Getting over the plateau Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
typ3

Silver

Getting over the plateau

Post by typ3 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm

I've been stuck at a score plateau 166-169 for almost a month now. (Taking the June Test--- hopefully not again in October)

By section I normally miss.

-1 LG, -3 Per LR, -5 RC.

My RC hasn't improved since I started studying (Diag at 161), but my LR and LG have. (-13 LR to -6, and -3 LG to -1)

Anyone have any tips for getting over the plateau. I don't miss a certain question type more than others in LR, but I do seem to struggle with humanities passages in RC. Sciences and Law passages I'm flawless. Any tips that worked for people to get over the hump?

Barouche

New

Re: Getting over the plateau

Post by Barouche » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:11 pm

For RC, what helped me was slowly going over each question and thinking about why each correct answer was correct and why each wrong answer was wrong. You can write it out (this is painful, but it forces you to verbalize the reasons for right/wrong). Or you can say it out, either to yourself or to a patient person. There are patterns in the LSAT and really thinking about why right answers are right and why wrong ones are wrong helps you see these and improves accuracy. If speed is a problem, you have to mentally condition yourself by doing many passages in a row and timing yourself.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I have been lucky and have never had problems with speed on the LSAT.

My LR sections I normally finish 2-5 minutes early.

RC about 2 minutes.

And LG with about 2-3 minutes.

Perhaps, it's a problem with my reviewing at this point.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:27 pm

If your finishing RC with time left and getting -5, slow down. I was averaging -5/6 on RC and finishing with 2-3 minutes left. I am now averaging -3 but barely finishing the sections. Also when I begin a section I look over all 4 passages quickly and do the easier ones first. I usually write 1,2,3, or 4 on top of the passages and do them in that order. This way the passage I find the most difficult or most draining I leave til the end.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”