Best PT to take as the last one before Monday? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ltrutledge

New

Best PT to take as the last one before Monday?

Post by ltrutledge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm

I've already taken June 2009 soooo that's not an option. What did you guys take as your last PT?

LSAT Blog

Silver

Re: Best PT to take as the last one before Monday?

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Why not make the most recently released one (PT59=Dec 09) the last one you take before test day?

If you've already taken that, just take the most recent exam you haven't completed yet.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:18 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Why not make the most recently released one (PT59=Dec 09) the last one you take before test day?

If you've already taken that, just take the most recent exam you haven't completed yet.
The thing about PT 59 is that it might be a little more difficult than the average PT. Although the PT score might end up being similar to other PTs (b/c curve), I think my confidence would go down as a result of a lower raw score. What do you think of this? I was considering taking PT 59 a couple of PTs before test day, and instead take PT 58 as my last PT.

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:38 pm

PLATONiC wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:Why not make the most recently released one (PT59=Dec 09) the last one you take before test day?

The thing about PT 59 is that it might be a little more difficult than the average PT. Although the PT score might end up being similar to other PTs (b/c curve), I think my confidence would go down as a result of a lower raw score. What do you think of this? I was considering taking PT 59 a couple of PTs before test day, and instead take PT 58 as my last PT.
Eh, 59 is tougher, but honestly the curve is ridiculously in your favor. But, I would give yourself more time to review it, it had some interesting LR

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 pm

I recommend the most recent PT simply because it's most likely to resemble the current "direction" of the LSAT as it slowly evolves.

Because it's the best available representation of the current LSAT, performance on this PT is the best indicator of performance on Test Day.

If you find the generous "curve" of PT59 unsettling, then go ahead and make PT58 the final one (but definitely be sure to do PT59 at some point as well - I'm speaking more to ltrutledge than to PLATONIC on this one, of course). Confidence is extremely important as Test Day approaches.

(PLATONIC, as you suggested, the number that really matters is the one out of 180, not the raw score. Keep this in mind.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:51 pm

I'd say take 59 now so you can review it again tomorrow or Sunday, because it's a safe bet that you WILL miss several questions. 58 was a lot smoother sailing, definitely. I can see the psychological benefits of finishing off your prep with, say, a -8 for 172 rather than a -11 for 172. While the two scores are in all important respects equivalent, I think we'd all much rather miss 8 than 11.

And for what it's worth, I relied much more on the "well I don't like this answer all that much but the other 4 totally suck" strategy on PT59 than on any of the other 20 or so that I took. If you can see clearly why 4 of the answers are wrong but not the fifth, even if you don't see why it's correct, it probably is.

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:I recommend the most recent PT simply because it's most likely to resemble the current "direction" of the LSAT as it slowly evolves.

Because it's the best available representation of the current LSAT, performance on this PT is the best indicator of performance on Test Day.

If you find the generous "curve" of PT59 unsettling, then go ahead and make PT58 the final one (but definitely be sure to do PT59 at some point as well - I'm speaking more to ltrutledge than to PLATONIC on this one, of course). Confidence is extremely important as Test Day approaches.

(PLATONIC, as you suggested, the number that really matters is the one out of 180, not the raw score. Keep this in mind.)
See, my problem is that I found PT 58 and PT 59 to be drastically different tests in terms of difficulty and skills/material covered. In particular, I found the games to be more time-consuming and the LR to be trickier with more subtle wording on PT 59. For what its worth, I got a 171 on 58 and a 166 (with a bubbling error that would've pushed it to a 167) on 59. So I'm not totally sure what kind of direction the LSAT is taking- but hopefully it'll more closely resemble 58 than 59...

wjun15

Bronze

Post by wjun15 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:30 pm

59 was so much harder than 58...i missed like 10 more questions...SMH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”