Here I am..I need some Advice Please!!!

Oblivion_08

Here I am..I need some Advice Please!!!

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 am

I am averaging at about a 148-150. And I am gunning for a 162. Is there any chance I get close to a 162 if the highest I have done is a 155?

This is my first time signing up and thought June would be convenient because school would not be in the way and it starts at 12:30. If I decide to take it in October, can someone refer me to a good study plan?

typ3

Re: Here I am..I need some Advice Please!!!

Postby typ3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 am

In your case, I would hold off until Oct. Read the stickied threads on the front of the forum. "Pithy Pike's Guide" and "How to get a 160+"

Also google LSAT blog or wait for the owner of it to troll this thread and read up on study guides there.

jamesieee

Postby jamesieee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:06 am

Ludicrously slim. If you really, seriously want a 162, postpone until October and study the hell out of the test.

mstaten

Postby mstaten » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:42 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:I am averaging at about a 148-150. And I am gunning for a 162. Is there any chance I get close to a 162 if the highest I have done is a 155?

Interesting question... :roll: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no.

Take a look at this and see if it floats your fancy: LSAT BLOG Study Schedules

I sincerely hope that I'm not breaking forum rules by posting the above link.

Mike19

Postby Mike19 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:51 am

the vast majority of people who see gains like the one you want to see are people who didn't study properly. For instance, if your prep tests were taken in a relaxed environment then you might be more focused on the test day. But again. Slim Chance.

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am

yes there is a chance. Regardless how slim it may be, I say take the exam and retake it after massive amounts of study for the fall date. I think it is essential if you have a concrete goal as far as score goes to find out how you perform under "real life" test conditions. Better to get that out of the way early on. Gives you months to study diligently and really bang out those areas that you are a tad weak on. I would rather have a score than no score and really be able to know what I need to do over the next few months if anything at all. Worst case scenario you have a somewhat weak score and I would say that if you end up beating it by 10 or more points in the fall the addendum you attach is just another way for you to showcase your determination, skills, etc....

Just my opinion of course. The real world functions of performance, real events. What is to be gained by postponing the inevitable. Go in there and blow it out.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Great advice guys thanks. Having a low score in the high 140's low 150's won't hurt me too much? I know Pepperdine takes the best score and they don't average out. Heck maybe I should just take the test, and see how I do...

jamesieee

Postby jamesieee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm

goawaybee wrote:yes there is a chance. Regardless how slim it may be, I say take the exam and retake it after massive amounts of study for the fall date. I think it is essential if you have a concrete goal as far as score goes to find out how you perform under "real life" test conditions. Better to get that out of the way early on. Gives you months to study diligently and really bang out those areas that you are a tad weak on. I would rather have a score than no score and really be able to know what I need to do over the next few months if anything at all. Worst case scenario you have a somewhat weak score and I would say that if you end up beating it by 10 or more points in the fall the addendum you attach is just another way for you to showcase your determination, skills, etc....

Just my opinion of course. The real world functions of performance, real events. What is to be gained by postponing the inevitable. Go in there and blow it out.

By your logic, everyone should take the real LSAT once before studying for it. You use the diagnostic - rigorously self-administer it or sign up for one of those Kaplan ones - to "find out how you perform," not the actual test. You only get three chances. Why use one when you pretty much know you're not going to get the score you want?

OP: even if you're applying this cycle, you still have three more chances after June. Do the October one, and if you have to, retake in December and/or February.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 am

I mean honestly..has no one ever gotten a 5-10 point increase on an LSAT? Let's see i'm taking 2 more PT's before Monday. I'll make my decision later.

mstaten

Postby mstaten » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:21 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:I mean honestly..has no one ever gotten a 5-10 point increase on an LSAT? Let's see i'm taking 2 more PT's before Monday. I'll make my decision later.

The fact of the matter is, you are not achieving your target score on practice tests. Therefore, IMHO, you will not achieve a 162 on the actual. I could very well be wrong; however, I'm just giving you a straightforward response. I have heard of a FEW people scoring a FEW extra points higher on the actual than they were on the practice tests, but not 5-10 points higher.

Once again, it's your life. You call the shots. No one knows you, like you do. At the end of the day, you have to live with whatever decision you make. Make a good one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”