What is the deal with RC in the 50s??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Saltqjibo

Bronze

What is the deal with RC in the 50s???

Post by Saltqjibo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 am

Seriously, I'm comfortable reading dense texts, can polish off most good size books in a day or two. Had no trouble with earlier RC. But when I got to the 50s it was like a whole new ball game. The questions seem so convoluted at times and often about seemingly irrelevant parts of the text. Not only that, but the topics are a snoozefest now. How many passages about copyright law and textile production can they dig up? (atleast 'riddled basins of attraction' was interesting). I found I really have to kick it into hyper drive for these sections. I almost need the same manic focus I need to do well in LG, except instead of busting out five hypos, I'm rescanning the passage multiple times at lightning speed searching for that crucial sentence. I'm not even sure they're testing reading comprehension anymore, maybe 'speed reading'?

dogmatic slumber

New

Re: What is the deal with RC in the 50s???

Post by dogmatic slumber » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 am

Agree. It's more Where's Waldo than reading comprehension. Maybe RC scores got too high and they decided to shake it up.

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 am

Funny, until I hit the 50's I couldn't crack -9 but on every 50+ test I scored -3 or better.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 am

I see..the problem then has to be the amount of focus u put in. I always catch myself thinking about something else in the middle of a passage, then I get the question wrong pertaining to it.

The older tests are much easier and more straight forward.

Confused&Pissed

New

Post by Confused&Pissed » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 am

dogmatic slumber wrote:Agree. It's more Where's Waldo than reading comprehension. Maybe RC scores got too high and they decided to shake it up.

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:48 am

I think you just have to get used to the new style in the 50s RC. I got between -0 to -3 in older passages and then started getting -6 to -8. Now I am more back into the old range the more I do these tests.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:47 am

PlugInBaby wrote:I think you just have to get used to the new style in the 50s RC. I got between -0 to -3 in older passages and then started getting -6 to -8. Now I am more back into the old range the more I do these tests.

+1

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:02 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:I think you just have to get used to the new style in the 50s RC. I got between -0 to -3 in older passages and then started getting -6 to -8. Now I am more back into the old range the more I do these tests.

+1
The problem with me is that I'm a little bit retarded, so I need a lot of examples in order to get used to a new style of anything. There aren't as many PTs available that are representative of the new RC style. I'm definitely getting the feel of the new "LR" style, though. The LGs are cake for me.

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:14 am

What is the deal with the emphasis on artists adapting the oral tradition to literature or film. I think today was the third passage I've seen with that or a similar topic in the 50s?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

balzern

Bronze

Post by balzern » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 am

haha yeah or something about immigrants adjusting to new cultures......or cotton fiber comparisons FML.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Some of the questions force me to sit back and laugh. The cotton fiber one was absurd.

I've too noticed the "Where's waldo" game they like to play, which eats away at your time.

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Yeah, I have noticed many more "bet you can't find the answer to THIS in your memory!" questions on the newer tests. My strength is in my short-term, overall-concept memory, so I really hate all these nitpicky search-and-destroy questions.

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm

don't feel bad, i'm on the opposite side of the fence. i usually remember nitpicky details and miss the overarching concepts. my worst i think is "the author used this phrase in order to:..."

overall, i avg -3 to -5 on latest RC. my worst section :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”