PT 58 Section 4 #23

nonamebreakdown

PT 58 Section 4 #23

Postby nonamebreakdown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 pm

I chose A. Apparently, B is the correct answer, but it seems to me like B weakens the conclusion rather than strengthens it.

Conclusion: It was probably a volcano.
Answer choice B) no known natural cause would account for this phenomenon.

Can someone please explain to me how this strengthens the claim that it was a volcano?

jpSartre

Re: PT 58 Section 4 #23

Postby jpSartre » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Conclusion: caused by a volcano, not meteors.

B says "no known natural cause would likely account for eight meteorite carters of different ages forming a straight line.

If there's no known way for meteorites to cause the phenomenon, and it was either caused by meteors or a volcano, then it was caused by a volcano.

nonamebreakdown

Postby nonamebreakdown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm

jpSartre wrote:Conclusion: caused by a volcano, not meteors.

B says "no known natural cause would likely account for eight meteorite carters of different ages forming a straight line.

If there's no known way for meteorites to cause the phenomenon, and it was either caused by meteors or a volcano, then it was caused by a volcano.

This makes perfect sense. If it was either A or B and it wasn't A, then it was B. Sure. I guess what I'm confused about is...wouldn't volcanic events qualify as a natural cause? If they do, then B weakens the conclusion.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:39 pm

nonamebreakdown wrote:
jpSartre wrote:Conclusion: caused by a volcano, not meteors.

This makes perfect sense. If it was either A or B and it wasn't A, then it was B. Sure. I guess what I'm confused about is...wouldn't volcanic events qualify as a natural cause? If they do, then B weakens the conclusion.

I see what you're saying. But in the answer choice, "natural cause" is qualified to only apply to meteorites. You gotta remember to take it as one phrase: "no natural cause.. for 8 meteorite craters."

It says noting about natural causes for anything but meteorites.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”