Testmaters self-study materials w/ PowerScore Bible??

Testmaters self-study materials w/ PowerScore Bible??

Postby greenchair » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm in a location that does not have LSAT courses, so I must self-study. I thought up of this plan, and I'm asking for your opinion. If I say so myself, I think it's pretty brilliant, but I have a feeling that I am just informed and it's in fact a big waste of money. It'd be great if you could inform me of that fact before I waste hundreds of dollars..

My Plan:
I am thinking of buying the Testmasters self-study materials ($725) and supplementing it with the PowerScore Bibles ($100ish total). You might say to yourself... well, that's rather redundant and unnecessary... Please read on.

TM's self-study materials have ALL 6000+ LSAT problems in forms of categorized HW problems and diagnostic tests. The TM materials DO NOT come with the strategies taught in actual TM classes, but it comes with: online definitions quizzes, the flawed methods of reasoning, written explanations for the most difficult and challenging homework problems, 30 hours of instructional video, the LSAT Search Engine, and the ability to self-score supplemental diagnostics.

Because I need to learn strategies, I plan on supplementing this with the PS Bibles' strategies and occasional private tutoring. I chose PS because I heard it's an off-shoot of TM and is really basically the same thing.

Now I understand that this is not the most cost-effective way to go about this, but I want to use every single PT problem in the most efficient way possible -- that is, without risking the possibility of unintentionally repeating past problems. I won't be using PS Bible's sample problems, because I don't want to unintentionally ruin a PT. TM materials are configured so that they DO NOT USE problems from their 12 diagnostic tests in their practice problems.

This option is about $400 more expensive than simply purchasing all the problems in the way of published practice exams and working them through the PS Bible. However, the added perks are enticing:
1. I get to legally obtain questions from PT 39, 41 and 42
2. I don't have to classify the question types on my own
3. I won't accidentally repeat a problem
4. I'll make use of every single available LSAT problem effectively
5. It comes with online TM material that can be useful

Am I completely wrong and wasting money? Please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Re: Testmaters self-study materials w/ PowerScore Bible??

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:55 am

Seems like you've thought it through, and I get the benefits, but WOW that's a lot to spend for self-study! Personally, to give you my own anecdotal experience, I used the PowerScore bibles and the released tests for a couple of months and was reasonably happy with my results. I wish I'd started studying earlier and used the bibles more, but...c'est la vie. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”