OK after reading so many posts about the 4th game

idoubtit

OK after reading so many posts about the 4th game

Postby idoubtit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 am

I have something to say.

So many of you said some word has vague meaning, so that you realized that you misunderstood it after 3 to 4 questions then had to go back redo them.
My question is: how can u even find the right answer for even the first question of game without realizing your misinterpretation of the word?

I misunderstood the word.

and I tried the first question and already found that according to the rules, none of the answers could be right. Then I realize my misinterpretation of the word in the rule.

How come u guys figure it out after 3 or 4 questions?

How could u make the right choice even for the first question using the misinterpretation?

idoubtit

Re: OK after reading so many posts about the 4th game

Postby idoubtit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:22 am

BTW I SUCKED on the LG part too, just like June last year.

:cry:

Near

Postby Near » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 am

I'm sure after eliminating four wrong choices many people circle the fifth and move on, without bothering to apply the rules to it.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 am

idoubtit wrote:I have something to say.

So many of you said some word has vague meaning, so that you realized that you misunderstood it after 3 to 4 questions then had to go back redo them.
My question is: how can u even find the right answer for even the first question of game without realizing your misinterpretation of the word?

I misunderstood the word.

and I tried the first question and already found that according to the rules, none of the answers could be right. Then I realize my misinterpretation of the word in the rule.

How come u guys figure it out after 3 or 4 questions?

How could u make the right choice even for the first question using the misinterpretation?

Fair question. I found 2 possible answers to the first question using the misinterpreted rule so I took the 50/50 guess. Then I thought the second one seemed difficult so I decided to skip it. Then I started realizing during the third question that something wasn't right. I looked back and forth at my diagram/notes and the rules...and then BOOM, it hit me like a freight train. At that point, it was just too late.

citrustang

Postby citrustang » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 am

There is a moment in difficult LG's where you sometimes have to differentiate between missing a major deduction but tackling easier questions in hopes of uncovering it, and choosing to start over and reassess the game as a whole. If you are confident you have not misinterpreted the rules, it is favorable to adopt the first course of action. When that happens, facing a few unanswerable questions and choosing to skip them is not out of the ordinary. But by that time, you have already spent time setting the game up and sketching a few hypos in an attempt to answer questions. Even looking over three questions and weighing answer choices can use up considerable amounts of time. For me, I didn't fully recognize what was going on until I encountered the question that contained an "if" clause that asked me to directly break my (now obviously incorrect) interpretation of the first rule.

Your case perfectly illustrates the problem with the fourth LG. The problem was not that you read an otherwise clear rule and made a mistake on your end in your interpretation of what it was saying. The error was inherent to the language in the rule. For you, maybe only a couple of minutes were lost, so consider yourself lucky. Others were not so fortunate.

idoubtit

Postby idoubtit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 am

citrustang wrote:There is a moment in difficult LG's where you sometimes have to differentiate between missing a major deduction but tackling easier questions in hopes of uncovering it, and choosing to start over and reassess the game as a whole. If you are confident you have not misinterpreted the rules, it is favorable to adopt the first course of action. When that happens, facing a few unanswerable questions and choosing to skip them is not out of the ordinary. But by that time, you have already spent time setting the game up and sketching a few hypos in an attempt to answer questions. Even looking over three questions and weighing answer choices can use up considerable amounts of time. For me, I didn't fully recognize what was going on until I encountered the question that contained an "if" clause that asked me to directly break my (now obviously incorrect) interpretation of the first rule.

Your case perfectly illustrates the problem with the fourth LG. The problem was not that you read an otherwise clear rule and made a mistake on your end in your interpretation of what it was saying. The error was inherent to the language in the rule. For you, maybe only a couple of minutes were lost, so consider yourself lucky. Others were not so fortunate.

lol I was not that lucky anyway coz these 2 mins killed my last hope. I wasted so much time on the truck game that I only had 5 mins left for the last game. Now imagine how important these 2 mins is for me:)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”