"no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

User avatar
Aro5389
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:35 am

"no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby Aro5389 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

I've already decided I will take the October because I am not testing high enough at the moment. I was just curious which is the better option? Sorry if this has been posted already, couldn't find if it was. Thanks :)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 pm

It's been posted but:

If you don't show, it doesn't count against your three attempts.

If you do show you can take a practice attempt.

I'd go with no show. Cancel looks like you cracked under pressure, and leaves you with only two more shots.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Absolutely take it and then cancel. Schools don't really know if it is a no show or a cancel when it is this close to the test.

One cancel is not going to look bad. I canceled before because I was sick on the day of the test and I researched before I did so. I could find no school that took one cancel as a bigger negative than a no show.

Sitting for the test is an invaluable experience. You'll get a feel for how an actual test will go, especially if you will be testing in the same facility. This helped me much less nervous in my actual test and my cycle went a little better than my numbers predicted.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby autarkh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey-O wrote:Schools don't really know if it is a no show or a cancel when it is this close to the test.


This is flat wrong. There are different symbols on the LSAC score report for no-show and cancel.

To OP: By all means, make the choice that makes sense to you -- that MAY be sitting the test to get a feel for the actual pressure of test day. But make the decision with the proper information.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:45 pm

autarkh wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Schools don't really know if it is a no show or a cancel when it is this close to the test.


This is flat wrong. There are different symbols on the LSAC score report for no-show and cancel.


Sorry I wasn't clear, there is no difference between a test day cancellation and a no show.

Here is my source (not LSAC, I know)

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/ca ... -lsat.html

User avatar
bankruptedcasino
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby bankruptedcasino » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:57 pm

From all the things I read on admissions websites and by talking to admissions counselors, you're going to have to write a short addendum no matter what you decide to do. My two cents says sit for the exam to see how it feels, and adjust your Oct prep accordingly.

Nothing - I mean nothing - compares to the feel of the actual exam.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey-O wrote:
autarkh wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Schools don't really know if it is a no show or a cancel when it is this close to the test.


This is flat wrong. There are different symbols on the LSAC score report for no-show and cancel.


Sorry I wasn't clear, there is no difference between a test day cancellation and a no show.

Here is my source (not LSAC, I know)

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/ca ... -lsat.html


I think you misread my blog post. I explicitly said in it:

"However, score reports do distinguish between score cancellations and absences."

I referred to the fact that the score reports won't distinguish between:

-people who canceled because Test Day didn't go as planned
-people who canceled because they simply didn't postpone their test date in time

Perhaps that's where the confusion arose.

-Steve

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:01 pm

bankruptedcasino wrote:From all the things I read on admissions websites and by talking to admissions counselors, you're going to have to write a short addendum no matter what you decide to do. My two cents says sit for the exam to see how it feels, and adjust your Oct prep accordingly.

Nothing - I mean nothing - compares to the feel of the actual exam.


It isn't real if know you will cancel, and aren't under any stress.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby autarkh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:03 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear, there is no difference between a test day cancellation and a no show.

Here is my source (not LSAC, I know)

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/ca ... -lsat.html

I think you misread my blog post. I explicitly said in it:

"However, score reports do distinguish between score cancellations and absences."

I referred to the fact that the score reports won't distinguish between:

-people who canceled because Test Day didn't go as planned
-people who canceled because they simply didn't postpone their test date in time

Perhaps that's where the confusion arose.

-Steve


Uh... but they DO distinguish between not postponing in time (absence) vs. showing up and canceling (cancellation).

If you cancel, your score report will show a " * ", which, according to the legend, means "No Reportable Score -- Data Canceled".

If you're absent, you'll see a " - ", which means "No Reportable Score -- Absent or Score Delayed"

There is a difference, EVEN IF you do not call in advance and simply do not show up.

If you postpone in time, NOTHING goes on the record.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby cubswin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bankruptedcasino wrote:From all the things I read on admissions websites and by talking to admissions counselors, you're going to have to write a short addendum no matter what you decide to do. My two cents says sit for the exam to see how it feels, and adjust your Oct prep accordingly.

Nothing - I mean nothing - compares to the feel of the actual exam.


It isn't real if know you will cancel, and aren't under any stress.


Ha. Very nice reductio ad absurdum on that argument for taking it.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 pm

autarkh wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:I think you misread my blog post. I explicitly said in it:

"However, score reports do distinguish between score cancellations and absences."

I referred to the fact that the score reports won't distinguish between:

-people who canceled because Test Day didn't go as planned
-people who canceled because they simply didn't postpone their test date in time

Perhaps that's where the confusion arose.

-Steve


Uh... but they DO distinguish between not postponing in time (absence) vs. showing up and canceling (cancellation).

If you cancel, your score report will show a " * ", which, according to the legend, means "No Reportable Score -- Data Canceled".

If you're absent, you'll see a " - ", which means "No Reportable Score -- Absent or Score Delayed"

There is a difference, EVEN IF you do not call in advance and simply do not show up.

If you postpone in time, NOTHING goes on the record.



Yes, we're in complete agreement. Score reports make a distinction between cancellations and absences.

I'm only pointing out that it's possible for someone to show up, take it, and cancel simply because they didn't postpone in time.

Score reports do not make a distinction between:

-cancellations due to a problem on Test Day itself
-cancellations due to failure to postpone in time

In other words, they don't distinguish between the reason for the cancellation.

I brought up that ambiguity as a potential reason for Hey-O misinterpretation of my blog post.

Hope this clears things up.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby autarkh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Yes, we're in complete agreement. Score reports make a distinction between cancellations and absences.

I'm only pointing out that it's possible for someone to show up, take it, and cancel simply because they didn't postpone in time.

Score reports do not make a distinction between:

-cancellations due to a problem on Test Day itself
-cancellations due to failure to postpone in time

In other words, they don't distinguish between the reason for the cancellation.

I brought up that ambiguity as a potential reason for Hey-O misinterpretation of my blog post.

Hope this clears things up.


Oh. I see what you're saying. Hehe. I didn't even consider that someone would think that they could show up and expect to be able to indicate the reason for cancellation.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 pm

People who missed the dealdine want LSAC to mark it down as something unique, but LSAC lumps together postponement-deadline-missers with people who cancel due to a problem on Test Day.

Like I said, the deadline creates a certain ambiguity over the reason for the ambiguity.

This whole postponement thing is frustrating for a lot of people. They don't understand why LSAC has made the deadline so early.

(It's to reduce the number of people who just don't show up - turns out that it may have the opposite of the intended effect. Sound familiar?)

People who simply missed the postponement deadline don't want law schools to think that they had a Test Day freakout.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby autarkh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:People who missed the dealdine want LSAC to mark it down as something unique, but LSAC lumps together postponement-deadline-missers with people who cancel due to a problem on Test Day.

Like I said, the deadline creates a certain ambiguity over the reason for the ambiguity.

This whole postponement thing is frustrating for a lot of people. They don't understand why LSAC has made the deadline so early.

(It's to reduce the number of people who just don't show up - turns out that it may have the opposite of the intended effect. Sound familiar?)

People who simply missed the postponement deadline don't want law schools to think that they had a Test Day freakout.


Now I'm confused again.

LSAC DOES differentiate between missing a postponement deadline and canceling on test day.

What you can't do is show up, cancel -- possibly before even seeing the test -- and have it be differentiated from someone that took the test and ultimately decided, that same day, to cancel.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Let me rephrase what I said a moment ago (and apologize for not being 100% clear in my previous post):

People who missed the deadline but show up with the intention of canceling (or who take it and cancel simply because they missed the deadline) want LSAC to mark it down as something unique, but LSAC lumps together postponement-deadline-missers with people who cancel due to a problem on Test Day.


autarkh wrote:What you can't do is show up, cancel -- possibly before even seeing the test -- and have it be differentiated from someone that took the test and ultimately decided, that same day, to cancel.


YES. :)

User avatar
Aro5389
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:35 am

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby Aro5389 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Thank you all for your responses. After reading through this debate, I am still not quite sure what to do. The no-show not counting toward my 3 attempts makes me lean a little bit toward the no-show option, but realistically I probably won't take it again after October, but as they say "you never know".

Are there any other reasons I should consider? The original reason I was leaning toward no-show was because I know some schools take only your first attempt, and I'm just worried I will score much higher in October and get excited I'll have a great shot at making it into my desired school and then get shot down (though understandably nothing is guaranteed). I just figured a no-show is the better option against this scenario.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: "no show" vs. taking the LSAT and canceling

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:29 pm

bankruptedcasino wrote:Nothing - I mean nothing - compares to the feel of the actual exam.
I think this depends a little on the person, though. I always had a lot riding on practice exams emotionally, because I knew how upset I'd be if I didn't do well, so the real exam didn't feel any different in terms of stress.

Aro5389 wrote:I know some schools take only your first attempt
Really? Which schools? I've never heard that before.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SunDevil14 and 9 guests