why is Feb test bad?

fenway

why is Feb test bad?

Postby fenway » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:15 pm

i keep hearing that the february exam slot is not the choice of many, usually regarding some issue with it being non disclosed. i take that to mean you are not given your copy of the test back? i apologize if this is a dumb question, just someone please explain the negative implications of taking the exam in feb (besides it being in the early AM).

also, pretty funny link (watch at least from :45---on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2xs7POefg

Kilpatrick

Re: why is Feb test bad?

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Undisclosed means you can't ever look over the test and see what you got wrong, which sucks. But I think the reason most people don't take it is it's too late if you want to go to law school the same fall. If you're taking it early (for example Feb '11 to start law school Fall '12) and don't mind not being able to see where you went wrong then there's nothing wrong with Feb.

Locke N. Lawded

Postby Locke N. Lawded » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 pm

fenway wrote:i keep hearing that the february exam slot is not the choice of many, usually regarding some issue with it being non disclosed. i take that to mean you are not given your copy of the test back? i apologize if this is a dumb question, just someone please explain the negative implications of taking the exam in feb (besides it being in the early AM).

also, pretty funny link (watch at least from :45---on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2xs7POefg

I would say that the February exam is undesirable if you plan to matriculate the following fall. Typically, by February, law schools that do rolling admissions already have a large part of the class selected, and their scholarships awarded. You can submit an application before your LSAT results are out, but the admissions committees cannot approve you until the applications are complete. This greatly diminishes your chances to gain admission to your top choice schools unless you completely ace the test.

From dealings with the admissions office at my school, the Dean of Admissions is frank with students that the later you apply in the cycle, the better your stats have to be for consideration. At the beginning of the cycle, lower GPA/LSATs are more likely to be enough for admission with strong "softs". However, once it comes closer to April, the admissions office is looking for ways to protect or boost the median LSAT/GPA, and the requirements are more stringent and it really will come down to the LSAT.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:25 pm

If the February exams are all like the ones I took in that SuperPrep book (which are February tests)- then damn.. they were some of the hardest PT's I've taken...

fenway

Postby fenway » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Undisclosed means you can't ever look over the test and see what you got wrong, which sucks. But I think the reason most people don't take it is it's too late if you want to go to law school the same fall. If you're taking it early (for example Feb '11 to start law school Fall '12) and don't mind not being able to see where you went wrong then there's nothing wrong with Feb.

thanks man I appreciate it cuz' I am looking it take it for Feb 11' with the mindset that I could retake in June 11' and still be able to send out applications the day they open in September. non disclosure kind of sucks though if you don't meet your target since you wouldn't be able to work through what you got wrong. do you think it'd be a better call to take it first June 11' and then if need be take it Oct 11'? this would obviously work but I cannot hear enough about how important it is to get your application in as early as possible--which combo would you say is better?

Feb11 and June11
or
June11 and Oct11

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:30 pm

fenway wrote:which combo would you say is better?

Feb11 and June11
or
June11 and Oct11

Earlier is better. If you can be prepared to take it by Feb 11, take it then. That way if you retake in June 11, you can still apply at the very beginning of the cycle in the fall of 2011.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs. Stark

Postby Mrs. Stark » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 pm

I am also thinking of taking the LSAT in feb ... I go to school in the UK and i read somewhere that all the test administered over here are undisclosed is this true? I was also wondering if the Feb tests are generally different/harder than the others .

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”