-9 on RC

PLATONiC

-9 on RC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 pm

LR 1: -3
LR 2: -1
LG: -0

BUT -9 on RC.

WTF do i do?????????????????????? I have until the 27th of this month until the Asia June LSAT. Any inputs would be awesomely appreciated.

UnclaimedGas

Re: -9 on RC

Postby UnclaimedGas » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:18 pm

RC is generally the hardest to gain dramatic improvement in, so don't fret too much. One advice that helped me a lot for RC was to skip (do a random guess, or perhaps eliminate 1-2 obviously wrong choices and then guess) a question you are not sure on. If you have to go back and read more than a 1-2 lines to figure out the answer, then just skip it. While this time management strategy applies to all sections in the LSAT, it is probably the most applicable to RC, because in RC, you will be able to answer most questions with near 100% certainty when you actually get to it. There are very few "trick" questions (usually none). So it is imperative that you read all passages and questions.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 pm

UnclaimedGas wrote:in RC, you will be able to answer most questions with near 100% certainty when you actually get to it. .

Do you mean that you pretty much answer most of the questions based on what you've retained in your head by reading the passage?

I noticed that in the newer RC passages, there is usually a really easy passage and a really hard passage. I'm seriously contemplating a "skip" question or passage strategy considering the fact that my RC scores are so low. If I pull off -5 on RC, I'd be hitting the 170s.

OG Loc

Postby OG Loc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 pm

PLATONiC wrote:LR 1: -3
LR 2: -1
LG: -0

BUT -9 on RC.

WTF do i do?????????????????????? I have until the 27th of this month until the Asia June LSAT. Any inputs would be awesomely appreciated.

I think the issue for people who have this problem (myself included) is that the passive nature of reading a longish passage causes us to lose interest and focus. LG and LR are much more active processes - you have to quickly and repeatedly respond to the questions/diagram the games, and there is little time to lose focus because you are continuously critically thinking and "doing," and not just reading. I think the key is to make the reading of the passage a more active exercise for yourself; each time an author finishes a thought, summarize it to yourself in your mind. If he is using logic, try to question it/break it down. If he is offering opinions, agree or disagree with them. Try to be interested in the subject that is being written about. This way you are continuously engaging yourself and focus is improved.

What I also did was read a few nonfiction books on subjects that interested me and read at a similar level to the LSAT. I mean really, actively, read them - as if I were to be tested on the material afterward. I'm not sure what your background is, but being an engineer I hardly ever had to sit down and read chapters from a textbook in college, so simply reading more made a huge difference in my comfort and performance on RC (the books I read were "Infrastructure" by Brian Hayes and "Energy Law in a Nutshell).

I also found that holding my pencil under the line that I am reading helps my focus, as does not trying to read too quickly such that I miss important points. Also, before you take the exam, read something right beforehand to get yourself "warmed up."

All in all I got my RC performance to about the same levels as my other sections, and my retake score bumped me to 172 from 167. Good luck...

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 pm

I feel your pain...I usually hit like a maximum of -4 on RC just took PT 58 -2LR1, -2 LR2, -1LG, -7RC !!!!! Are you freaking kidding me. I must have been reading a different passage than the one in my test booklet. I am so freaking angry. I have this stupid test on Monday and I obviously just cant get my shit together... :twisted:

nonamebreakdown

Postby nonamebreakdown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Confused&Pissed wrote:I feel your pain...I usually hit like a maximum of -4 on RC just took PT 58 -2LR1, -2 LR2, -1LG, -7RC !!!!! Are you freaking kidding me. I must have been reading a different passage than the one in my test booklet. I am so freaking angry. I have this stupid test on Monday and I obviously just cant get my shit together... :twisted:

I got the same on that RC section today. F'd up on the parallel computers passage.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 pm

nonamebreakdown wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:I feel your pain...I usually hit like a maximum of -4 on RC just took PT 58 -2LR1, -2 LR2, -1LG, -7RC !!!!! Are you freaking kidding me. I must have been reading a different passage than the one in my test booklet. I am so freaking angry. I have this stupid test on Monday and I obviously just cant get my shit together... :twisted:

I got the same on that RC section today. F'd up on the parallel computers passage.

You sound very angry;;;

I'm praying for a -5 on RC during test day. I hit the 170s only three times so far, which really sucks, because the only reason my scores dip below that threshold is the RC scores. I have 11 Preptests remaining, so I'm hoping that I can just use this time to maintain/solidify my current LR/LG levels while keeping my fingers crossed for an easy or interesting RC passage on testday.

But I really do think one of the problems for me is the active reading issue. I think I lack the mental endurance to be engaged for the whole three minutes while reading an RC passage. LR and LG offers split-second breaks that let me get my shit together, but I noticed that in the middle of the third paragraph on an RC passage, I'm thinking about what I'm going to be eating for lunch.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 pm

like the poster above mentioned, try to stay active in the passage. in the beginning see if you can find out the way that the info is organized (chron/facts/opinions/arguments for each sub., etc..) and as you go through the passage, you will begin to notice, and hopefully pick out the important details relating to the structure of the passage. this can usually help you focus and remain engaged. hth - also, i'm prepping for the test but this has seemed to work for me.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:like the poster above mentioned, try to stay active in the passage. in the beginning see if you can find out the way that the info is organized (chron/facts/opinions/arguments for each sub., etc..) and as you go through the passage, you will begin to notice, and hopefully pick out the important details relating to the structure of the passage. this can usually help you focus and remain engaged. hth - also, i'm prepping for the test but this has seemed to work for me.

The saddest thing is that I've done more than 40 PTs so far, and I'm still bad at it.

But as to your recommendation, what do you think about just writing down (briefly) the content/organization of a paragraph after reading it, while tossing out the entire "underline"/"boxing" method on RC? I feel like if I have a goal (which in this case would be to 'write a summary' of the paragraph), I think I'll feel much more engaged. But I'm worried about my ability to catch important details here and there. There's also the problem of having to reference "key terms" while tackling the questions.

Maybe I could "box" key terms only, while never underlining? That might save me time, while also conferring the advantages of reading with a sense of purpose (writing a summary next to each paragraph).

I feel sorry for anyone who has had to read through this deliberative process of mine... :D

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Honestly at this point dont worry to much about it. You are doing awesome on the other sections. Try slowing down, it helped me a lot. In other words dont get frantic.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:09 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Honestly at this point dont worry to much about it. You are doing awesome on the other sections. Try slowing down, it helped me a lot. In other words dont get frantic.

The point at issue for me is that I'm consistently scoring around the -7 to -9 range. Of course I'd freak out!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 am

Platonic, have you tried really slowing down and just trying to get three passages 100% correct? I think I might try this-- a little late because I'm taking it Monday but 57 RC was a disaster for me.

Didn't miss any on the first one, missed three easy ones on the second- misbubbled one, didn't miss any on Cather but spent too much time on it, and then ran into a monster 4th passage with 5 mins left. Half skimmed / half guessed and managed to miss EVERY SINGLE QUESTION on that one.

Needless to say, I am a little worried.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:12 am

bartleby wrote:Platonic, have you tried really slowing down and just trying to get three passages 100% correct? I think I might try this-- a little late because I'm taking it Monday but 57 RC was a disaster for me.

Didn't miss any on the first one, missed three easy ones on the second- misbubbled one, didn't miss any on Cather but spent too much time on it, and then ran into a monster 4th passage with 5 mins left. Half skimmed / half guessed and managed to miss EVERY SINGLE QUESTION on that one.

rather than slow down, i found it far more helpful to speed up and just skim the passages. when you read slowly, you retain information you don't end up needing. better to just skim the passage, then check back and verify the answer on every question. for me, this took less time and improved my accuracy anyway.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 am

Haha, I have a lot to figure out by Monday...

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 am

IAFG wrote:
bartleby wrote:Platonic, have you tried really slowing down and just trying to get three passages 100% correct? I think I might try this-- a little late because I'm taking it Monday but 57 RC was a disaster for me.

rather than slow down, i found it far more helpful to speed up and just skim the passages. when you read slowly, you retain information you don't end up needing. better to just skim the passage, then check back and verify the answer on every question. for me, this took less time and improved my accuracy anyway.

You miss all of the what is the author's "tone" questions that way. I have tried that when time's running low, and although I got more right than I would have if I went in there blind. But you drop the subliminal in the process because you end up reading it all anyway.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:42 am

I've done okay on RC and I'm starting to get the newer ones down that I have struggled with (-1 and 0 on last 2). What really helped me was simply underlining the passage as I go. I often literally underline every sentence in the passage, pressing harder for thicker lines on stuff that is really important. I also throw in liberal doses of exclamation marks, circles, brackets and slashes without much rhyme or reason. ! is usually something I think is a good point... circle is usually an interesting or important word, phrase or name - I use slashes to delineate begginings and ends of explanations, anologies, or examples. I also throw a few words or abbreviations beside the paragraphs (i.e. example, analogy, 'but' for a critical turn of the passage or 'dumb' for something I don't agree with) also maybe jot out quick diagrams of ideas for science passages (i.e. for the drought passage, draw causal chain showing how temp dif leads to drought etc.) . By the time I'm done with it I can barely read it again to refer back through all my markings.

However, I don't think I've ever actually used my marking, except maybe to find a circled name, it is just what gets me into the passage and makes me feel like I'm doing something or solving something instead of being passive. I think it has helped me alot, but you might be different. Actually, interestingly enough, underlining for RC has developed into such a habit that I underline all the LR stems as I go along to, just because it feels more natural and helps me focus.

Oh and when I'm marking up RC, I certainly don't put much thought into my markings. If you looked over my used passages you would see some really useless things circled, probably just because I was losing focus and felt like circling something. on the PT I have right here i've literally circled "in general" and "one company" for no apparent reason.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”