testing center desks

forty-two

Re: testing center desks

Postby forty-two » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 pm

cord wrote:im about to sign up for oct lsats, how should i pick my test center? how do you guys know which places have which type of seating?

It's typically a good idea to take the test at a law school because the classrooms usually have have long tables or big desks.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:58 pm

forty-two wrote:
cord wrote:im about to sign up for oct lsats, how should i pick my test center? how do you guys know which places have which type of seating?

It's typically a good idea to take the test at a law school because the classrooms usually have have long tables or big desks.

+1 I think they also have proctors who understand the importance of the LSAT a little more. This is just speculation though. I have heard that the only law school in my city is the best place to test though.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:18 pm

I googled mine off my admissions ticket and found out i'm going to be in a big audotorium with the small desks. Oh well, i practiced keeping my answer sheet underneath my test booklet then pulling it out after every game/passage or two pages in LR and bubbling.

I'm also fairly tall like someone who posted above, so i'm planning on being uncomfortable. I'm just going to try my best to take everything but the LSAT and the questions out of my head, and focus really intently on every word of the LSAT.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:23 pm

you guys are ridiculous. 1) stop freaking. 2) the 'auditoriums' of your testing centers are probably just the meeting place for dispersal to smaller rooms. I'm pretty sure auditoriums are against LSAC testing policy/procedure. Proctors can't walk between people and everyone can see the tests in front of them. 3) relax.

a11 1n

Postby a11 1n » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:20 am

It has been well documented that the spaciousness of your desk can result in a 4-7 point swing on test day. If your in a small desk, just fill in the cancel score bubbles and save yourself 5 hours of your life. :roll:

Seriously though, the first time I took the exam it was on those tiny cramped fold-out-table desks and it sucked managing the space but you get used to it. Just dont freak out and while they are going over the dumb rules, position your stuff to maximize your efficiency and space.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:17 am

sibley wrote:2) the 'auditoriums' of your testing centers are probably just the meeting place for dispersal to smaller rooms. I'm pretty sure auditoriums are against LSAC testing policy/procedure. Proctors can't walk between people and everyone can see the tests in front of them.

False. Took it at Temple University last year for the June test... giant auditorium.. probably 300+ people.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:03 am

beach_terror wrote:
sibley wrote:2) the 'auditoriums' of your testing centers are probably just the meeting place for dispersal to smaller rooms. I'm pretty sure auditoriums are against LSAC testing policy/procedure. Proctors can't walk between people and everyone can see the tests in front of them.

False. Took it at Temple University last year for the June test... giant auditorium.. probably 300+ people.

File a report, get the whole thing cancelled if this happens to anyone else.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 am

sibley wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

File a report, get the whole thing cancelled if this happens to anyone else.

I think the consensus is that it happens pretty frequently. I don't think its against the rules. And judging by the "Testing for xxx in room (same as my lsat ticket)" signs that were around the building I'm pretty sure this school uses that specific room for testing on the regular.

SO, I don't think I am over reacting in the least. Its a sucky situation.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:08 pm

What center has the most spacious desks in LA/Orange county? It may seem like a minor issue to some, but I've taken plenty of finals at a UC and would rather not take the LSAT on one of those tiny, oddly-shaped auditorium pop-up desks.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 pm

hijodehombre wrote:What center has the most spacious desks in LA/Orange county? It may seem like a minor issue to some, but I've taken plenty of finals at a UC and would rather not take the LSAT on one of those tiny, oddly-shaped auditorium pop-up desks.

I'm taking it at Southwestern which is supposed to have tables and not desks and generally supposed to be a good test center (so I've heard). UCLA has the small desks supposedly. If you're hoping to be able to pick and choose a center for October all of the centers are full.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:20 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:What center has the most spacious desks in LA/Orange county? It may seem like a minor issue to some, but I've taken plenty of finals at a UC and would rather not take the LSAT on one of those tiny, oddly-shaped auditorium pop-up desks.

I'm taking it at Southwestern which is supposed to have tables and not desks and generally supposed to be a good test center (so I've heard). UCLA has the small desks supposedly. If you're hoping to be able to pick and choose a center for October all of the centers are full.

--LinkRemoved--

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm taking mine at my undergrad just for familiarity sakes. I heard you either get put in the big auditorium or a couple of classrooms. The big auditorium has the small fold out desks but they space you with an empty seat in the middle of you and the other person so you can set things on the desk next to you so it's no big deal. And if you are in one of the small classrooms they usually have legit desks so i'm hoping it works out fine. I'm only worried becase that afternoon is a large concert on campus. Here's hoping it works out fine.

cmaas

Postby cmaas » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:14 pm

I hear great things about Southwestern and West LA (despite what the wiki says). USC can be a gamble because you can either get a great room or a terrible one. You should also check the football schedule for USC to make sure they have an away game and that the marching band isn't practicing. UCLA sucks as a test center.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks all. It's amazing that despite sincere efforts to make the LSAT a standard measure, the test center conditions can vary so widely--from disruptions, noise, seating, desk area, proctors.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”