testing center desks

itseightfortyfive

testing center desks

Postby itseightfortyfive » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 pm

So, I stopped by the room at my testing center today. Its one of those big auditoriums with the desks that fold up from the side. Has anyone taken the test in one of those desks. I remember hating taking tests in those desks in college, so i'm guessing that my best bet is to try to get there super early, pray that there is no assigned seating and try to get one of the four big desks in the back which I think are reserved for the handicapped.

nonamebreakdown

Re: testing center desks

Postby nonamebreakdown » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 pm

itseightfortyfive wrote:So, I stopped by the room at my testing center today. Its one of those big auditoriums with the desks that fold up from the side. Has anyone taken the test in one of those desks. I remember hating taking tests in those desks in college, so i'm guessing that my best bet is to try to get there super early, pray that there is no assigned seating and try to get one of the four big desks in the back which I think are reserved for the handicapped.

pretty sure it'll be assigned seating. sorry.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:00 pm

how do you know which room you're in? My ticket just has the building. and yea, you're assigned a desk.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 pm

My ticket says the room number. I've read through the forums and a lot of people have said that not every test center does assigned seating.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:58 pm

itseightfortyfive wrote:the desks that fold up from the side.

Thats horrible. My testing center is in a huge auditorium with wide and spacious desks thank god. I hated taking exams in undergrad on tests like that let alone the LSAT.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:09 am

Yeah, I'm not happy about it. But theres not really anything that I can do. I'm still wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how their LSATs went.

I also wonder how it will effect the rule that "Books must remain flat on the desk at all times" I mean, the whole book wont even fit on the desk. I remember folding my blue books back.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:15 am

itseightfortyfive wrote:Yeah, I'm not happy about it. But theres not really anything that I can do. I'm still wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how their LSATs went.

Not to scare you or be pessimistic, but it's one of the reasons I canceled my first LSAT. I'm tall (6'3), and I was just generally uncomfortable in the chairs after awhile (neck and back started to ache). It sucked not being able to have the test and answer sheet side by side too, as it made me waste time flipping back and forth. The second time around I lucked out and got a huge desk... felt 1000 times better about the test too.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:21 am

laaaameeee. I don't really remember if i got tired of sitting in those chairs in college. I guess I'll find out come Monday. I'm praying that they will not actually be testing in that room, but I doubt it because there was a sign about some other testing going on today in the same room. I guess thats what I get for signing up so late and having to be at the wait listed location.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 am

itseightfortyfive wrote:laaaameeee. I don't really remember if i got tired of sitting in those chairs in college. I guess I'll find out come Monday. I'm praying that they will not actually be testing in that room, but I doubt it because there was a sign about some other testing going on today in the same room. I guess thats what I get for signing up so late and having to be at the wait listed location.

It was the hunching over that hurt my neck and back. I have back problems to begin with, but yeah. With bigger desks, I can slide the chair back and like lean on my forearms if that makes sense. I also like to have my face super close to the material when I read.. it helps me focus.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:30 am

for me, I like to sit cross legged or with my feet lifted off the ground, its difficult to do that in those desks.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:32 am

Yep, auditorium desks are the worst man. Hopefully you have a better time of it than I did.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:45 am

heres to hoping.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:07 am

itseightfortyfive wrote:heres to hoping.

There was a discussion about this somewhere else. I think LSAT has a rule that says if you want, you can bring in a board with certain dimensions - you might get some funny looks, but could be worth looking into.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:34 am

hellojd, I really like your sn. and I will look into that. I don't know where I'd get a board or where I would even put it, but it would be good to know.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:45 am

itseightfortyfive wrote:I'm still wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how their LSATs went.

I had a similar experience on my first LSAT and it proved to be very problematic (I ended up canceling). Bad seating wasn't obviously the main reason I canceled, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't a factor either. My booklet kept slipping off my desk and pencils kept rolling onto the floor from other peoples' desks. FWIW, my second LSAT went much, much better after choosing a different test center with huge desks and plenty of space to spread out. I know many people can probably handle the "small desk/huge auditorium" test centers, but considering the importance of the LSAT, I think it might be worth changing test centers if you can.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 am

hellojd wrote:
itseightfortyfive wrote:heres to hoping.

There was a discussion about this somewhere else. I think LSAT has a rule that says if you want, you can bring in a board with certain dimensions - you might get some funny looks, but could be worth looking into.

Would that also have to fit into your gallon ziplock bag? ha

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:47 am

This is my nightmare.

itseightfortyfive

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:50 am

So the info about the board is on the powerscore website, but no one has said they have heard it from a reliable LSAC source...heres the thred:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117954

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 am

itseightfortyfive wrote:So the info about the board is on the powerscore website, but no one has said they have heard it from a reliable LSAC source...heres the thred:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117954

Ah yeah, that was the thread I was referring to. Hmm, didn't realize it was through Powerscore and not LSAC.

Well, I'm actually about to drive to the testing center... after checking it out I'll know if I need to look into this further myself haha

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:01 am

I got one of the crappy small ones the first time I took it and it threw me a little bit. The center I am taking it at this time is a workforce training center and has big tables. I am pleased about this.

cord

Postby cord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 am

im about to sign up for oct lsats, how should i pick my test center? how do you guys know which places have which type of seating?

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:33 am

I tested at UVA and the first room was just a gathering site so that they could assign you a new room. The original room was what you described and the room I actually tested in was great with big long desks and swivel chairs. . .they even separated each test-taker by a seat so you had extra space. . .

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:37 am

cord wrote:im about to sign up for oct lsats, how should i pick my test center? how do you guys know which places have which type of seating?

Go check it out. Look at the available testing sites and make some calls. If it is university it might be tough because you won't know which room you will be in. For mine though it is a workforce training center and all of the rooms have large tables. Also Kaplan has a site that reviews the testing center sites. I don't know where the link is, but I am sure you could find it with a quick google search.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:43 am

itseightfortyfive wrote:My ticket says the room number. I've read through the forums and a lot of people have said that not every test center does assigned seating.

crysmissmichelle wrote:I tested at UVA and the first room was just a gathering site so that they could assign you a new room. The original room was what you described and the room I actually tested in was great with big long desks and swivel chairs. . .they even separated each test-taker by a seat so you had extra space. . .

My ticket also said a room number. But it was just where we met some of the LSAC people and they told us which room to go to based on our names. I kind of question that they'd have the test in an auditorium. Too many students to monitor and too easy to see the test of the kid in front of you.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:08 pm

theavrock wrote:Kaplan has a site that reviews the testing center sites. I don't know where the link is, but I am sure you could find it with a quick google search.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Good luck to everyone!

-Steve

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”