nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Last edited by nycparalegal on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15

Re: Should I roll the dice or cancel?

Postby trudat15 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:01 am

very interested in hearing people's thoughts on this. I also have a 164, but have been scoring really well in practice exams (-2-4 in LR total and -2-5 in RC).

But on today's exam, i'm not so sure of anything. I thought the LR was pretty straight forward, but I def had some trouble with a few of them that consumed a lot of time. THe LG I think I got it ,but it was just brute force on the last game, and hurried brute force at that, so I'm not 100% confident in that.

Also def dont want another low score, but I dont know if I want to wait until Oct to take it again.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 am

Last edited by nycparalegal on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 am

Need more info:

How far are you from where you need to be scorewise? Where are you looking to apply?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 am

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 am

nycparalegal wrote:
3|ink wrote:Need more info:

How far are you from where you need to be scorewise? Where are you looking to apply?

The last PT I took #59, I scored a 169 and I was looking for a 170.

I meant to ask this - what is the lowest LSAT score you'd be willing to accept based on your choice of schools?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 am

3|ink wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
3|ink wrote:Need more info:

The last PT I took #59, I scored a 169 and I was looking for a 170.

I meant to ask this - what is the lowest LSAT score you'd be willing to accept based on your choice of schools?

A 166 - that would be a full ride to Brooklyn Law School. I live in Brooklyn, and then I'd join the JAG corps.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 am

That's quite a bind to be in. I can't give you advice because only you know how you did. Unfortunately, it's up to each test taker to know the difference between post-test anxiety and genuine concern.

Then again, since your school isn't top 10, it couldn't hurt to have one low LSAT score. Do you know your schools policy on 3 LSATs?

Don't let blocks of C's and D's throw you off. I had a block of 5 C's. Others say it was only 4, but I was pretty confident about my answers on those.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am

3|ink wrote:That's quite a bind to be in. I can't give you advice because only you know how you did. Unfortunately, it's up to each test taker to know the difference between post-test anxiety and genuine concern.

Then again, since your school isn't top 10, it couldn't hurt to have one low LSAT score. Do you know your schools policy on 3 LSATs?

Don't let blocks of C's and D's throw you off. I had a block of 5 C's. Others say it was only 4, but I was pretty confident about my answers on those.

Well the 164 is low already. I really don't want two low scores. If I wanted a shot at t-14, is it okay to have three scores or is two better?

samxkx

Postby samxkx » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Personally, I decided to cancel my score. I had been scoring above 170 on most of my practice tests, and I usually always just get -1/-2 on reading comprehension. I had a throbbing headache (i think due to dehydration) after the break, and couldn't answer the entire last passage of reading comprehension, which for me, is unheard of. Needless to say, I cancelled my score. Up until then, I actually felt really good. I didn't have too much trouble with LG, and the LR sections felt pretty good. But guessing on 8 questions in reading comprehension did not sit well with me.

Your choice, but if you're unhappy with less than 170 then retake in october and study hard enough that in october 170 is a breeze! :p

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:31 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Okay, so I already have one score:164 and one no show (I was really sick).

I want to cancel this one because I was doing so well, until I died on the mulch question (which to me was like old school), didn't even start the last one until 6 mins left and had to guess on three of the last questions. Although, I did find the last game pretty easy compared to the third game.

One of the LR I had a shitload of C and D. I was like this can't be right.

I didn't think RC was that bad.

Overall, if I didn't suck at the LG and just guessed on the Mulch. I think I would stick to my score.

But I tend to get about -4, -4 per LR and -3 per RC so I'm not sure if I want to cancel.

I already have a 164, so I don't really want another low score. However, if another low score isn't going to hurt me I'd like to see where I land before I take the October test.

What's the best thing to do?

Unless you have a decent reason to believe you did worse than 164, I wouldn't cancel. You'll probably fuck up the next next too. 164, 166, 170 is worse than 164 cancel 170, by a small amount, but 164, 166, 163 is a lot better than 164 cancel 163.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Okay, so I already have one score:164 and one no show (I was really sick).

I want to cancel this one because I was doing so well, until I died on the mulch question (which to me was like old school), didn't even start the last one until 6 mins left and had to guess on three of the last questions. Although, I did find the last game pretty easy compared to the third game.

One of the LR I had a shitload of C and D. I was like this can't be right.

I didn't think RC was that bad.

Overall, if I didn't suck at the LG and just guessed on the Mulch. I think I would stick to my score.

But I tend to get about -4, -4 per LR and -3 per RC so I'm not sure if I want to cancel.

I already have a 164, so I don't really want another low score. However, if another low score isn't going to hurt me I'd like to see where I land before I take the October test.

What's the best thing to do?

Unless you have a decent reason to believe you did worse than 164, I wouldn't cancel. You'll probably fuck up the next next too. 164, 166, 170 is worse than 164 cancel 170, by a small amount, but 164, 166, 163 is a lot better than 164 cancel 163.

I don't know Desert. I'm pretty sure If I didn't screw up the logic games section I would have ended up around 169 and possibly hit the magic 170 mark. But, I think I may have a solid -6 to -8 on that section. I'm pretty sure I wont make that mistake in October.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:59 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
I don't know Desert. I'm pretty sure If I didn't screw up the logic games section I would have ended up around 169 and possibly hit the magic 170 mark. But, I think I may have a solid -6 to -8 on that section. I'm pretty sure I wont make that mistake in October.

But anything can happen. You might have to go to the bathroom, you might get nervous, who knows. With the 164 already on your record any school that averages will already have the damage done.

I really would roll the dice. People have almost canceled damn good scores in the past.

A low score won't hurt nearly as much as a high score would help.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:But anything can happen. You might have to go to the bathroom, you might get nervous, who knows. With the 164 already on your record any school that averages will already have the damage done.

I really would roll the dice. People have almost canceled damn good scores in the past.

A low score won't hurt nearly as much as a high score would help.

This seems right. If a school averages, the 164 will already bring down the average from a 170. If you feel like you did worse than last time, you might cancel. Otherwise, the rational choice is to stick it out.

Think about how your score normally falls out on the AR section. You mention normally having -4, -4, -3 on the LR and RC. If you got 100% on the attempted AR questions and missed all three guesses, you'd have a -14. I genuinely believe yesterday's test was harder than a lot of PT's I've taken, and I'd expect at least as much of a curve as on #56. On that one, a -14 scores a 167. If you do take it again and hit 170, the 167 means you break even. If you take it again and gt a 169, the 167 brings the mean average up just a hair.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 pm

I decided to cancel. I rather have a cancel then another crappy score.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm

That is my fear. If I don't cancel (already having a really low score) and get another low score then my chances for a great law school are basically screwed despite my 3.9 GPA (LSAC). I have a 3.843 at UC Irvine.

Although I just did the games on my own - realized that I actually might not have done that badly during the test. It's mostly RC that is the tossup. Could be really BAD or really GOOD. totally not sure on it at all because I was feeling messed up from games.

LR I feel decently/good about.

I already posted my other stats, but I need help based on this now that I've had more time to think about how I did on the test.

Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”