PT 58, LR2, Q23

lsatextreme

PT 58, LR2, Q23

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I was confused by the correct answer choice in this stimulus. I get that the logic is that they present only 2 potential scenarios and since it's probably not one, it's likely the other type of thing going on, but the correct answer choice says "eight meteorite craters," and I'm wondering shouldn't it be "eight volcanic craters" in order to be the right answer? I mean, the stimulus concludes that it's likely to be eight volcanic craters, so shouldn't the right answer strengthen by saying that there's no other known natural causes to account for eight "volcanic" craters of different ages?

zworykin

Re: PT 58, LR2, Q23

Postby zworykin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:02 pm

There are 8 craters in a straight line. They are different ages. Therefore, they were caused by volcanoes and not meteorites.

That there are no natural causes for 8 meteorite craters of different ages in a straight line strengthens the argument.
That there are no natural causes for 8 volcano craters of different ages in a straight line would almost completely destroy/invalidate the argument.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:06 pm

god ok, im misreading crap, for some reason i thought it was saying that no other known natural causes...

!@#$ I think it may be time for me to stop studying before I get discouraged or something

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:15 pm

waiitttt a second...I think I'm still confused by this. I get how my original contention wouldn't make sense, but I'm still trying to understand the answer choice itself. What exactly is it saying? These craters are either caused by volcanic events or meteorites, but why would a "no known natural for meteorites craters" have to do with meteorites craters being any less likely, which I'm sure it's trying to say.

I guess I'm trying to bring outside information here, but if a meteorites hits earth and creates a crater, you need a natural cause to indicate that such event occurred?

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:16 pm

You would need a natural cause for them all to land in a straight line (which is implied to be an unnatural circumstance). There is no natural cause that would cause meteorites to land in a straight line at different times. (Hypothetically this could be a steady flow of meteorites all coming from the same place in the solar system at the same angle, or it could be a natural meteorite-making machine on the moon that always spits out a meteorite at the same time on the same day every year, or whatever. The answer just says there is no such natural cause.) A volcano, on the other hand, does not move. If it's sitting there spitting out rocks every few thousand years, it's quite likely that some of them will land in a straight line eventually.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 pm

What is wrong with (E)?

thanks!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:21 pm

This one got me too. I think I just gave up and selected A. I think that was the one about 8 craters elsewhere that were all of the same date or something.

marsilni

Postby marsilni » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 pm

I was confused too. Aren't volcanic eruptions "natural"? I suppose they mean natural as in these craters have always been there, weren't caused by anything, that's simply the way the Earth was created?

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:18 pm

marsilni wrote:I was confused too. Aren't volcanic eruptions "natural"? I suppose they mean natural as in these craters have always been there, weren't caused by anything, that's simply the way the Earth was created?

are you talking about (B)? read carefully. it says "No known natural cause would likely account for eight METEORITE craters of different ages forming a straight line." This essential says: there is no way meteorites can be said to have caused the 8 large craters. By eliminating the only other contender in terms of explaining the 2 large craters, (B) does effectively strengthen the conclusion that it was not meteorites and instead was volcanic events.

any thoughts on why (E) isn't that great of a strengthener though? is it just because the argument doesn't require that a single meteor shower create the 8 impacts and it leaves room for different meteor showers to still have done the damage?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:57 pm

This is how I went about it. If I remember correctly stimulus states that the craters are of different ages.

E is wrong because a single meteor shower would imply the craters would be of the same age and therefore it doesn't rule out a possibility that a meteor shower could have caused those craters of differing ages.

Edit: I found a really good explanation for why B is correct.

http://www.atlaslsat.com/forums/pt-58-s ... -t437.html
http://www.atlaslsat.com/forums/pt58-s4 ... t1815.html

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:52 am

yea I don't like that first explanation Atlas gave, the "natural cause" being referred to in B is not some 3rd unaccounted for thing that could have caused the craters as that explanation suggests, rather it is referring to the fact that nothing could have cased meteorite craters to form a straight line.

PostHawk

Postby PostHawk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 am

The argument is that the 8 craters in a line are all from volcanoes and NOT from meteorites. Some of the support for this is that they are in a straight line and all DIFFERENT ages. The likelihood of 8 different meteor strikes all from different time periods is highly unlikely. Now if there was some already known cause for this (like someone said earlier about the moon shooting off rocks at different intervals but always only in a straight line that could account for it) then there would be a good chance it was caused by meteorites. The 8 craters caused by volcanoes are not from rocks shooting from the volcanoes but most likely from the volcano itself. Unless you took a natural disaster course you might not know this but while the volcanoes themselves are usually pretty set the earth's crust above them are moving. So if the volcano erupts at 8 different times in, lets say, the past 1,000,000 years and each time it erupts it creates a new crater it could very likely cause 8 craters in a line from 8 different time periods.

I agree that the credited response doesn't strengthen the argument a ton but it does rule out the only other explanation presented in the argument. So if it's either volcanoes or meteorites and you're trying to prove that it's volcanoes ruling out meteorites does (albeit somewhat lamely) strengthen the argument.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 am

sayruss11 wrote:yea I don't like that first explanation Atlas gave, the "natural cause" being referred to in B is not some 3rd unaccounted for thing that could have caused the craters as that explanation suggests, rather it is referring to the fact that nothing could have cased meteorite craters to form a straight line.

That's exactly what I thought after reading it.

The 2nd explanation is far better. If I remember correctly, the conclusion was a 2 piece argument. The first part was that meteors probably didn't cause the craters. The second was that volcanoes probably did. B strengthens the first part of the argument, but not necessarily the 2nd. Regardless, since it strengthens any part of the conclusion, it is the correct answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”