June '10 Test Center Annoyances

lawguy87

Re: June '10 Test Center Annoyances

Postby lawguy87 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm

It's crazy to hear all that went wrong at some of the test centers. In Sacramento where I tested everything went pretty good. The room temp which I was warned about was fine even with nearly 100 people in my testing lecture hall style room. The only annoyance was probably the coughing that takes place during most test. One guy did sound like he was dying during the test. Proctors were cool and not super sensitive toward any aspect of the test, although everyone followed the rules. This may be a little twisted but I wish someone had flipped out with a panic attack or something, that might have relaxed some folks.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:39 pm

On section four after the break the proctors caught someone in my row cheating. I'm not sure what he did wrong, but they came over, stopped him, all went and did something in a different part of the room and a few minutes later he was gone. He looked like he had just been in a car accident or something, but at least he didn't make a scene. Proctors were pretty professional about it. It's good to see at least some cheaters getting caught, it seems like it'd be pretty easy for people to flip back and forth. I was very tempted to do so after I finished my second LR with 6-7 minutes to spare and would have killed for even an extra two minutes to do my LG game.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:04 pm

I had four people in my room with misconduct notices...crazy

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 pm

oxford_don wrote:I was at Northwestern. First, there is no parking in that city for non-students or residents. Had to park in a commercial lot that was a 15 minute walk from campus. So I trek north toward the building we are supposed to report to where I am told that because Northwestern is still in session, we are all taking the test at different buildings around campus. So another 15 minute walk to another building. Not a terrible location with sufficient space (though the table tops were sticky and it got annoying not being able to rest my arms on them). We finally get everyone checked in, time to hand out tests, OPPS we are one test short. So another thirty minutes is spent tracking down an extra copy of the test.

I'd only complain because trying to stay alert, focused, and in the zone for that time was a pain in the ass. It threw me off such that when the test finally started, I needed a few questions to get going.

So don't take it at Northwestern if you don't have to.

Northwestern in Evanston, or Northwestern in downtown Chicago? Ie, NU undergrad or grad campus?

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:We didn't get 5 minute warnings, everyone got pissed. Then the proctor says... "OK! Bubble one in... I'll pretend I didn't see it."

I'm seriously debating calling LSAC. I don't want to sound like a pompous douche, but honestly, I worked my ass off for four months and I don't want everyone getting free questions if they didn't finish it in the time allotted.

I would definitely report it, although it doesn't mean that your group will have it's scores nulled. It will mean that person is fired for sure.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:22 pm

If you took it at South Texas School of Law, I was the girl in the front row of the GT that accidentally slid her answer sheet down the table and caught it twice, with it whacking my acquaintance-down-the-table's booklet both times.

I couldn't apologize enough at break, but overall we both thought it was hilarious that I am so hardcore about getting rid of eraser dust.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm

anyone else take the test in west texas and have the crazy ex-vet proctor?

oxford_don

Postby oxford_don » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Sun May 11, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Why are there are never any lefty desks anywhere? It's not a huge deal, but it was pretty difficult/annoying to write and bubble without anything to rest my arm on for five hours.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:49 pm

For those who are referring to the situation at Rutgers Newark im sure i can explain. I attend the campus as an undergraduate, and you must have taken the exam in conklin hall. The campus has summer classes that run from 6pm-9pm and thats why a professor probably burst in to the room.

Apeacer

Postby Apeacer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Took it in the Marriott in Torrance, CA. We had an minor earthquake/aftershock with about 5 minutes to go during the 5th section. Biggest pain was that everyone seemed to think it was alright to take the next minute to apparently tell their neighbor that an earthquake just took place, and the proctors didn't seem to think it necessary to at least tell everyone they were still on the clock and shut up.

Oh, and crappy tables that resembled wooden risers rather than desks.

katiem

Postby katiem » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:45 pm

I felt the earthquake too, but luckily it was toward the beginning of the writing sample. The only other annoyance was that between sections 2 and 3 someone asked the proctor to shut the door because of noise, and she says "Everywhere you go, you should bring pens, pencils, and earplugs." Then some kid raises his hand and says "But earplugs aren't allowed." "Yes they are, just not with wires attached to them." "No, the thing you read at the beginning said earplugs aren't allowed." and so on until someone finally convinced the kid to just give up :roll: At least that gave me a little time to calm down after logic games though.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:For those who are referring to the situation at Rutgers Newark im sure i can explain. I attend the campus as an undergraduate, and you must have taken the exam in conklin hall. The campus has summer classes that run from 6pm-9pm and thats why a professor probably burst in to the room.

I took the exam here. Who cares if his class is scheduled for 6 o'clock? He clearly either had no idea what the LSAT involves and how much it means for each of the test-takers, or did not at all care. You cannot bare to delay your fucking summer class lecture for 20 minutes so that people have a fair shot at finishing a test that will impact the rest of their lives? What an arrogant douche-bag this guy was.. pacing up and down the stairs in our room, and going up without asking anyone and pulling down the projection board before we started the writing response.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 pm

I took mine at the University of Pennsylvania. It was fine... just about 5 degrees too cold.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I feel like I totally missed any drama. Took it in Boulder, and there was plenty of room (60 people in a lecture hall that seats 150+), excellent proctors, no misconduct, no loud noises, no snifflers/coughers, and there were some people I knew taking it so we could talk about sports during the break. It was as good an environment as I could have hoped for, except for the heat.

WDwheatley

Postby WDwheatley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Earthquake struck LA during reading comp, I just so happened to be on the 12th floor. The building swayed for a few moments and freaking the hell out of me. Of course, there will not be an alternate test given, which is really too bad, since every other thought I had from there on out was whether or not the BIG one was going to strike!

SarahBeth

Postby SarahBeth » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 pm

We originally arrived and then they walked us across campus. At this point a girl walks by with huge eyes, obviously thinking oh shit, I've missed it. I told her that she wasn't in our group and that she had to go back to the room. I thumb-gestured to the building but she still turned around, like I had just told her she was late and she couldn't take it. I stopped her and said "you need to go to registration, we're in a different group." Luckily, she understood this time She was also dumb enough to wear a short skirt. I know this is off topic, but I thought it was funny.
My proctor kept telling us we had five minutes, then that she was sorry and it was either three or four minutes.
Also, we had construction going on, for almost the entire test. It was terrible! It wasn't just hammer blows either, full on saws and drills. I sent a complaint in. It may delay my results, but I might as well let them know.

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:28 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:We didn't get 5 minute warnings, everyone got pissed. Then the proctor says... "OK! Bubble one in... I'll pretend I didn't see it."

I'm seriously debating calling LSAC. I don't want to sound like a pompous douche, but honestly, I worked my ass off for four months and I don't want everyone getting free questions if they didn't finish it in the time allotted.

You're a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.].got.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Count me as one of the lucky ones. My test center was reassigned the week before the test--Wednesday? Thursday? I think Thursday. I just got an email out of the blue, "Hey, you know that test center you signed up for? Yeah, sorry, you're gonna be driving across town instead. Don't forget to print a new ticket."

Lovely.

In the end, the change was probably for the better. I never did make it to my original test center to scope it out, but it was a school, so I'm assuming it would have been desks/lecture hall "desks." The center I was reassigned to, on the other hand, was the grand ballroom at a hotel. ~170 people in a room that could have seated 400. Nice big tables, plenty of room to spread out/stretch. It was great. They even put another 20 people in a different room rather than having some of us sit 5 feet away from each other rather than 6 :) Great silent proctors, 35 minutes per section on the nose with 5 minute warnings, no misconduct/annoying test takers. Great room conditions. I was very, very lucky.

i got a 181

Postby i got a 181 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I took it in Columbus, Ohio and the space set up for 240 when there were 310 of us...so we had to wait for them to setup more tables and chairs. One positive was that we all got our own table! Lots of space :)

During the first section, the proctor gave us our five minute warning when we actually had 10 minutes left. Which resulted in a bit of panic in a lot of people. I had my own watch, but I wasn't sure if maybe it was wrong/broken/etc so I rushed a bit which sucked. He said he was going to tell LSAC that he did that, but not sure if that means anything.

No seriously... WTF x 310.
I haven't had the energy to find out whether that was an experimental section, but that F'ed me over. I had my time budgeted properly and when he announced that the first thing I thought was, "My watch broke, oh fuck, what's going on, I'm fucked. Oh shit. I need to hurry up. Can't think. Breath. Oh fuck. Okay, which statement if true would most strengthens the argument. Oh fuck, this is a long stimulus. I don't have time. I need to get out my backup watch. Wait, I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what happened, that must mean he was wrong. Oh fuck I just wasted 5 minutes panicking."

He was not cool. :x

Edit: During the 15 minute break he said, "I apologize, during the first section I gave a 5 minute warning when there was 10 minutes remaining. I will inform the LSAC of this mistake, it won't happen again." Sure as shit, he did it AGAIN during the writing portion.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:15 am

i got a 181 wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:I took it in Columbus, Ohio and the space set up for 240 when there were 310 of us...so we had to wait for them to setup more tables and chairs. One positive was that we all got our own table! Lots of space :)

During the first section, the proctor gave us our five minute warning when we actually had 10 minutes left. Which resulted in a bit of panic in a lot of people. I had my own watch, but I wasn't sure if maybe it was wrong/broken/etc so I rushed a bit which sucked. He said he was going to tell LSAC that he did that, but not sure if that means anything.

No seriously... WTF x 310.
I haven't had the energy to find out whether that was an experimental section, but that F'ed me over. I had my time budgeted properly and when he announced that the first thing I thought was, "My watch broke, oh fuck, what's going on, I'm fucked. Oh shit. I need to hurry up. Can't think. Breath. Oh fuck. Okay, which statement if true would most strengthens the argument. Oh fuck, this is a long stimulus. I don't have time. I need to get out my backup watch. Wait, I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what happened, that must mean he was wrong. Oh fuck I just wasted 5 minutes panicking."

He was not cool. :x

Edit: During the 15 minute break he said, "I apologize, during the first section I gave a 5 minute warning when there was 10 minutes remaining. I will inform the LSAC of this mistake, it won't happen again." Sure as shit, he did it AGAIN during the writing portion.

Yep, I was at Franklin Vets too and I couldn't believe it. I went up to him during the break and told him, "Look, if you do it again and catch your mistake, announce it please."

As for which one was experimental, the two LR that were scored each had 25 questions.

i got a 181

Postby i got a 181 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:Yep, I was at Franklin Vets too and I couldn't believe it. I went up to him during the break and told him, "Look, if you do it again and catch your mistake, announce it please."

Good on you having self control. I think I would have told him what I really thought.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 am

I'm sorry to hear about some of these stories, and I feel very fortunate that nothing even remotely close happened to me.

I took the LSAT at a law school in Philadelphia (you can PM me if you were in Philly too and curious if you were in the same spot), and the conditions were excellent -- there were long desks on which to work which gave us PLENTY of space, we had a proctor who was a UG at the school and another who was a law student there, and both did not really disturb us at all (they'd occassionally get up and walk around the room as if this were a final in one of my UG classes lol, but besides that, all good), the AC had the room temp at a very comfortable temperature (not too hot or cold even though it was low 80s outside) etc

Literally the only thing someone could've complained about (and nobody would've) was that one of the proctors gave us a 10 minute warning during the 1st section...the second proctor told him they couldn't do that and he apologized after the section, but besdies that...it was absolutely perfect

@the person who took it at Yale: I cannot believe that someone was dumb enough to bring a cell phone into the test center...that just boggles my mind. I must've looked over the "forbidden items" list on LSAC 5 different times. Beyond that, once we got to our test center, before check-in started at about noon, the head proctor told us that even though cell phones weren't allowed, if anyone had mistakenly brought them, they could leave them up front -- THEN, once we got into our actual testing room (we were dividied into 4 diff rooms), the proctor there ALSO gave us a phone/electronics warning. At that point, nobody had anything on them, but there were probably about 10+ people who still had phones on them who had to leave them at the front. idk, i guess it just may be an indication of how seriously (or not so seriously) some people take the LSAT

justinmcl

Postby justinmcl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:33 am

I cannot feel bad for the person caught with a cell either, it is all over the place, on your admission ticket, on the lsac website, in the emails they send you before the test day, on signing in they asked again, and they gave two opportunities at my testing centre to place them up at the front if for some reason someone still had one on them. Even minus the two warnings from the proctor, the only way you could still have one is if you are quite dull, or stupid enough to try and get away with it, which is probably likely, but not worth the risk.

quishiclocus

Postby quishiclocus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

I had to tell someone beforehand: Yeah, it's inconvenient to walk your phone back to the car, but for God's sake, do you really want to get kicked out and have that on your record if they figure it out?

It was annoying not to have mine for the time we got stuck waiting before going in, but I far prefer that inconvenience to the alternative.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”