Unless you have a HYS GPA, you probably shouldn't cancel

tallboone

Unless you have a HYS GPA, you probably shouldn't cancel

Postby tallboone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 am

Just a word of advice to everyone stressing out about their LSAT scores and considering canceling. For the vast majority of people on this site, retaking the LSAT after one poor performance will not have a negative impact on your cycle, as it was my experience from the '09-'10 admissions cycle that schools really do take the highest score, with the possible exception of Harvard. This includes most of the T-14 and T-10.

My cycle went pretty much as LSN and LawSchoolPredictor said it would, right down scholarship amounts. This being despite the fact that I took this devilish test twice. So unless you have a phenomenal GPA that could get you into Harvard (with the right LSAT score), consider letting it ride, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Fark-o-vision

Re: Unless you have a HYS GPA, you probably shouldn't cancel

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:10 am

You're an ass.

I'm just kidding. I'm just upset at my discovery of the actual LG section. I'm really, really sorry.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:17 am

I say this as someone who took it once without much prep, got my deserved score back. Took it a second time and really thought I had a transcription error (bubbling) on the last section. I agonized for several days after the test about what I should do, and called a bunch of the schools I was applying to (H and most of the rest of the T-14) to ask for advice. Most suggested I wait for the results of the test, which I did, and I was very happy with the result.

A lot of people bomb part of the test, but almost everyone THINKS they bombed part of the test. So if you aren't gunning for Harvard, really consider waiting for that score report.

buddyblack

Postby buddyblack » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 am

+1 to this advice. Including the part about Harvard being the only one from my cycle who appeared to average.

jmc8y

Postby jmc8y » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 am

what if you know you shit the bed? i.e., didn't finish the sections you normally finish and did the usual on everything else?

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 am

i dont agree...I know there are people like me that just bombed more than 2 sections...and know for sure this test was worse than ANY PT I've done...After my first two scored sections (LR and LG) my confidence was crushed and I just bombed every section just because of that...I think someone would rather have a cancel and a 165 than a 150 and a 165

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:22 am

If you are sure, 100% positive that you screwed up, then by all means cancel. But I meant this for people who are wavering about canceling, just didn't have a generally good feeling about how they did, etc. If you know you left 12 questions blank and you are usually scoring a 173 or something, then definitely cancel. If you aren't sure, I'd say wait and see. Also, keep in mind a lot of people score a few points lower on the actual test than their recent PTs. So if you are set on getting a 170 and you think you might end up with a 168, this is not a good reason to cancel.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”