How is the curve even determined?

Re: How is the curve even determined?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:12 pm

whatjusthappened wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:This is why I think the creators really screwed up the curve on this test:

There was one game (the last game) that had a really ambiguous term, and everyone is complaining about it. I guarantee that when this game appeared as an experimental, it did not have that confusing term. As a result, not many (no one?) had to stop and think about a single rule and more people would have gotten the game right, or at least more questions right. So the curve for this test is not going to factor in ALL the trouble people had with that game.

Unless the creators intentionally made this game ambiguous, which I would find very hard to believe.

How the fuck can you guarantee that? I'd bet it was exactly the same. And exactly as many people got it wrong in experimental.
That doesn't mean I don't believe it was ambiguous, it might be. However every test there is a question people misread, and bitch about. And then the test comes out and everyone realizes they read it wrong.

I thought that they change the game up a lot when it goes from being an experimental to the real thing (i.e., different scenario)?

No they use it word for word usually.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Jessss22 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
3|ink wrote:120 - 180 converted figures are supposed to represent percentiles. Every number between 120-180 reflects a different percentage. However, the precentages are always the same for the same LSAT score. For instance, a 164 is always 90%.

Thus, the curve is calculated based on how others performed.

Edit for clarity: Specifically, the curve reflects how many people scored a raw score (out of 100 or 101) below yours.

You don't know what you are talking about. This is wrong.

this is completely wrong. 75 question right on one exam and 75 questions right on another exam can produce totally different score

You're thinking raw score. I was referring to LSAT score (120 - 180). In other words, 164 always equals 93%. The same raw score on the other hand does not always determine your LSAT score. How ever many people got a raw score below yours determines your percentile, which in turn determines your LSAT score.

This is how it was with EVERY test I took in preparation and reviewed. I've never seen the percentiles fluctuate.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
3|ink wrote:
It isn't definitive proof, but it is evidence (if we're going to be sticklers). The 3rd game was in my December experimental as well.

Well, you aren't claiming to remember the wording was different, just that you did much worse on it right? It's very likely you just flubbed it this time around.

Perhaps my words were misunderstood. I said that I can disprove that the wording was different. In other words, based on my testimony, the wording was the same as before.

PS: And yes. I definitely messed it up this time around.
Last edited by 3|ink on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:21 pm

3|ink wrote:
Jessss22 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
3|ink wrote:120 - 180 converted figures are supposed to represent percentiles. Every number between 120-180 reflects a different percentage. However, the precentages are always the same for the same LSAT score. For instance, a 164 is always 90%.

Edit for clarity: Specifically, the curve reflects how many people scored a raw score (out of 100 or 101) below yours.

this is completely wrong. 75 question right on one exam and 75 questions right on another exam can produce totally different score

You're thinking raw score. I was referring to LSAT score (120 - 180). In other words, 164 always equals 93%. The same raw score on the other hand does not always determine your LSAT score. How ever many people got a raw score below yours determines your percentile, which in turn determines your LSAT score.

This is how it was with EVERY test I took in preparation and reviewed. I've never seen the percentiles fluctuate.

They do fluctuate. 170 used to be 98.0+ and now its only 97.5%+.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/ls ... -lsac.html

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:21 pm

3|ink wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
3|ink wrote:
It isn't definitive proof, but it is evidence (if we're going to be sticklers). The 3rd game was in my December experimental as well.

Well, you aren't claiming to remember the wording was different, just that you did much worse on it right? It's very likely you just flubbed it this time around.

Perhaps my words were misunderstood. I said that I can disprove that the wording was different. In other words, based on my testimony, the wording was the same as before.

Oh I'm sorry, I misread. Yea. They don't change the wording.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm

3|ink wrote:
Jessss22 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This is completely wrong. The percentile is based on the last three years of test takers. There usually isn't much fluctuation, but it happens.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm

What exactly is the curve?

Do they give everyone a handicap of say 8 or 9 points after the curve is determined?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Oh God, this again.

Why post this? Obviously you know how the test is curved. Good for you. Other people are curious. If it is so annoying to see people speculate on something that you are not interested in then don't further waste your time posting your superiority in the thread.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Hey-O wrote:

Why post this? Obviously you know how the test is curved. Good for you. Other people are curious. If it is so annoying to see people speculate on something that you are not interested in then don't further waste your time posting your superiority in the thread.

He probably posted because this has been discussed a million times and simple search would have yielded numerous results. Also I don't think anyone actually knows exactly how curves are determined.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Hey-O wrote:

He probably posted because this has been discussed a million times and simple search would have yielded numerous results. Also I don't think anyone actually knows exactly how curves are determined.

I get the reasoning I just hate all the squashers who are around. Who wants to read some forum post from nine months ago? Also, maybe the person wants feedback.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey-O wrote:

Don't call out the MOD!!! And that wasn't what he was referring to, anyway. Or, I don't think it was. He was referring to the ambiguous word that has been creating a schism on this site. The debate is getting old, mostly because it's pointless.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey-O wrote:I get the reasoning I just hate all the squashers who are around. Who wants to read some forum post from nine months ago? Also, maybe the person wants feedback.

Yeah man, finding the answers yourself is a drag. Why not have them spoonfed to you?

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:I get the reasoning I just hate all the squashers who are around. Who wants to read some forum post from nine months ago? Also, maybe the person wants feedback.

Yeah man, finding the answers yourself is a drag. Why not have them spoonfed to you?

Eh, I agree with the first principle. Sure, a little research could yield better results, but what the heck is the point of a forum that acts as an information repository? If people wanted real, reliable information they probably wouldn't seek it out on an internet board whose interactions are dictated by questionable, and often rude, members? This is just for jawing with other like minded individuals about whatever springs to mind.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 pm

bk1 wrote:

Exactly. If I wanted to something hard I would....not spend all my time on TLS.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”