Anyone prep without Powerscore???

The ASSET

Anyone prep without Powerscore???

Postby The ASSET » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:06 am

While the obsession with Powerscore LGB is warranted , some of you must have gotten great scores without it. What did you use?

tomwatts

Re: Anyone prep without Powerscore???

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 am

Cracking the LSAT + a bunch of real PTs. Cracking the LSAT has good strategies, So read it for that, but it doesn't have real questions, so then do the 10 Actuals series and some recent (PT 50+) tests for practice on real questions. Worked pretty darn well for me.

Uh, or a course, as per our discussion earlier.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 am

half of a kaplan book

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am

Yes, I prepped for a few months with Kaplan. The result was nothing to brag about, I'd probably be laughed off these boards. I experienced an increase, sure, but my real breakthrough didn't come until I started religiously using PowerScore methods. YMMV.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 am

I didn't use Powerscore at all. My first diagnostic was a 155, and I got a 171 on the test. I took a Princeton Review course, which was good, but nowhere near enough. In the course, you need to do ALL off the homework properly. I also self-studied for about 3 months after the course, and used the homework I had not done, and a Princeton Review book off all LR and RC. I was pretty decent at LG from the get go, so I didn't need a lot of extra help there. After the course, I just did timed sections on RC (my worst section) and then PT after PT (I probably took about 30 on my own).

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am

LGB is good, but there are a lot of setups that can be simplified more // their methods are a little too tedious sometimes resulting in lost time.

I've never been bad at logic games by any means, I diag'd with -3 in LG's, so after just learning set ups for game types from PS and a few other companies, I just found what works for me. It's the section I nearly ignore completely during prep, and I am a solid -0/-1.

I think Nova's is really good for RC, a lot better than PS:RCB. As for LR, I think getting more than one prep company can help. Personally, I like BP and TM's approach to LR questions.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I have not taken the LSAT yet, so my results haven't been proven, but this morning I just did LG 45 in 26 minutes at a (-0). I think that is one of the easiest LG sets out there.

But I have prepped without the games bible. It wasn't out of choice. It wasn't available at my bookstore and by the time I realised I would like it, it would take too long to ship. I was studying in a bit of a vacuum before I joined this forum, so I didn't realise it was required.

I started at a (-12) on timed games and (-2 to 0) on untimed games. So I knew I had the aptitude, I just needed to get the speed up.

I got a few notes from the largely useless McGraw-Hill LSAT prep book, but mainly I just did LG over and over and over. I would try to figure out how to set up the figures better. I would try to determine when I should run all the options, when I make a new figure each time. I have put 40-60 solid hours into LG. I did mindless drills. I did mindful drills. I learned to look for trigger words ("could be true" took me a while, but it usually means you will set up a full game with 2-3 options and the answer will be one of the options).

What I read here abut the importance of grinding and many people saying LG was learnable was very useful, as I studied for a week with no improvement (hit (-5) and stalled), but I just kept grinding and finally (with some bumps) started to hit (-1).

I am going through the Difficult games for the second time and redoing any that took over 10 minutes. After that I will download LG 57 and try the dino game set. If I can do that I will feel ready (though being forwarned will change that dynamic).

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I glanced through a couple books at a bookstore, but their methods just confused me more than they helped. So I ended up just taking practice tests and devising my own methods. It worked out.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:41 pm

I took a Kaplan course and didn't do much else. Diagnostic, which was completely cold (literally knew only what the sections were about, had done zero prep at the point), was high 150s. I saw a steady increase in scores until I got to the high 160s, where a plateaued. Actual score was 167.

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Took the diagnostic having never looked at the test and got a 144. Bought a logic games prep book, a book with 10 previous lsats, then rented a couple prep books from the library mainly for the practice test explanations. Studied for about 2 months with the last 2 weeks taking a practice test every other day and ended up with a 161.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I don't know anyone who used Powerscore. Most of my friends just used Blueprint or Testmasters.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm

As the above posters have mentioned, the LGB is a fantastic tool for learning how to approach and crack LG... BUT it's not a save-all. I'm not a huge fan of how powerscore approaches sequencing games, switched to Atlas' method and now I can breeze through pure sequencing games. Don't get me wrong, the LGB laid down all the framework that has helping me achieve perfection on LG on 50% of my tests (the rest being -1 or -2 at worst), but part of LG is figuring out which method makes the most sense to you.

The ASSET

Postby The ASSET » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Yeah, any info on Atlas or Blueprint would be great as it refers to lg

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm an Atlas teacher. If you want to poke around on our site and forum, you'll see that we're pretty transparent about what we do and how we approach the games - you can check out recordings of workshops, download chapters from the books, or sign-up for a free hour of tutoring.
I'm happy to answer any questions about our approach.

Good luck!

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:21 pm

I didn't have powerscore because I couldn't find it in any book stores and didn't want to buy it sight unseen off the Internet. I am a -1 or -2 on LG with a lot of -0. I don't have any problem with time. I just did lots and lots and lots and lots of logic games. I use my own system.

DON'T USE MCGRAW HILL! It sucks.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:34 pm

The ASSET wrote:Yeah, any info on Atlas or Blueprint would be great as it refers to lg

We at Blueprint break apart the games by type, starting with the simplest ones to build your skills, and then we gradually throw harder and harder ones at you while giving you increasingly more sophisticated tools to deal with them. There are pdf/video explanations for all the games in the homework as well so you can get instant answers. There's also an email helpline. You can check out samples online at our website to get a feel for the videos, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

http://www.blueprintprep.com/video/videosample.php

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey-O wrote:I didn't have powerscore because I couldn't find it in any book stores and didn't want to buy it sight unseen off the Internet. I am a -1 or -2 on LG with a lot of -0. I don't have any problem with time. I just did lots and lots and lots and lots of logic games. I use my own system.

DON'T USE MCGRAW HILL! It sucks.

Yeah, I was a bit clueless when I bought it. I read no reviews, just picked it up. I thought the tests were actual LSAT tests. Then I started to seriously disagree with a couple answers and noted that on the CD the correct answer would be written and a different answer circled (or vice versa). So I started looking for an erratta sheet/website and found a host of negative reviews.

Then I pretty much ditched it. (I still did all the LG from it). I think it was fine for the first week or two of study, but it set up a schedule of prepping for the LSAT in a month with about 12 hours a week of study, which meant I seriously underestimated how much work was required to improve a score significantly and I was pretty annoyed at my lack of progress. I thought one should be able to improve 10-15 points with a month of easy study.

HA!

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:46 pm

The formal logic sections in both LR and LG bibles were invaluable. The rest was a permissible waste of time. I worked out my own methods of solving the games, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without formal logic. Frankly, after around 50 PT's, I can say that nothing beats practice, practice, practice. The LSAT test makers do everything they can to make the test unlearnable. No concise explanation will let you crack any particular question or game type. But they're human, and they repeat themselves, and you do get a feel for both games and LR questions after doing scores of them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”