Fordham and private tutoring Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
scungileen

New

Fordham and private tutoring

Post by scungileen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Okay - I need help making a decision. My law school of choice is Fordham. I am scheduled to take the LSAT on Monday. Honestly, with finals and papers during my last few weeks in school, it became impossible for me to devote the time I wanted to my Kaplan program. For the last two weeks I have been working hard between the Blue Print on-line course I have, seeing a tutor several times and taking proctored tests at my local Kaplan office. I raised my score from a 153 to a 158/160 (up and down) in the last two weeks.

These are my facts: I attend Trinity College in Hartford, Ct, I have a 3.73 GPA, my highest LSAT is a 158/160, I am a double major (political science/russian) with a minor in legal studies. I rowed for two years, I mentor and I am involved in some community service at my school.

This is my problem. Do I take the test and hope with those scores and the above information I can get into Fordham, or do I do a "no show" and schedule for October, hoping to raise my score by then? If you advise the latter, does anyone have a fantastic tutor in NY? I live on Long Island but I will travel into the city.

Oh, one more thing - does anyone out there know how hard it is to get into Fordham.

Cardboardbox

Bronze

Re: Fordham and private tutoring

Post by Cardboardbox » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Are we talking FT or PT? With that GPA and assuming you score in that LSAT range you'd def. be shut out of FT and most likely PT, if not WL.

Assuming you're going for FT you'd need at least a 164-165 to be confident to get a spot if you do EA. I don't have a tutor to suggest but I can tell you that since pretty much everyone (Fordham included) takes the highest score, it may be worthwhile to take this for the experience, whether you cancel or not and then take it again in October. All I can emphasize is, make sure to get everything lined up and to apply as early as possible. It does make a difference at Fordham that much is certain.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Either take the test on Monday and cancel right away or don't show up at all. Study like hell for October. You'll need a 166+ for a good shot at Fordham, so you better be consitently pt'ing in the lower 170's.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:22 pm

why 166+? my friend got in with 163 and 165 (second try) and she applied in late January.
SAE wrote:Either take the test on Monday and cancel right away or don't show up at all. Study like hell for October. You'll need a 166+ for a good shot at Fordham, so you better be consitently pt'ing in the lower 170's.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 pm

mz253 wrote:why 166+? my friend got in with 163 and 165 (second try) and she applied in late January.
Very likely that she was on the cusp; I'm talking about having a good realistic chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:34 pm

i don't know. but all i know is that most of my friends who got into law school have lower or median scores, including a couple of Yale Law students.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:19 pm

mz253 wrote:i don't know. but all i know is that most of my friends who got into law school have lower or median scores, including a couple of Yale Law students.
Well, obviously that can't hold true for everyone.

If you cancel, that counts as one of the three times you have to take the test. If you have an absence, it does not. I think it is silly to go into it knowing you are going to cancel. Wait until October until you are confident that you can get the score that you need. If you have been able to raise your score 5-7 points with little time to study, you should be able to raise it more with more intensive studying.

Fordham's 2009 medians were 3.64/166.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:42 pm

luxxe wrote:
mz253 wrote:i don't know. but all i know is that most of my friends who got into law school have lower or median scores, including a couple of Yale Law students.

If you cancel, that counts as one of the three times you have to take the test. If you have an absence, it does not. I think it is silly to go into it knowing you are going to cancel. Wait until October until you are confident that you can get the score that you need. If you have been able to raise your score 5-7 points with little time to study, you should be able to raise it more with more intensive studying.

i guess my point is that with a score a few points lower than the median will not automatically kill your chance. why he should't just apply?

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:04 pm

mz253 wrote:
luxxe wrote:

i guess my point is that with a score a few points lower than the median will not automatically kill your chance. why he should't just apply?
He should absolutely still apply if that is where he wants to go, but 158/3.74 doesn't seem to give him very good chances of getting in.

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Below 163/164, chances of getting in seem pretty bleak, but, of course, LSN is not representative of all applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”