aiming a T14; my GPA is 4 and my PT average is about 173 with an upward trend (but it critically depends on a -0 LG).

I am leaning toward not canceling coz I want to see how I performed; however, I am worried a sub 165 will kill my chance for T6 even with a retake (I think at best I can get a 173/174 for a retake, but schools average).

vicuna

Bronze

Re: Would a 4 guess on LG justify a cancel? -- Please help!

Post by vicuna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm in a similar situation, so I'd be interested in the replies. I'm leaning towards not canceling, because the consensus seems to be that even the T14 are trending away from averaging scores in earnest.

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:04 pm

cmos wrote:Hi:

I usually get -0 on LG for all my PTs, but yesterday's LG section was kinda bitter for me: it started very well, and I finished the first three games with 15 min left. Then I misinterpreted the 4th game rule, struggled for almost 10min on one problem because four choices seem to be justified. Finally I realized that the setup was wrong and started over with 3 min left, which forced me to randomly guess the last four questions. I wouldn't say I bombed the other three sections but I definitely remained jittery throughout the exam (At least 7 questions combined from LR+RC that I can only eliminated three choices and guessed from the remaining two). I could see myself get a 165 in the worst case.

I tried to cool down myself by not thinking about it yesterday and don't cancel it out of impulse. Unfortunately today I still cannot set my mind straight -- Should I cancel it or wait for the score? FWIW, I am aiming a T14; my GPA is 4 and my PT average is about 173 with an upward trend (but it critically depends on a -0 LG).

I am leaning toward not canceling coz I want to see how I performed; however, I am worried a sub 165 will kill my chance for T6 even with a retake (I think at best I can get a 173/174 for a retake, but schools average).
I am in a very similar situation (without the ultra-high GPA -- just 3.8 here). I thought I did OK on the LG but was generally tired throughout the exam and am wondering if my judgement was clouded enough that I screwed up LR. (Fairly confident about RC and even the LR after the break when I had my snack.) Should I cancel or wait to see how this unfolded?

For you, given that your GPA is 4.0 and you're quite certain of having screwed up LG, I would cancel, take a month off and prep for a retake.

Edit: My performance was probably terrible enough that I don't have much of a chance at 175+ and am therefore excluded from HYS. So really for me it's coming down to a question of whether CCN are worthwhile and what it is that I'm aiming for at this stage...

cmos

New

Post by cmos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Edit: My performance was probably terrible enough that I don't have much of a chance at 175+ and am therefore excluded from HYS. So really for me it's coming down to a question of whether CCN are worthwhile and what it is that I'm aiming for at this stage...
I actually didn't consider HYS too much either. I am kind of debt-averse and I don't think I am qualified for any need-base grant. before the test, I was hoping a 4.0+173 can get some $$ from T14. The only situation I would think of going to HYS is that I ended up with a 169/170 with no $ from T14 and for some reason (highly unlikely though) Stanford accepts me. Am I correct that only HYS+CLS+NYU average LSAT?

los_angeles

New

Post by los_angeles » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 am

[deleted]
Last edited by los_angeles on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:04 am

Los Angeles: Common belief is that in most cases HYS will average your scores. The rest of the t14 is a mix between top score and average It's impossible to give you any more advice than that without your GPA at the very least. Run your numbers through http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm with your gpa/possible averages and see if you have a shot. If you do, then take the score because it's always nice to have a pretty high score going into the next test just in case something happens. If you don't, then cancel if HYS is a mandatory thing for you.

And HYS will disregard 1 cancel, vast majority of law schools understand something can go wrong. 2 cancels is an issue.

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 am

mst wrote:Los Angeles: Common belief is that in most cases HYS will average your scores. The rest of the t14 is a mix between top score and average

2 cancels is an issue.
Apparently, the bulk of the top 100 is such a mix. I've mentioned this in a couple of posts, but maybe the assertion comes through more clearly than the invitation for a response. I'm not sure I buy it when schools say they take the top score. I'm even less sure when they toss mention that you're welcome to right an addendum but don't have to. I'm still less sure when they say they take the highest, but say they'd like to see an addendum (or want to know why one score is better, etc.).

Is my reading of those responses unreasonable?

Edit: Also, does absent/cancel/score look any different from cancel/cancel/score? I have one absent (December 09, because I decided to apply in Fall 2010), and the numbers look bad for my June 2010 score.

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 am

Last edited by shotsfired12 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssdfz

New

Post by ssdfz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:51 am

los_angeles wrote:Are you still considering your decision? In a very similar situation here.

Wondering how admission officers would consider [a: cancel, 174] vs . [b: 171, 174] vs. [c: 168, 174] or something along those lines.

My thought is that If I were extremely disciplined, I would cancel, man up, and retake. Any one have thoughts on whether HYS AOs would think a > b > c.

Hi los-angeles:

I am in the same situation and think I have convinced myself to cancel. Here are some reasons that I listed:
1. it is just hard to swallow a -4/5 LG. I also checked my PT score spreadsheet, and it seems that whenever I reach -3 in LG ( about 2 to 3 times), I could not break 170 (the only exception was the lizard/snake game, I got -3 but luckily get a 175 thanks to the generous curve).

2. I can prepare better. I will keep practicing for the next 3 months under different test conditions, and increase my consistency.

3. Admittedly, having one cancellation might increase your pressure when you take the next one. But I will just set my goal low: finish the LG, and don't misinterpret the rule. If my nerve cannot handle this, well, chances are I cannot handle LS and this career either :?

Is Saturday night the deadline for cancellation?
Last edited by ssdfz on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 am

Multiple scores certainly won't preclude you from T6. I'd only be super concerned if you're really gunning for Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. I'd be careful about cancelling.

cmos

New

Post by cmos » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:22 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Multiple scores certainly won't preclude you from T6. I'd only be super concerned if you're really gunning for Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. I'd be careful about cancelling.
I know Chicago claims to take the highest score. But what about CLS and NYU? According to their website, sounds like they will average.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:25 am

I guessed on 6. LoL!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:31 am

I did a 6 guess and got low 170s, so I wouldn't say yes for sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 am

MC Southstar wrote:I did a 6 guess and got low 170s, so I wouldn't say yes for sure.
The downside is your mother killed herself because her son couldn't get into a real ivy and had to go to a public ivy.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:24 pm

When I took the test in February I guessed on 4 LG, but thought I did well on the rest. I contemplated canceling. I'm SO glad I didn't.

los_angeles

New

Post by los_angeles » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:03 am

[deleted]
Last edited by los_angeles on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:05 am

MC Southstar wrote:I did a 6 guess and got low 170s, so I wouldn't say yes for sure.
i guessed five and did the same. don't cancel if you think you did well on the other sections.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:21 am

While i have not taken the LSAT yet i would say this. You do not know for sure that you got four questions wrong, or for that matter which ones you might have gotten right or wrong until the exam comes back. The next test would be in October and you would have to, depending on your abilities, keep up with the studies for at least three months. In addition, who knows what circumstances you will re take under, and how you feel that morning or respond to the questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”